re: Polaris Update Video

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I was thinking up to 14 total. In the walkthrough of the bunkroom, we can see 8 bunks as we walk in, but in the far wall we see 4 of them embedded in the far wall. If the same holds true to the inside of the wall we can't see (as we are looking away), that would bring us to 12. Add in the CO and XO rooms, and that would bring us up to 14. Some of those could be medical staff, or extra engineers for a ship this size. Or the extra bunks could be to support a higher headcount for multiple work shifts.

10 or 14, either way it is a vast reduction in the max of 24 in the original concept brochure.
I'm only seeing one pair of racks on each side in the middle and one, each side, against the wall.
My impression from the brochure is no hot bunking.

Even at 14 that is light for a "Flagship for Militia operations."

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
They have always said that the max capacity of 24 was not reflective of the needed crew, because that number included crew working in shifts (see Polaris old q&a).

So reducing that number is probably not a surprise.
Like the Carrack, it, likely, falls below what the "shipyard" article defines as "minimum crew."

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
But kinda breaks the immersion to think that after a couple of day being on battlestation thanks to running behind enemy lines the hole crew will consist of sleep-deprived overdosed maniacs.
Oh well, nothing unusual in this Org i presume
Turrets operated by sleep-deprived, yet twitchy from the overdose of caffeine and high on the adrenaline from the constant battle readied state....... ITS GOING TO BE GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
I'm only seeing one pair of racks on each side in the middle and one, each side, against the wall.
My impression from the brochure is no hot bunking.

Even at 14 that is light for a "Flagship for Militia operations."
During the walkthrough (at 9:33) you only see those 2 rows of 4 bunks each, but if you go to ~8:30 in the video you can see (from a bird's eye view) a third row that isn't seen while walking as the point of view is facing away them.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
This does look a nice ship to be fair.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'm pretty sure the min crew remains at 11: 5 bridge officers, 5 turret gunners and 1 engineer. Perhaps the engineer can oversee NPC engineers for things like the torp room. CIG also mentioned they expected a troop of NPC marines aboard, and it makes good sense to assign 3 NPCs to each turret gunner since odds are, you won't need the turrets when boarding or being boarded. You won't be boarded while the turrets are operative. Plus 3 NPCs for the engineer.

I think there may be some flexibility as to what tasks to assign each bridge officer. Last I counted there are about a dozen vital tasks, plus communications if you're flying with a fleet or have scouts. Scout craft pilots are in addition to the rest of the crew--hence my contention that there are not nearly enough bunks aboard.

I really wish CIG would dump the escape pod notion. They seem tied to it like a ball and chain. Fact is, all ships go boom with far to little notice for escape pods to be useful, and they thieve way too much room aboard. I personally have plans to stack containers in the escape pods in the 400i cargo bay, as the extra storage is worth far more than pods that will never be used.

Reactions: Garonman

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I’m still feeling annoyed by what feels like a deception. Someone tell me, how many times did they say they couldn’t fit everything in, yet they changed the ship from 4 to just 2 decks. This isn’t a larger ship. It’s a much smaller ship than what they sold us. Look at the old side view deckplans:
i have to admit being newer here I didn't know about it originally being 4 levels. Is it not utilising available space more efficiently though so even though 2 levels may be lost it is more open meaning 2 different areas can sort of mix more fluidly?

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
i have to admit being newer here I didn't know about it originally being 4 levels. Is it not utilising available space more efficiently though so even though 2 levels may be lost it is more open meaning 2 different areas can sort of mix more fluidly?
As they said in the video, the concept for the inside didn't fit within the concept for the outside. There have been ships where the released version was dramatically different than the concept described (Khartu-al comes to mind) but in my opinion this isn't all that different from the few sketches we had. Nothing was 'lost' and despite Shadow's grousing there isn't any deception going on. It's Art as much as Computer Science; the metrics needed for player avatars, npc's, ship components, landing pads, weapons sizes.. none of that had been resolved when the Polaris was proposed.

The game CIG is building now may be the one Chris Roberts wants, but it's very different from what he proposed in 2012, and no place shows that better than the older ship concepts.

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
As they said in the video, the concept for the inside didn't fit within the concept for the outside. There have been ships where the released version was dramatically different than the concept described (Khartu-al comes to mind) but in my opinion this isn't all that different from the few sketches we had. Nothing was 'lost' and despite Shadow's grousing there isn't any deception going on. It's Art as much as Computer Science; the metrics needed for player avatars, npc's, ship components, landing pads, weapons sizes.. none of that had been resolved when the Polaris was proposed.

The game CIG is building now may be the one Chris Roberts wants, but it's very different from what he proposed in 2012, and no place shows that better than the older ship concepts.
Exactly, this was the last ship in the pipeline that did not have a full blockout to metrics and early whitebox done before it was sold. They also did away with all the empty space and long hallways that added nothing to the gameplay of this ship.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'm just glad they maintained the silhouette of the ship. As much as I like the Carrack it still is not as grand looking as the concept was.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Nothing was 'lost' and despite Shadow's grousing there isn't any deception going on.
They removed the vehicle bay without mention. If you plan to use this for exploration you now have a problem. They also removed the holo-viewer. if you planned to use the bridge for tactical analysis during battle, you now have a problem. These were both elements that directly impact the function of the ship, and now they're gone, and you think that's okay. I don't. Were you planning on flying one of these? You think it's okay you can no longer fit 200 SCU cargo and a couple Ursas in here? Two of the three elevators are gone, but noting this ship is not what they sold us is somehow out of bounds?

They say they did a more careful and deliberate stab at getting the sizes and spaces right. Don't you think it's telling they didn't say how much cargo will now fit, and note they removed the holo-viewer?

Likewise there are fewer bunks and the bunks they have do NOT make good use of space. They were instead focused on the now RSI signature trapezoidal hallways, but the ship most assuredly does NOT make good use of space.

Have you ever been on a real ship? They don't have 3m wide hallways. None of them.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
They removed the vehicle bay without mention. If you plan to use this for exploration you now have a problem. They also removed the holo-viewer. if you planned to use the bridge for tactical analysis during battle, you now have a problem. These were both elements that directly impact the function of the ship, and now they're gone, and you think that's okay. I don't. Were you planning on flying one of these? You think it's okay you can no longer fit 200 SCU cargo and a couple Ursas in here? Two of the three elevators are gone, but noting this ship is not what they sold us is somehow out of bounds?

They say they did a more careful and deliberate stab at getting the sizes and spaces right. Don't you think it's telling they didn't say how much cargo will now fit, and note they removed the holo-viewer?

Likewise there are fewer bunks and the bunks they have do NOT make good use of space. They were instead focused on the now RSI signature trapezoidal hallways, but the ship most assuredly does NOT make good use of space.

Have you ever been on a real ship? They don't have 3m wide hallways. None of them.

You've had plenty of shots at being a friendly human. Stepped over a line here, as you tend to do.

That cargo bay is huge, and so is the ramp leading up to it. Guesses I've heard by interested parties go over 200 SCU, and it definitely has room for vehicles.

Tactical analysis tools are not defined, and like scanning, will likely have MFD as well as fancier setups. Polaris include fleet control in it's role.. Maybe ask CR and Todd Papy how they intend to implement it because they've not told the rest of us.

I have 4 years day for day on my sea counter, and that includes all the oceans on the planet while deployed on USS Coral Sea, USS Nimitz, and USS Abraham Lincoln. I also carry a number of fancy letters/designators that came with that life choice over a 20 year career. I'm probably one of the few in this vast organization that has EWAR, NATO and F-18 on their professional resumes (if there are others, drop me a line and lets talk!) So yes, it could be said I know something about ships. Just a little.

I currently work for the company that builds the KC-46A, where I was initially hired as a troubleshooter on that aircraft build. Kinda fun what a Master's degree and a career in the Navy can lead too.. Yesterday I was in the same bay as the last 747 to ever be constructed, before it was rolled out for the world to see. No credits on that one though, just a really cool happy/sad moment.

My opinions, such as they are, tend to be anchored in these experiences. Star Citizen's ability to allow me to apply the mental processes learned over these experiences is what hooked me, it's what has held me in the game, dragged my ass through concierge levels and brought me into Evocati.

So tell your pride to shut the fuck up, and engage with the rest of us with the intellect you have demonstrated in the past. Other people DO actually have valuable input; you clearly think so or you wouldn't bother reading our posts. And YOU have thoughts to offer; I'm always game to engage with them as long as it doesn't insult someone.

I'll refer you back to rule number one.

So what say you? Can we talk?

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I have a lot of respect for your background, but if you want to tell me to shut the fuck up, you need a stubbly beard, shit-eating grin and then buy me a beer. So don't be a dick. Where's my beer?

Hey, let me be pissed. They fucked up my beloved Sentinel and now the Polaris. I need ten more bunks, and with an entire deck missing, they can't do that. I am a sad ham.

• Drunk
Reactions: Ayeteeone

DayOfEnd

Lieutenant
Dec 3, 2022
RSI Handle
DayOfEnd
The turrets were S4 twin guns already before, except the one under the cockpit which was a twin S5 gun pilot controlled.
From the old Q&A it used to be :
• 4x S10 Torpedo Launch tubes
• 5x Manned Turrets (Twin S4 Weapons)
• 1x Remote Manned Turret (Twin S5 Weapons)
• 1x Automated Turret (Twin S4 Weapons)
• 2x Anti-Fighter Missile Racks, each carrying 16x S3 Missiles

From the look of the guns, it seems that they are all twin S5 guns now (so at least S6 turrets, like the redeemer), since all the guns are now the same as the belly gun.
Did they say if torps will be pilot controlled ?

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I have a lot of respect for your background, but if you want to tell me to shut the fuck up, you need a stubbly beard, shit-eating grin and then buy me a beer. So don't be a dick. Where's my beer?

Hey, let me be pissed. They fucked up my beloved Sentinel and now the Polaris. I need ten more bunks, and with an entire deck missing, they can't do that. I am a sad ham.
One beer at CitizenCon. After that, whiskey. 🥃

Wait, let me include one here too !
🍻

Forgot your password?