Recent Blizzard and Square Enix news ( and fallout) gives me more confidence in CIG !

Dorian Grey

Space Marshal
Feb 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Renstler
Hey guys:
We are at a crossroads where BIG bloated publishers are shifting towards a full on greed mindset and destroying IPs and franchises and fingering Loyal fans. The Diablo/Blizzard debacle, the Final Fantasy 15 DLC cancellation plus all of the EA and CoD drama, leave rooms for Indie companies like CIG, CD Project Red to step forward and SHINE SHINE SHINE ! I love this !! and looking forward to the future! lol what do you guys think? :)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
After watching todays ATV where Sandy grilled Chris by asking the though quesitons of "why the hell are we not getting what you said we would", I got the same feeling as you. Go CIG!

The Diablo disaster (which I wasn't surprised by after how disappointing and primitive D3 was, and that they are still milking it like it's the holy grail of ARPGs), and after the clearly "lazy-cashgrab" attempt of the latest WoW expansion (which does everything in it's power to make you pay for as many months as they can possibly make you by doing the story updates like every 4-6 months and constraining every way of progression to daily/weekly "randomly generated" rewards), I kinda lost hope in Blizzard.
I loved their games, played em religiously on day one, but they lost their touch. I don't play HotS on principle (MOBAs in general can go die in a ditch, especially ones with lootboxes), and Overwatch is loosing it's soul and uniqueness with every new "balance/rework update" they keep making. Hearthstone is P2W, but that's okay. It's a CCG, it's expected.

With EA, at least I know what to expect lol They going all political on players who just wanted a damn shooter wasn't a smart move though...
CoD will be CoD, an okay run of the mill shooter like it always was, who cares anymore really?
What happened to the FF DLC is kinda surprising, I thought it was their sacred milk cow and would keep adding stuff until the next one comes out. Strange and disappointing.

It's a sad state we as gamers find ourselves in really. Most big titles are so monetized that it ruins the experience, regardless of what kinda of game it is (I just shift-deleted NFS:LatestCashgrab from my hard drive for getting obnoxiously greedy as you progress in the story) and 99.99999999% of Indie games are just pure junk. While there are more games released every day than ever bofre, what we are left with is a few rare gems from both the big guys and small guys.

CDPR still has some guts to make games that are actually fun and not based solely around monetization, I can't wait for them to release Cyberpunk!

Until then, I got some ships to buy in 3.3, finish (or rather properly get into) Yakuza 0, and to finally play more than 30 minutes of RDR1 on my xb360 lol
I owned that game for like 2 years now, had it installed, never touched it.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Fallout 76 (lvl 16 so far), has scared me with their atom store currency. After this has been cleared up --> achievement points you can spend or buy with real money, a second potnetial abyss has emerged: caps needed for relocating your camp and for fast travel.

Why? Because quests send you all over the map and fast traveling is a very high in demand QoL feature. A bigger distance may cost you 10-30 caps. Rarely you will find 1-3 caps on enemies. Like maybe 5 caps out of 10 super mutants.
Vendors do not get all your caps from buying = the 3 i checked out yesterday were all at "0" caps to trade, although i bought multiple plans for a total of 300 caps from one. It did not get any of those.
Storage is limited at 400 lbs, each object takes 1 space when a certain weight limit is reached = 5 lbs weapon = 5 lbs in storeage. 100 pistol amunition = 1-2 lbs in storage. 1800 steel = a lot of lbs. You get the point. There is no way to increase your base's storage.

And on top of that, you very rarely find plans to craft weapons. Without, you can't craft anything good. Even a mere knuckle needs to be learned with a plan. Sometimes those are sold from vendors... for 50-300+ caps. You see were i am going?

If you can buy caps for real money, then this game has cash grab mechanics included and it makes me want to puke. If not, then let's say it's suspicious at least.

PvP camps demand 30 caps to "claim" and reward items afterwards.
Cap boxes are pretty rare and contain 5-20 caps.
My luck (which may increase caps) is at 4, so not the worst.
And a weapon listed at 80 caps sells for 3-5 caps (wiith 4 charisma and no trade perk)

After all 4 play tests, i had around 800 caps, which i spent on 4 plans and a lot of fast traveling.

The game in itself is fun, but fast traveling behind a caps wall is a no go. And the cap collector perk now only increases caps you find in cap storages (cap boxes). Previously, this perk allowed you to find caps everywhere. So your overall cap income - if you fast travel to every single location - will be very low. If you do every event quest, and walk a lot, you can slowly go up. Fast travel to your camp is free btw.

-----

Blizzard and the Diablo shitshow has now been commented from most sides and if you missed the latest news: D4 is in production for years now, but rumors state that they needed to start over a couple of times. Also, there is D3 content coming next year, but honeslty, this has taken too long and burned me out waiting for anything new.

So yeah, i do get your sentiment and hope that we will see huge and well thought out projects over the next years, to fill the holes left by unsatisfying games and their developers.

Last edited:

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
If anything, we should be talking about SW:BF II (2017). I know it's an "EA product", but the lies that the devs and community managers have been spewing is ridiculous.

Case in point: Their community manager is on record for saying "If we have the assets, it's in the game." (or something to that effect). He's saying that everything that's in the game right now is all that's in the game. There aren't any other assets that are there but are unavailable.

Challenge accepted! The community then found that there were assets for a SHIT ton of stuff that wasn't yet in the game. Grievous, new levels, actual player skins that the devs said "wouldn't work" (or whatever).

So, the devs had to say that "not everything that's in the game files is playable, but we're working on it."

Cue months and months of "Soon™" and still, nothing. Finally, over a year after they released BFII, they release Grievous and it's a buggy nightmare. Updates are slow in coming, and this is a AAA studio (DICE) who has experience in patching "minor issues".

SW:BF II has cemented the notion that EA kills franchises. They don't do it with inherently horrible games, as that would be obvious to the rights holder. Instead, they crank out mediocre AAA titles that pull in a lot of money on hype, and then fail to maintain them properly. They aren't supporting their community like a good developer/producer should.

I love the story mission in BFII, but it was pretty obvious what the twist would be, and how it would end. The story was also ridiculously short, since it was pretty obvious most people were going to buy the game for multiplayer mode.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
If anything, we should be talking about SW:BF II (2017). I know it's an "EA product", but the lies that the devs and community managers have been spewing is ridiculous.

Case in point: Their community manager is on record for saying "If we have the assets, it's in the game." (or something to that effect). He's saying that everything that's in the game right now is all that's in the game. There aren't any other assets that are there but are unavailable.

Challenge accepted! The community then found that there were assets for a SHIT ton of stuff that wasn't yet in the game. Grievous, new levels, actual player skins that the devs said "wouldn't work" (or whatever).

So, the devs had to say that "not everything that's in the game files is playable, but we're working on it."

Cue months and months of "Soon™" and still, nothing. Finally, over a year after they released BFII, they release Grievous and it's a buggy nightmare. Updates are slow in coming, and this is a AAA studio (DICE) who has experience in patching "minor issues".

SW:BF II has cemented the notion that EA kills franchises. They don't do it with inherently horrible games, as that would be obvious to the rights holder. Instead, they crank out mediocre AAA titles that pull in a lot of money on hype, and then fail to maintain them properly. They aren't supporting their community like a good developer/producer should.

I love the story mission in BFII, but it was pretty obvious what the twist would be, and how it would end. The story was also ridiculously short, since it was pretty obvious most people were going to buy the game for multiplayer mode.
Not a surprise, EA has a long and storied history of doing that (Examples: Every property they acquired when they lied to WestWood Studio ownership so they'd agree to sell.)

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?