Question for TEST/Divison or anyone really

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Does test need anything automated to help out that you know off the top of your head?
You need to ask Montoya about this privately, but I have already suggested it would be great if TEST could offer its members things like a microjump calculator and an add on that analyzes opponent combat fire on screen and reports weapon type and range automatically. As new guns continue to enter the game it will eventually be impossible to memorize everything you see, and if you vcan actually tell similar S1 from S2 weapons for instance, that information and range info would offer TEST members significant advantage in game.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
You need to ask Montoya about this privately, but I have already suggested it would be great if TEST could offer its members things like a microjump calculator and an add on that analyzes opponent combat fire on screen and reports weapon type and range automatically. As new guns continue to enter the game it will eventually be impossible to memorize everything you see, and if you vcan actually tell similar S1 from S2 weapons for instance, that information and range info would offer TEST members significant advantage in game.
I've already asked Montoya privately if he wanted anything.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I was talking about my post xD
Oh, which one? I don't see any numbers in your reply
But I do see now questions outside of the ordered list that I didn't answer.

@DirectorGunner
So from my understanding you want to grab a .xml file from a data base of compiled .xml files to grab shit from it to import to riptide plugin and do some absolute position and rotation shit then continue on into a que list. It seems you want to gui for this as well? To be able to create this que list and i'm assuming multiple people will be able to access this?
Well not exactly.
The game encoded the XML, a third party tool from community modder Alluran, unencodes it so it can be used outside the engine.

From a converted XML (done on the users end before touching your script) it has object file paths and positional data.
The XMLs are called prefabs, in that it prefabricated an assembly of objects to make something. Whether it's a hangar, spaceship with it's mounts and weapons and internal corridors and rooms, etc.
Riptide and C4D is not easily accessible, Blender is free and accessible by anyone. Which is why the suggested change to being a Blender script.

No GUI needed, I've been using simple PowerShell and BAT scripts to convert older Star Citizen builds for years before the tools stopped working on the newest builds.
If you'd like to review/read up on the legacy of converting SC assets, here's a tutorial I wrote up in 2017.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50172/thread/how-to-start-modding-existing-star-citizen-assets/2418165

@DirectorGunner
Also what is the objective of this project for. It seems you are just looking to pull pictures and have them show up in Cinema 4d correctly? Are you looking to pull the rendered models with the .xml? I'm basing this on the github so if any steps or questions need to be modified let me know.
The objective/purpose is so that backers can recreate game assets outside of the engine, via this automated script idea. To save many many many hours of time and heartache.
Importing 3D objects into the correct places as given in the prefab XMLs.

Images, specifically speaking of textures, have to be converted first (by the user, not your script unless you want it to) using Eppi's texture conversion tool.
This makes them usable outside of the SC engine, for example in Blender.

Are you looking to pull the rendered models with the .xml?
In Blender, being able to run a script that reads the converted SC prefab XMLs and import all those assets (previously converted and prepared by the user) referenced in the XML, into their proper positions.

To answer the question you had about numbers after something, could you quote an example please, because I don't know what you're specifically referring to?

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well, C++ isn't a low level language. Assembler is... that's fun to learn in a "I have diarrhea and a stomach ache" sort of way.
BTW depending on what your objective is, C++ is a great language to learn but it's a heavyweight.
Assembler is not that bad. And to think some think of Assembler as a high level langue.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Oh, which one? I don't see any numbers in your reply
But I do see now questions outside of the ordered list that I didn't answer.

Well not exactly.
The game encoded the XML, a third party tool from community modder Alluran, unencodes it so it can be used outside the engine.

From a converted XML (done on the users end before touching your script) it has object file paths and positional data.
The XMLs are called prefabs, in that it prefabricated an assembly of objects to make something. Whether it's a hangar, spaceship with it's mounts and weapons and internal corridors and rooms, etc.
Riptide and C4D is not easily accessible, Blender is free and accessible by anyone. Which is why the suggested change to being a Blender script.

No GUI needed, I've been using simple PowerShell and BAT scripts to convert older Star Citizen builds for years before the tools stopped working on the newest builds.
If you'd like to review/read up on the legacy of converting SC assets, here's a tutorial I wrote up in 2017.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50172/thread/how-to-start-modding-existing-star-citizen-assets/2418165

The objective/purpose is so that backers can recreate game assets outside of the engine, via this automated script idea. To save many many many hours of time and heartache.
Importing 3D objects into the correct places as given in the prefab XMLs.

Images, specifically speaking of textures, have to be converted first (by the user, not your script unless you want it to) using Eppi's texture conversion tool.
This makes them usable outside of the SC engine, for example in Blender.

In Blender, being able to run a script that reads the converted SC prefab XMLs and import all those assets (previously converted and prepared by the user) referenced in the XML, into their proper positions.

To answer the question you had about numbers after something, could you quote an example please, because I don't know what you're specifically referring to?
You answered it, those questions after the numbers was, my questions were numbered.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
When I was in college, we had to learn how to do machine language, with dip switches.

This and punch cards I am so glad I never had the joy of dealing with. I do remember a story one of my professors told of dropping one of his punchcard trays.

It wasn't until I was writing code on an embedded device that I even had to bother with some limited Assembly and then it was only to allow for hardware access masking and some registry access lib so that I could then write standard c code for.

All that fun stuff only to be stuck writing accounting software in Java.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
All that fun stuff only to be stuck writing accounting software in Java.
I used to design and sometimes teach courses for C++, Java, C#, Python and a few other languages to junior and intermediate programmers in the industry I work in. I'm not exactly the world's best teacher, but I got tired of watching smart kids struggle to learn, then quit. All they needed was a little guidance and encouragement. I haven't done much of that in the last few years because of some personal circumstances, but I enjoyed it for a long time.

Reactions: DirectorGunner

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I used to design and sometimes teach courses for C++, Java, C#, Python and a few other languages to junior and intermediate programmers in the industry I work in. I'm not exactly the world's best teacher, but I got tired of watching smart kids struggle to learn, then quit. All they needed was a little guidance and encouragement. I haven't done much of that in the last few years because of some personal circumstances, but I enjoyed it for a long time.

I could be worse. I deal with all the time people who took up coding because they were told to or knew it could make a decent wage only to not be very skilled at it. What's worse is when you find out they have a master's degree or a Phd and still cannot write a method call without it being well architectural design. They seem incapable of seeing beyond connecting socket a to plug b.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Can you mentor me :D i need to not really be able to write python, but be able to understand it and read it. Which so far isnt terribly hard, but I want to learn how to code as well as a side hobby. My main job is cyber security so knowing and understanding what scripts and programs purposes are and what they affect will help

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Can you mentor me :D i need to not really be able to write python, but be able to understand it and read it. Which so far isnt terribly hard, but I want to learn how to code as well as a side hobby. My main job is cyber security so knowing and understanding what scripts and programs purposes are and what they affect will help
I certainly don't mind helping you out. I'm not sure how much time I have for mentoring (I am in the middle of starting a consulting business, and it can consume a lot of time some days), but if you ask in the forums here and I'm not available there's certainly others who might be able to help out too. Are you using a book or website?

Last edited:

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I certainly don't mind helping you out. I'm not sure how much time I have for mentoring (I am in the middle of starting a consulting business, and it can consume a lot of time some days), but if you ask in the forums here and I'm not available there's certainly others who might be able to help out too. Are you using a book or website?
Atm im using an app that is actually pretty intuitive, it allows people to post comments on each individual lesson that further explains if there is confusion. The app also comes with a built in interpreter so I can type up code and play around after each lesson, it also has challenges brought up by people for you to code etc. like convert normal time into military time with people inputing. The app is called sololearn.

Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Atm im using an app that is actually pretty intuitive, it allows people to post comments on each individual lesson that further explains if there is confusion. The app also comes with a built in interpreter so I can type up code and play around after each lesson, it also has challenges brought up by people for you to code etc. like convert normal time into military time with people inputing. The app is called sololearn.
Very cool, I like it. I explored their website for almost an hour lol.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
@DontTouchMyHoHos Just an update, MarkEmp updated his converter tool :3
https://testsquadron.com/threads/playing-with-sc-assets.9874/post-331907
He's working on additional improvements, maybe you can reach out to him on Github if you want to contribute?
https://github.com/Markemp
or Heffay
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/messages/member/59313
on the RSI spectrum, it's the same person.
I'll look into it. I'm on hold at the moment with this corona shit as im trying to sort out what is going on with my career and ive been hyper focused on studying for my school.

Reactions: DirectorGunner

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
a wise old programmer told me when I was first learning about computers. "All programming is essentially database programming."

and my subsequent experience confirmed this

learn SQL, Structured Query Language

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
a wise old programmer told me when I was first learning about computers. "All programming is essentially database programming."

and my subsequent experience confirmed this

learn SQL, Structured Query Language
If only I could get more of the programmers I work with to understand this...so many of their performance and stability issues that end up receiving multiple layers of code redundancies are all simply due to bad RDBMS structure/architecture and improper use of database objects.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If only I could get more of the programmers I work with to understand this...so many of their performance and stability issues that end up receiving multiple layers of code redundancies are all simply due to bad RDBMS structure/architecture and improper use of database objects.
That sounds like my theme song. That's a large part of why it takes 2 years or more to do what should be simple upgrades of enterprise software, But it's not just databases, it's also not understanding how inheritance works that causes spaghetti code.

Forgot your password?