Question: what are the best solo ships for PvE, which you can buy in game for aUEC in the current 3.16?

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
Next wipe, CCU to a Warden, and then sit on a Warden-Sentinel CCU, but don't apply until we really know more what the 'final' version of the Sent will be like. . .
I'm big on owning ships that cover different game loops. I like versatility and the E-Warfare appeals to me. I'm reasonably confident that CIG will make it useful and it being in the Vanguard hull is just icing on the cake.

If the E-war does suck, I'll probably CCU to the Harbinger to get the torpedoes and S3 guns on the turret.

Reactions: Dirtbag_Leader

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I'm big on owning ships that cover different game loops. I like versatility and the E-Warfare appeals to me. I'm reasonably confident that CIG will make it useful and it being in the Vanguard hull is just icing on the cake.

If the E-war does suck, I'll probably CCU to the Harbinger to get the torpedoes and S3 guns on the turret.
I have a Warden with a Sentinel BUK. You could also do a Sentinel with a Warden BUK. That way you get the best of both worlds.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I been doing all me bounty missions in me terrapin. It's good. Make dem ships go boom bom.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I have a Warden with a Sentinel BUK. You could also do a Sentinel with a Warden BUK. That way you get the best of both worlds.
Each of the Vanguard frames has a single advantage over the others, regardless of what you put in with the BUK/module. IIRC, the Warden has speed, the Hoplite has hull points, the Harbinger has an S3 turret and the Sentinel has stealth. Right now the Sentinel stats are fubar but one supposes this will be fixed.

In addition you will be able to swap the guts of each into each other, so you can add the Harby torp package to the Sentinel if you like, but you lose the EMP and you don't get the Harby S3 turret since that is part of the frame rather than the module.

I have not seen an official CIG update of what the electronic warefare package aboard the Sentinel is eventually supposed to do, and I suspect they will never make good on the promise that it will mimick other ship signatures, but rather just leave the EMP in place. Also we still haven't seen what CIG plans for spike missiles, and that appears may never happen. Surely if they intended to stay with the original vision of distortion damage spike missiles and torps, they could easily have been implemented and tested by now. So I am suspicious of what they intend in the future on the EM warefare front. Originally the Arrester III missiles were slated to do distortion damage (hence the name) and there were no S1 or S2 missiles that could do this. Such was the plan to make spiking unavailable to smaller fighers that had no S3 missile capability. I think though, they may have bagged all of that since there has been no word since the introduction of the Sentinel.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Each of the Vanguard frames has a single advantage over the others, regardless of what you put in with the BUK/module. IIRC, the Warden has speed, the Hoplite has hull points, the Harbinger has an S3 turret and the Sentinel has stealth. Right now the Sentinel stats are fubar but one supposes this will be fixed.

In addition you will be able to swap the guts of each into each other, so you can add the Harby torp package to the Sentinel if you like, but you lose the EMP and you don't get the Harby S3 turret since that is part of the frame rather than the module.

I have not seen an official CIG update of what the electronic warefare package aboard the Sentinel is eventually supposed to do, and I suspect they will never make good on the promise that it will mimick other ship signatures, but rather just leave the EMP in place. Also we still haven't seen what CIG plans for spike missiles, and that appears may never happen. Surely if they intended to stay with the original vision of distortion damage spike missiles and torps, they could easily have been implemented and tested by now. So I am suspicious of what they intend in the future on the EM warefare front. Originally the Arrester III missiles were slated to do distortion damage (hence the name) and there were no S1 or S2 missiles that could do this. Such was the plan to make spiking unavailable to smaller fighers that had no S3 missile capability. I think though, they may have bagged all of that since there has been no word since the introduction of the Sentinel.
According to the information on the BUKs the frame is the same and the changes from one version to the next are included in the "Combination Kit" (Or is it pack, I forget). For the Sentinel, Warden and Harbinger (maybe the Hoplite) with the kits, one Vanguard equals all Vanguards.

So for example a Warden or a Sentinel that applies the parts from the Harbinger kit would get the additional armor of the Harbinger (Specified in the original BUK and around 3.6, when the rework was being talked about) which would imply the change to speed and agility.

The turrets are swappable and should be included in the Combination kit. The Harbinger turret is supposed to have Ordinance Hardpoints instead of gun hardpoints, so shouldn't be able to equip size 3 guns, but that is a current workaround.

Like the Hornet Ghost, one would expect the Combination kit would also include stealth armor for the Sentinel, and the Warden/Harbinger kits would include the panels to make them not stealth.

The parts are supposed to be mix and match, so if you wanted the AR Cockpit of the Sentinel, the Torpedo module from the Harbinger and the Warden turret, with the Warden armor (and speed), on a Vanguard, you could do that, or any other combination.

The Hoplite was implied to be capable of handling combination kits, but that has never been officially stated, as far as I recall.

A set of Battlefield Upgrade Kits are also available for those who would like to keep their older Vanguard Wardens. The upgrade kits function as in-universe part sets which convert the existing ships to the variant’s specifications. This allows you to swap between the abilities of the Warden, Sentinel or Harbinger at will! The upgrade kits exist in world similar to the interior Retaliator upgrade pods and do not change the styling of the individual ships, just the weapons and other upgrades installed.
From: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14915-Vanguards-And-Then-There-Were-Three

Edited to add: One other point, at this point in time owning a BUK does you no good. My Sentinel BUK doesn't give me the guns, the components, and of course not the module nor does it give me a Sentinel as a loaner.

Reactions: White Lando

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yes well the question is what did CIG mean in this instance by the word "abilities"? This could be interpreted more than one way. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. My memory, which is not perfect; is that they were specific that the original BUKs did not change the armor nor reactor shielding, so the Warden's speed does not apply to the Harby, the Hoplite's armor does not apply to the Sentinel, etc.

If I had my wish, it would be that you're right and that sections of modules can be swapped out so you can do custom configs inside. Somehow I think that is too much work to expect.

If it is true you can spend cash and slap twin S3s atop any Vanguard, that will be huge cash in for CIG. Who would not want that?

Just FYI, the quad Panther turret on the Hurricane is S5 and the turret atop the Harby is S6, so eventually there's gonna be a reckoning what can fit up there.

Forgot your password?