Saitek x52 pro vs Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Neverded

Lieutenant
Sep 18, 2014
RSI Handle
Neverded
I couldn't find any comparisons here, but please correct me if I'm blind. Has anyone been able to do a 1 to 1 comparison of the Logitech extreme 3d pro vs the Saitek x52 pro in Arena Commander? I'm looking for a new flight stick and would like to hear from someone who has tried them both in Arena Commander. I'm sure this is kind of an apples to oranges comparison but any input would be nice.

robojomo

Grand Admiral
Aug 27, 2014
RSI Handle
robojomo
No Experience with the x52, but the extreme 3d pro is good for the money. One thing I can say is using the twist for roll or yaw can do a number on your wrist if you play for long sessions. Mine finally busted after 10 years so my old man is letting me borrow his G940, but I may buy another one.

I have had calibration problems with mine, but I think it was an age/wear issue. ie throttle won't always return to zero and when I move the stick to the left slightly it goes right.

Reactions: Neverded

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Can't compare, but I got my x52 pro a week ago. Out of the box it has a diamond shaped output when you try to make circles in a testing program. But there are very simple mods that use $5 worth of magnets that fix this entirely.
The AC controls are messed up atm, they are for the non pro so the buttons are all messed up. But there are xmls out there that fix that. I would strongly suggest swapping yaw and roll as the twist on the stick is a lot stiffer than the x/y movement and atm yaw is far more important.

Overall good stick, accurate with tons of buttons and a solid throttle. It also has more lights than a Christmas tree and needs a bit of love to get up to its potential.

Neverded

Lieutenant
Sep 18, 2014
RSI Handle
Neverded
Thanks for the input so far guys. The XML thing is really annoying to have to deal with right now. I know it will get fixed at some point, but that doesn't mean I can't complain.

Atriden

Captain
Aug 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Atriden
I am really glad for my x52 pro, but as it is now in AC it is hard to aim with it compared to mouse and keyboard.
The magnet mod is a must and almost or entirely removes the dead zone. Luckily it is a easy mod. All and all it feels and looks great although it is a bit expensive.

I have no experience with the Logitech stick so I can't help u there but I have heard that its good for its price point.

My recommendation would be to buy the Logitech Extreme pro 3d, see if you like flying with a joystick and wait till official SC Hotas comes out.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
No experience with the x52, but I *DO* have an x55. I haven't had any issues with it since I swapped the spring out for one of the weaker ones that came with it. I love the stick, I love the software, and I'm very happy with my purcahse. Not terribly helpful, I know, so I leave you this: You may be able to get hands on with one or both sticks at a local electronics store such as best buy, who usually have at least one stick out on display. Last time I was in mine, they had an extreme 3d on display, and it felt OK, but very very generic, ergonomics-wise. I had an old logitech attack 3, and this felt very similar, which is a negative in my book.

MAGGIOMAN

Captain
Jul 11, 2014
RSI Handle
MAGGIOMAN
Extreme 3D pro you get what you pay for. It's pretty lightweight with a decently resistive spring, so if you are going to jerk the stick around you may want to clamp it down. The tracking seems accurate enough, but I haven't used another joystick before to compare it to. All the buttons but the trigger suck. They have a really short travel with a metallic click when depressed, at least the ones on the base do. The hat switch works but isn't anything speical. The throttle doesn't work that great, it's just a flap for your thumb to move forward and back, you don't really have a reference for how far forward it is.

tl;dr: you get what you pay for, in this price range it is probably one of the better ones, but if you are looking for a finely crafted product save up your money for something else.

Neverded

Lieutenant
Sep 18, 2014
RSI Handle
Neverded
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I'll sit and wait a little bit until I can get the x52 pro. The magnet mod doesn't look too difficult and I'm really not impressed with the look of the Logitech. I might even stretch for the x55, but from what I've seen on other sites there has been some quality control issues. Again I want to thank everyone who responded.

Raggy

Commander
Jun 9, 2014
RSI Handle
TheRaggy
I've been using the thrust master t. Flight hotas (the cheapo one) and I have to say it's got some bang for its buck. The build quality and lack of weight do cause it to slide a touch which bothers me. I do tend to jiggle my stick a rather lot ;)

Does anyone have experience with the x55? It's at the upper limit of my budget, and I can't stretch to the warthog.

Of course if the concept sale goes the way I think it will my budget will look more like...

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I have an x55. I love it. People have reported QC issues with it, but I haven't experienced any of them. All the buttons work, the stick is accurate and feels solid, and everythign is easy to reach and use.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Just to hijack for a hot second more, the X55 is *big*, so be aware if you do decide to buy it.
See the attached photo, and pardon the dust, I was busy and hadn't done it that week.

Raggy

Commander
Jun 9, 2014
RSI Handle
TheRaggy
Just to hijack for a hot second more, the X55 is *big*, so be aware if you do decide to buy it.
See the attached photo, and pardon the dust, I was busy and hadn't done it that week.
Ultra, I can forgive a little dust... But Wtf is with the empty glass?!

Someone get this hero of TEST a beer!

Btw, loving the trip monitor setup. I used to run an eyefinity rig but I recently switched to nvidia with a single 144mhz monitor, it's like butter now but I miss the field of vision.

Madfish

Captain
Aug 10, 2014
RSI Handle
dottedfish
Regarding joysticks I'll add my opinion:

Sticks I have used which broke / were sold off / replaced by new model:
  • Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS
  • CH Fighterstick
  • Saitek X52 HOTAS
  • Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS
  • Misc. Logitech Sticks
Currently using:
  • Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
  • Thrustmaster T16.000 (usually together with Warthog throttle)
Plus various things I won't list up like rudder pedals etc. because they're not HOTAS :)

Things to take into consideration:
  1. Do you want to use it for simulation (e.g. are you going after a replica) or
  2. Are you going for playability (best hardware to get things done efficiently)
If you're after simulation there aren't many sticks I'd recommend aside from the Warthog.
That said it's buttons are hard to press, not of much use for everyday gaming (too many switches, massively lacking buttons and rotaries - only 1 button on the throttle grip, 2 more on the base!)

My recommendations for space pilots are:
  1. Saitek x55 (200$/€)
  2. If too expensive get a used Saitek x52 Pro (100$/€)
  3. If that is too expensive get a Thrustmaster T16.000 (35$/€ has throttle slider but no dedicated throttle unit!)

Those offer Maximum precision possible at the price point with great amounts of buttons.

Remember: While you can build a F16 cockpit you'll never be able to build replicas of all space ships on Star Citizen for example. On top of that all additional custom hardware will be in the way if you are using Virtual Reality glasses. So prepare yourself with hardware that has massive amounts of buttons under your fingers.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?