PSA - FOIP Face Tracking is Great with Ground Vehicles, too!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Holy cow, just drove my Cyclone again for the first time in a while. Being able to look around was incredible, it was like naturally driving. I always used to drive in 3rd person before, so I could see and avoid rocks. With the ability to keep quickly scanning left & right, I didn't need to do that; I just drove in 1st person.

YMMV!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
How do you find TrackIR over FOIP?
You mean how to turn it on in game you select device to use as head tracking..

You mean difference from FOIP I wouldn't know I don't have a webcam..

I know I don't have any response latency what so ever or lag with TrackIR ( pro is the version I'm using. )
Don''t know if a web cam give same low response latency as IR does, I don't have any real interest in the avatar face moving when talking.. even if it 's cool.
Tho think the VOIP in game is a great addition.

Might go for VR head set in stead of FOIP and only use the VOIP.. once it work correctly :D
But anyways head tracking make it so much more immersive, in any game that support it good.

CHEERS! 🍻

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
It works already a while now. One patch it didn't work, but if I'm not mistaken, that was a 2.x patch
Yeah it have been working more or less all the time since 2.6 think it was bugged out like crazy around 3.3-3.4 for a short period.

But now it's really working great, sure hope they don't mess that up now-.

CHEERS! 🍻

Reactions: marcsand2

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So what's a good webcam to use for this stuff?
I'm using a Logitech c920 webcam. It is old! from about 2014? It shows that it is selling on Amazon now for $58, that seems expensive. I would say, dig up whatever is in the bottom of your closet and see if that works...wait for CIG to announce their FaceWare camera and see how much that will cost. We've been waiting for that for how long now?

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I'm using a Logitech c920 webcam. It is old! from about 2014? It shows that it is selling on Amazon now for $58, that seems expensive. I would say, dig up whatever is in the bottom of your closet and see if that works...wait for CIG to announce their FaceWare camera and see how much that will cost. We've been waiting for that for how long now?
FaceWare was supposed to be out, or at the very least have pricing, earlier this year from what they were saying at CitCon. If you go looking for anything in their website about it though, you're going to come up empty. People have messaged their customer support about it and they say they are still actively working on the camera but that's about it. At this point I'm not going to hold my breath for the FaceWare camera anymore.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
FaceWare was supposed to be out, or at the very least have pricing, earlier this year from what they were saying at CitCon. If you go looking for anything in their website about it though, you're going to come up empty. People have messaged their customer support about it and they say they are still actively working on the camera but that's about it. At this point I'm not going to hold my breath for the FaceWare camera anymore.
I'm also expecting the FaceWare camera to cost a premium. Really, all you need is a decent webcam (720p & 30fps, although the higher the better, obviously). Webcam tech has been pretty much stagnant the last couple of years. Don't pay a premium!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
So what's a good webcam to use for this stuff?
For FOIP? I heard that 60 FPS is recommended, but as @Radegast74 mentioned, 30 FPS also gives good results. You must take in consideration your surrounding lightning. The cam must be able to detect your facial features. If you play in pitch dark, you face will only be lit by the light, emitted by your displays. On Citizencon 2017 they used FaceWare cams, with an additional light source in front of you...... right..... you get good results but you have to look into a light source. That's an absolute nogo, then I prefer my wireless TrackIr (which I always forget to switch off 😂 )

• Glorious
Reactions: Mich Angel

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Ok TrackIR is better than FOIP. Yes you lose the dumb faces, but I’m not looking at myself in-game anyway.

In addition to the accuracy, it’s the ability to custom map your input curves that makes the big difference.

Forgot your password?