Seeing a lot of X1 screenshots on twitX

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Hmmm... seems like everyone is too busy with the San'tok.yai that's in the same patch.
Shame, really.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
3.22 is removing shields from all hover bikes that had them so that the only hover bike that'll have a shield is the 'X1 Force'. This is to artificially inflate the value of the 'X1 Force' until armor is implemented, as such I greatly dislike the X1 and hope the release of it goes exceedingly poorly.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
It is in the PTU; imo it's not quiiiite the sleek runner that was pitched, probably a legacy of the metrics not quite being nailed down when the X1's were concepted.

So far the handling impressions are not much different than existing gravlev, but I DO like the cockpit arrangement. It's a lot easier to use the MFD's which may become important for the Force especially as a recon tool.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
3.22 is removing shields from all hover bikes that had them so that the only hover bike that'll have a shield is the 'X1 Force'. This is to artificially inflate the value of the 'X1 Force' until armor is implemented, as such I greatly dislike the X1 and hope the release of it goes exceedingly poorly.
*Hands @Deroth a roll of industrial aluminum foil* You are going to want this for the upcoming game-wide component rebalance...

Edit: Having said that, I will agree that it's a WTF moment. No obvious reason to do this now that makes sense.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
*Hands @Deroth a roll of industrial aluminum foil* You are going to want this for the upcoming game-wide component rebalance...

Edit: Having said that, I will agree that it's a WTF moment. No obvious reason to do this now that makes sense.
Component rebalances are needed, and will likely still happen through Beta and even after release.
However, removing shields from a line of vehicles that have been sold as coming with shields and have had them for a long time with the release of a vehicle that will now be the only vehicle in the entire line to have a shield is not foil hat concern.
The X1 Force was marketed (and continues to have marketing) indicating '...X1 model, featuring additional defensive elements to toughen up...', however the only defensive element that has been toughened is the removal of shields from all other hover bikes.
This after the last hover bike released, the HoverQuad, underperformed in sales due to it being the first and only hover bike at that time to not support shields.
Add to these points the fact that CIG never mentioned in any 3.22 patch notes, or anywhere else, that they're removing shields from all but a single hover bike points to them trying to less than upfront about this.

This is on the same level as if CIG were to just quietly removed quantum drives from all Light Fighters with the release of the Liberator. It is inappropriate and only invites further criticism of their business practices.

EDIT: After receiving criticism in Spectrum over the silent removal of shields from hover bikes CIG has now added it to the latest patch notes.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
So the X1 Force’s selling point was that it has two shields. Does it now have one and all others were removed?
Yep, exactly, X1 Force now has just one and all others have none, despite what has been the long stated intention being HoverQuad would have no shields, most others would have one, and X1 Force would have two.

Just like when the HoverQuad was released, so they removed the cargo capacity from all other hover bikes, despite hover bikes, like the Dragonfly, had long been clearly stated by CIG has being intended to have storage capacity and even had their hulls clearly designating where those storage compartments are located.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yep, exactly, X1 Force now has just one and all others have none, despite what has been the long stated intention being HoverQuad would have no shields, most others would have one, and X1 Force would have two.

Just like when the HoverQuad was released, so they removed the cargo capacity from all other hover bikes, despite hover bikes, like the Dragonfly, had long been clearly stated by CIG has being intended to have storage capacity and even had their hulls clearly designating where those storage compartments are located.
Does this mean you can salvage them with them being piloted as the rule be shields prevent salvage/tractor beams

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Does this mean you can salvage them with them being piloted as the rule be shields prevent salvage/tractor beams
Technically, it's the vehicle being powered up that prevents the salvage beam (magic fracturing spell?) from working. But there is some legit hue and cry about tractor beams which are only blocked by shields.

This feels like a huge troll of the community, even for here in alpha. With that said, the devs are NOT above a good troll and there are plenty of folks who give them reason/motivation to do so. They are gamers, after all!

Could be a red herring too.. anyone noticed any OTHER unannounced changes?

*Passes out popcorn and tinfoil*

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I’m still sparky over them taking the holoviewer out of the Polaris. If I knew how to whine and complain with effect, this is almost enough to make me do so. This appears to me the single most disappointing nerf ever dumped on the fans, bar none.

So are y’all saying CIG pulled the shields from grav bikes in general to make them vulnerable to shoulder equipped tractors? I find that hard to believe.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well it's probab-

_|_|_
0|v|0 --- Hello!
L|_|7

Mascotti?! What are you doing here?

_|_|_
0|.|0 ---- Have I said something wrong?
>|_|>

Well, no, it's just you are the mascot from the Ultimate Smackdown Chaos Arena thread on TESTs Org Spectrum (SpecTESTrum), you're not supposed to be over here on Testsquadron.com, what are you up to?

_|_|_
^|u|^ ---- I'm being a distraction from the X1 bike shield drama, silly!
L|_|¬

Oh... okay, as you were. Incidentally if anyone wants to claim their place in the LEAGUE of CHAMPIONS come on over to SpecTESTrum and take part in a match or two in the ULTIMATE SMACKDOWN CHAOS ARENA!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So back to the X1. It appears at least a dozen or so will fit in the cargo bay of the 400i, plus one in the hallway between the chilled components’ rooms, and another on the lift built for it. More importantly, the pile O’ parts found at time index 19:30 here:

View: https://youtu.be/Ka86D2DKRmg?si=jqq7kmNpeWqWMUQi

Suggests you can disassemble this bike, meaning you could possibly reassemble it with engine parts off the racer and the shield and weapon off the Force. Guess we’ll have to wait and see. Obviously though, this is a pile of parts. Subliminal never really figured it out. It seems reasonable to me the parts appeared only after the bike was damaged and then handled with the tractor, the parts appeared. This is likely a key observation for budding gravbike mechanics. And yeah, bikes would need to be composed of parts like this in order to use things like the Carrack workbench on them. Makes me want to load some X1s into a Carrack and see what we see. Storing spare bike parts looks like a thing. Hence the computer saying it had a broken engine. CIG is setting us up for repair gameloops. Very cool.

Still waiting too, to see if the X1 fits in the back of a Sentinel. Looks like it will.

I’m a fan of the gravbike in general now for some years. I’ve always liked the Force most. Still never seen anyone try to use it to lay down suppressing fire on infantry, where the larger weapon and shield will make a difference. Will love to see these in caves and bunkers. More than casual riders are going to become highly sought battlefield wizards, IMHO. I don’t think the crab monsters slated for cave systems is gonna hold up well against S1 lasers and tachyon weapons might just cook them.

I’m excited to get 10 hours on one of these and build mad skilz.

Btw, all three versions have 750 microSCU storage, accessed through the internal console.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Technically, it's the vehicle being powered up that prevents the salvage beam (magic fracturing spell?) from working. But there is some legit hue and cry about tractor beams which are only blocked by shields.

This feels like a huge troll of the community, even for here in alpha. With that said, the devs are NOT above a good troll and there are plenty of folks who give them reason/motivation to do so. They are gamers, after all!

Could be a red herring too.. anyone noticed any OTHER unannounced changes?

*Passes out popcorn and tinfoil*
Believe skin scrap game logic is also based on shields while the breaking apart is based on the engine being off.

I mean honestly everything is a work in progress and ship stats are in flux. Hell even games that have been released tweak and balance stats all the time. I would say the only thing that doesn't change is the ship graphics but we know that changes as well.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Hopefully all of this will be resolved when or before SQ42 is released "Soot (tm)" .

EDIT: After receiving criticism in Spectrum over the silent removal of shields from hover bikes CIG has now added it to the latest patch notes.
Congrats, you & others managed to get CIG to change something, even if it's just to add this issue to the new patch notes. That's probably more than I'll ever achieve in SC.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Check your Dragonfly. The vid I posted above says it has 1,250 microSCU, which is 500 more than the X1. I think the issue is the X1 uses a button that’s inside the cockpit.

Btw, also in the vid above he is unable to lock his S1 tractor on until the shield is turned off, and once he turns it off the tractor locks, so appears has nothing to do with the engine.

Last edited:
  • o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
For context on carrying capacities, a bottle of Vestal Water is 1000 microSCU:

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That’s pretty awful. An ArcLite pistol is 1100 so it won’t fit on an X1.

Has anyone checked to see if things like a railgun on your back interfere with the canopy slide?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Check your Dragonfly. The vid I posted above says it has 1,250 microSCU, which is 500 more than the X1. I think the issue is the X1 uses a button that’s inside the cockpit.

Btw, also in the vid above he is unable to lock his S1 tractor on until the shield is turned off, and once he turns it off the tractor locks, so appears has nothing to do with the engine.
My Dragonfly is supposed to have an actual cargo capacity of up to 1SCU. A quarter SCU in each saddlebag and a half SCU in place of a passenger. That, the Snub capability, plus the shield, to make it combat capable, are the reasons I own one.

Cargo: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15389-Q-A-Drake-Dragonfly-Part-I

Forgot your password?