Scorpius Antares Drama!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Comparing the Antares to the Mantis I think the newer ship has the advantage for one very important reason:

Although the Antares can be mispronounced "Ant Asses" (ant-arses in the UK) the Mantis can be mispronounced "Man Tits" which is much, much worse.

Freak0

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 31, 2019
RSI Handle
Freako_0
A quantum compare.jpg

My Initial thoughts:
  • Mantis is in a class by itself. It is the only ship with a snare.
    • This means that if you want to pull players out of quantum, then you MUST have a Mantis.
    • This implies dps will be required for the trap to work most of the time.
    • 2 + ships needed.
  • EMP ship comparison. More cross over however, Antares is the most focused of all options.
    • Hawk - prisoner transport and logging off.
    • Raven - 2 emp's and can data run (not in-game yet) and is stealthy.
    • Sentinel - Living compartment and modularity.
    • Warlock - economy option.
  • Dampener ship comparison.
    • Blue is able to carry cargo, log off, store equipment, and transport prisoners. I think it is faster under boost as well.
    • Mantis costs less, has snare, and a living area to log off.
Antares use cases:
  • Supporting a mantis as two snare-bubbles provide more range flexibility.
  • Roaming a system to PvP in small gangs.
    • Limited flight deck room. Ie. transporting on a Liberator or maybe an Idris.

I think Montoya is correct in that a mantis + Scorpius (or other dps ship) would likely suffice. If you have one ship, then having an EMP or dampener in a ship with more utility is better. I'm not convinced the Antares will cost more than a Scorpius as well. Regarding access to the ship? I have no feelings either way as I am not a streamer. It should be released to the general public in a day so I do not think it is that important. Quality of content is more important than a 24 to 36 hour head start. IMO of course.

I have the F8-Lightening and a Scorpius. I do not intend on getting the Antares. I 'may' pick up the Mantis though.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
This ship was yet another mistake.
This is a single-purpose specialized ship, unique in it's use case. It should've been it's own unique chassis, not tacked onto something. Then no-one would expect it to do x or y, CiG would be free to set it up as they please, and everyone would treat it as it should be treated, a single-use tool, not a jack of all trades with a bonus.

I feel like this is yet another case of Chris wanting a ship with this gameplay mechanic attached, and then marketing stepped in and made it into this...thing. Cos jack of all trades with a fancy bonus thing sells waaaay better than a specialty ship that's otherwise useless on it's own, even if it makes no fucking sense gameplay wise and will never balance out.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
even if it makes no fucking sense gameplay wise and will never balance out.
I've been wondering about this and have drawn some personal conclusions which may, or may not, pan out in the fullnss of time

In this case, its range as the balancing factor. Single-seat no-bed ships, in my minds eye, may be unbalanced in terms of abilities but the issue for these pilots may be getting that ship where they need to practice those unbalanced skills.

So these Over Powered craft will either need a carrier to really get places, or be mainly defensive in their deployment (which for a game is what you want giving defenders a better chance), with less OP craft able to reach the point of contention, be it a base or whatever, but not able to nessecerily roll-over whoever has been able to establish a presence there already without massing arms.

Thats how I think this and other ships like it may balance out in the long run. I have a vanguard for the long range ruck, and a Glave for the near-base hard hitting defense.

How will the PU deal with Carrier based ships like the Gladius being in most-common ownership when range limitations of carrier relient small ships with solo range of a system-or-two start to become obvious...?

Will be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Drowez

Captain
Jan 8, 2023
RSI Handle
Drowez
It's a no go for me, CIG just had a huge push for modularity with the Galaxy and here was a perfect opportunity to have a modular kit not a whole new variant.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
If you don't mind him standing on the seat, or worse climb up and down repeatedly while you have a mission to complete. In the PTU they just do the moon walk.
Can't a clever CIG programmer cause those NPC dalliances to play a nose picking animation instead? ...

But back to the topic - So the Scorpius Antares is less expensive than the base Scorpius? Wow, I didn't expect a price downgrade for a new variant.

Here's a link to the Antares Q&A in case anyone needs it: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/19085-Q-A-RSI-Scorpius-Antares

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik

bedoinitusa

Space Marshal
Dec 8, 2017
RSI Handle
GloomyGun

Amun Khonsu

Captain
Donor
Jan 28, 2022
RSI Handle
Amun-Khonsu
Bought one just because it said Lifetime Insurance on it...

Who knows, if I cant find use for it with a co-pilot and a wingman or two, I can always ccu it to something else.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Bought one just because it said Lifetime Insurance on it...

Who knows, if I cant find use for it with a co-pilot and a wingman or two, I can always ccu it to something else.
I haven't gone for one but the crystal of hope is AI computer blades will make this ship single seater in the fullness of time.

That'll come at the cost of something else though, like taking the upgrade slot that may be otherwise used for a blade which improves targeting, shield regen, heck maybe even EMP and Dampener recharge... Imagine if making it a single seater limits recharge to two minutes where having a copilot let's you have a blade which recharges these advantages at only 30 seconds...? Or using a Blade to slave them to the pilot reduced their strength by 2/3rds to avoid EMPing the blade itself which would remove the ability...? That would let solo players use those features while making multi crew a better option than even having two players in two separate the solo-setup Anteres.

It'll be all in the balance but as we're still deep in Dev there is no limit for theory crafting.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?