Re-learning to Fly - Thrustmaster 16000

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
After some time off, getting back into things. Been mostly tuning up my ground fighting, now I want to re-learn flying. I was a keyboard and mouse person until about an hour ago, when I got a delivery of a shiny new Thrustmaster 16k. Single joystick (wouldn't want to overwhelm myself with 2 right away, I'd have to skip the beer) and wanted to keep the budget in check while I tested it out. My limited research has shown me a couple things that are of course complete opposites of each other. Of the first 2 YouTube videos I watched, one said skip the TARGET software, the other said you have to use the software. So I searched on the TESTie forums here and found some advice in this forum back in November:

The advice from @Raven_King is to go get BuzzKillers mappings to save myself lots of headaches and time to ramp up on setting it all up myself.

Is there any additional things folks have learned that I should know about, keeping in mind I've **NEVER** used a joystick before (but was doing OK with keyboard/mouse a few years ago), so this should be some good times of spectacular crashes for a while. Is it still thought that the Buzzkiller mappings are the ones to go for?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Skip the target software it is garbage - I run nu just plugging in the USB and going into SC and mapping buttons etc. Easy.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I'd also recommend this way if you aren't convinced by @BUTUZ.
Same. Skip the Target software unless and until you find a specific function that justifies it.

Another thought which might be counterintuitive - with just one stick, it's worth trying the stick for strafe/translational movement, and using the mouse for aim/rotational movements. I know a couple of people who swear by this method, but be aware it is well down the slippery slope to dual-stick supremacy.

Lonewollf

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lonewollf
my recommendation is to get the throttle that goes along with the 16k. One of the biggest downsides that I find with the 16k is the twist rotation of the stick is easily borked, so I just disable that in the keybinds. I reassign that to my throttle, and strafe to a control on that as well. I also do not use the TARGET software.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
my recommendation is to get the throttle that goes along with the 16k. One of the biggest downsides that I find with the 16k is the twist rotation of the stick is easily borked, so I just disable that in the keybinds. I reassign that to my throttle, and strafe to a control on that as well. I also do not use the TARGET software.
I definitely took a look at the throttle too, and thought that with all the buttons and stuff on the stick I couldn't possibly need the throttle too. Last night I setup just the basics and tried it out for a few minutes, and said, damn, it would be nice to have the throttle too! LOL. So, thanks for validating what I was thinking. See, now I need to order new toys to add on to it before the weekend hits. I knew that would happen!

As noted by all, it was easy to setup, did not use the target software, smooth as can be to get working.

Lonewollf

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lonewollf
I definitely took a look at the throttle too, and thought that with all the buttons and stuff on the stick I couldn't possibly need the throttle too. Last night I setup just the basics and tried it out for a few minutes, and said, damn, it would be nice to have the throttle too! LOL. So, thanks for validating what I was thinking. See, now I need to order new toys to add on to it before the weekend hits. I knew that would happen!

As noted by all, it was easy to setup, did not use the target software, smooth as can be to get working.

to add onto this, if/when you do get the throttle, just make note of which device registers in the game as game device 1 or 2. This will cut down on alot of headaches. If when you get it, feel free to reach out to me and I'll gladly share all the mistakes that I've made with this. For me it definitely was a life changer for playing the game. I've tried the dual sticks and just couldn't get used to that idea.

My next investment is going to be rudder pedals. And a stream deck xl, but that's a story for another thread me thinks

Lonewollf

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lonewollf
Thanks @Lonewollf, that throttle inversion was making me a bit nutty!
Most welcome. I know how much of a pain in the @$$ it was to figure this out. I could not find answers for the longest of times, and then I think it was on here where I found the answers I was looking for.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
btw, the same methods work pretty much the same way for using the Airbus equipment from ThrustMaster.. I don't like the Airbus throttle controls, but you can use the ThrustMaster TMCS throttle the exact same way.

One other note... If you rest your hand on the "hand rest" on the stick, you are inputting a signal to the potentiometer for the direction of any pressure your hand applies from it's weight alone and will shorten it's life considerably. It's an easy repair if you are good with troubleshooting electronics and soldering but otherwise it's incredibly annoying.
They're meant as a lever to help you move the stick when you need it not as a hand rest. What I do is the same thing real fighter pilots do, that is rest my arm on something else Just take the weight off the stick. A chair arm works, pad it if you need it padded - a strip of memory foam or something else that's softer than the corner of your desktop is cheaper than a new stick even when the stick isn't expensive.

Last edited:

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
If you rest your hand on the "hand rest" on the stick, you are inputting a signal to the potentiometer for the direction of any pressure your hand applies from it's weight alone and will shorten it's life considerably.
Damn, that actually exlains why that 1600 stick always needs that ever expanding deadzone.
I will try out that alternative armrest even though I got a Gladiator NXT now.
Guess it makes sense to do so for any stick.

Reactions: Graptor and Vavrik

Lonewollf

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lonewollf
Makes sense. I've been looking for alternative places to put my hotas. Right now, it's on top of my desk, and that makes the stick almost 8 inches higher than the arm rest of my chair. I've been looking at the MonsterTech desk mounts.

Reactions: Graptor and Vavrik
Forgot your password?