Quantum Drives explained by Chris Roberts

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
@CosmicTrader , I up voted your excellent input post as well. Every up vote helps, hopefully. I thank each of you wonderful TESTies that up voted. I'm always happy to up vote each of yours when I learn about your posts to click the approval button. I swear this forum is turning me into a "click the LIKE button" addict. lols

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Okay so, there are actually three uses for the quantum drive? You can jump normally. You can jump "orbitally" which is much lower field, shorter distance--a kind of "microjump", and you can use the drive to open a wormhole and make a much longer jump. Makes sense. I'd like to learn more about this "orbital" application. I know there are separate drives that seem to be designed around microjumping. Do we need one installed for that kind of advantage?

BTW, anyone interested in the real physics behind this stuff will want to read here:

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Sometimes I regret springing for that Starfarer, I mean, an Orion or a prospector are still mining ships, but the StarF and G were always billed as fuel collection and refinement vessels. I always thought of it as the fleet's water boy, keeping the other ships hydrated. Now it seems you need to keep a portion of an operations resources running alternative mining and material transfer in addition to what the Starfarers are doing.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Okay so, there are actually three uses for the quantum drive? You can jump normally. You can jump "orbitally" which is much lower field, shorter distance--a kind of "microjump", and you can use the drive to open a wormhole and make a much longer jump. Makes sense. I'd like to learn more about this "orbital" application. I know there are separate drives that seem to be designed around microjumping. Do we need one installed for that kind of advantage?

BTW, anyone interested in the real physics behind this stuff will want to read here:

Yes! Good suggestion. Dr. James F. Woodward, a physicist, is the author.

One other resource a lot of people use is Isaac Arthur. His youtube channel is well used by sci fi authors, and gaming companies to come up with reasonable scenarios. He covers a wide range of material. You might want to cherry pick topics. Just be aware if you are new to his channel that Isaac has a speech impediment. You might want to turn on closed captioning until you get used to it. It doesn't take long to get used to it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Woodward's group at Cal State Fullerton is working through their NIAC Phase II funding right now, and NASA is changing the NIAC funding mechanism to allow for Phase III funding for the first time, so they can continue to support Woodward's work. Is very exciting. It appears NIAC Phase III will be $1M/year, and I expect Woodward will win the award. They're doing good work out there.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Woodward's group at Cal State Fullerton is working through their NIAC Phase II funding right now, and NASA is changing the NIAC funding mechanism to allow for Phase III funding for the first time, so they can continue to support Woodward's work. Is very exciting. It appears NIAC Phase III will be $1M/year, and I expect Woodward will win the award. They're doing good work out there.
This is awesome! I have a new hope that a new age of exploration comes about in my lifetime.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?