Rare post from Chris Roberts on forums about Room Systems

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I was thinking folks... game play has to be fun, even in simulators. Problem is I am not sure how "fun" his example would be? It is a big gamble for devoting tech. money, and time to it. There are many games that had bad play mechanics ideas, and I applaud them for the creativity, but to me it sounds like more work than is necessary.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I do not think this is it. First this game is in the setting of the future... today we have fire suppression system and the people in the early 1900s would not be even able to imagine. I would expect... since the game has space ships, the AI for the ship could handle most of it with some minimal tasks for players to perform (probably at a terminal deploying the nanites or something).

I personally like to build and fix stuff, and I will probably take the role as an engineer/miner/scientist instead of an attack pilot, but this idea just does not sound that appealing to me.

His example is written like a movie script, and that action is great, but I am just not getting a warm fuzzy here. We'll see.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I was thinking folks... game play has to be fun, even in simulators. Problem is I am not sure how "fun" his example would be? It is a big gamble for devoting tech. money, and time to it. There are many games that had bad play mechanics ideas, and I applaud them for the creativity, but to me it sounds like more work than is necessary.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I do not think this is it. First this game is in the setting of the future... today we have fire suppression system and the people in the early 1900s would not be even able to imagine. I would expect... since the game has space ships, the AI for the ship could handle most of it with some minimal tasks for players to perform (probably at a terminal deploying the nanites or something).
As fas as I know SC ship doen't have and AI, but a "simple" assistance computer, that mean not automatical decision on the ship size.
Also CIG always state that SC will have a general feeling like StarWars, with WW2 combat and ship mechanics, that's why we also have manned turret and non light-speed laser weapons...

Reactions: Mich Angel

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The lore in the 'Verse is following the loss of the Generation Ship Arteimis with its AI pilot Janus, humanities faith in AI was dashed and all efforts to develop it further were banned:

This lore explains why the 'Verse remains as hands-on as it is.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So Chris did a follow up post and in it was a great bit of what teams are working on what.

As a point of data these teams can be anywhere from 4 people to over 20 people and of the 58 teams only 11 are exclusively dedicated to Squadron 42 and 12 for Star Citizen and the rest are shared (things like graphics, engine, actor, vehicle, AI, VFX, sound and so on), although a lot of the priorities for things like actor, vehicle and AI are driven by what Squadron needs.
I always figured most of the teams were working on Squadron 42 assets and given their not wanting to spoil it is why so much work doesn't seem to be showing up in the PU releases. But its great to see Chris talk about it.

Forgot your password?