Re-assigning joystick controls and learning to fly, again.

Zyllah

Commander
Oct 27, 2022
RSI Handle
Zyllah
I run dual joystick and I had them originally setup as left was the 6 degrees of movement and the right for roll/pitch/yaw. I've noticed watching peoples videos the tendency is to have the left set up for for/rev and roll with the right stick being pitch/yaw and Z not being used on either. Is this because not all joysticks have a Z axis and/or that Thrustmaster seems to have and issue with it being sticky/not working ? I've also noticed that people running dual sticks have the forward/rev and roll joystick on the left while HOTAS operators have it on the right why the switch ? Do people switch button assignments on their joysticks ? I'd be curious to see someone's button assignment, if they are running dual TM16K's that would be a bonus. Since I'm going to relearn flying may as well change everything from the get go.

• o7
Reactions: Deroth

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
I keep my mappings the same. I still have unused buttons but I am using a Hotas..

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Use BuzZz_Killer's mappings.

When I got my first HOSAS sticks (two Thrustmaster T.16000Ms) I tried several mappings - the ones provided in Star Citizen natively for that stick, a few other mapping files, and I even tried making my own. All that was something of a learning curve and quite time consuming. I got most of the way through that learning curve, despite it NOT being much fun.

Then I stumbled across u/BuzZz_Killer's mappings for Star Citizen. You can find them on Reddit (links go out of date over time, but try BuzZzKiller's Recommended Bindings updated for 3.17 PTU : starcitizen (reddit.com) as a starting point), copying or from that post, in his public Dropbox folder:
They are really comprehensive. They come with an image that (if you're old like me) you can crop to make four images zoomed in to the front and back views of each stick. I find them intuitive enough - worth accepting his bindings for all the buttons to skip having to figure out so many functions for myself.

Crucially, he supports three different sets of sticks with his mappings (and either HOSAS or HOTAS with two of those). So if you upgrade to higher-end sticks (I got Virpil Constellation Alphas), he has mappings for those too.

I wouldn't use anything else at the moment. This guy is very good, and I really appreciate his work.

[Edited for clarity and completeness]

Last edited:
Reactions: White Lando

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I originally ran dual TM16km sticks, now dual VKBs.
On the right stick I have standard pitch, yaw, and roll.
On the left stick I have twist/(z) for forward/backward strafe/throttle, with x/y strafing in the other two degrees of movement. I see a lot of people using left twist instead for strafing up/down and Y-axis for forward/backward/throttle.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Left stick: strafe up / down / left / right
Right stick: pitch / yaw
But I also have rudder pedals and a throttle for the additional axis.

I don't use twist because I don't have twist by choice.
It makes controlling only 2 axis on 1 stick more precise than also having to worry about unintended input from the 3rd axis on the 2 main axis.

Zyllah

Commander
Oct 27, 2022
RSI Handle
Zyllah
Use BuzZz_Killer's mappings.

When I got my first HOSAS sticks (two Thrustmaster T.16000Ms) I tried several mappings - the ones provided in Star Citizen natively for that stick, a few other mapping files, and I even tried making my own. All that was something of a learning curve and quite time consuming. I got most of the way through that learning curve, despite it NOT being much fun.

Then I stumbled across u/BuzZz_Killer's mappings for Star Citizen. You can find them on Reddit (links go out of date over time, but try BuzZzKiller's Recommended Bindings updated for 3.17 PTU : starcitizen (reddit.com) as a starting point), copying or from that post, in his public Dropbox folder:
They are really comprehensive. They come with an image that (if you're old like me) you can crop to make four images zoomed in to the front and back views of each stick. I find them intuitive enough - worth accepting his bindings for all the buttons to skip having to figure out so many functions for myself.

Crucially, he supports three different sets of sticks with his mappings (and either HOSAS or HOTAS with two of those). So if you upgrade to higher-end sticks (I got Virpil Constellation Alphas), he has mappings for those too.

I wouldn't use anything else at the moment. This guy is very good, and I really appreciate his work.

[Edited for clarity and completeness]
Downloaded and installed, thanks. Will go out and learn to fly again, hopefully get comfortable enough to join crashalot today

Forgot your password?