wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Although it's a different service and different game, I was playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on GeForce NOW in both co-op and PVP and I didn't have any problems. That said, I have a very stable 120Mbps Internet connection at home, and all of our family gaming PCs are always wired to the router; we have 25 ms latency to the nearest Nvidia cloud server.

By the way, is it possible to test Shadow solution...? -- is there any time-limited trial or something?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Although it's a different service and different game, I was playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on GeForce NOW in both co-op and PVP and I didn't have any problems. That said, I have a very stable 120Mbps Internet connection at home, and all of our family gaming PCs are always wired to the router; we have 25 ms latency to the nearest Nvidia cloud server.

By the way, is it possible to test Shadow solution...? -- is there any time-limited trial or something?
Unfortunately, there is no "limited test." You can just sign up for one month though, there is no long term commitment (they try to hook you into longer commitments after you sign up).

Reactions: wmk

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I don't know, because clearly these businesses already have a lot of customers. And a good number of people who are using it, seem to be doing so for Star Citizen since its a more demanding game. I haven't heard of too many issues due to latency for this game at least (but then again the game and the service are still both new). But, can't really be that choosy if you are having to use the service because your own PC doesn't cut it (or chosen to use them in lieu of upgrading pc). I've seen latency tests that show slight latency that could MAYBE be an issue and others that have showed little to no extra latency. Everyone's mileage will very on that of course.
I wouldnt consider SC fast pace gameplay. Little or none, you are adding another hop on your way and for people who are close to the server on both ends may not see it, but people across the country that are borderline ping will step over that line once another hop is added and could potentially make them double the length. I.E. the server is in california for the service, but the actual server for the game is in East Coast in New york, you have essentially doubled the distance you need to travel for an online game.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I wouldnt consider SC fast pace gameplay. Little or none, you are adding another hop on your way and for people who are close to the server on both ends may not see it, but people across the country that are borderline ping will step over that line once another hop is added and could potentially make them double the length. I.E. the server is in california for the service, but the actual server is East Coast in New york, you have essentially doubled the distance you need to travel for an online game.
That's not exactly wrong (nor is it especially right either) ... but that's not exactly the problem domain this type of solution is trying to solve either.

Reactions: Radegast74

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
care to explain?
Just that ping is a little limited on what it can tell you about throughput. There is a lot more going on than single packet transmission time between your PC and Star Citizen. Also, if you have a gaming PC, and high speed network connection available, then yeah - this technology isn't really designed for you. But if you have a computer that can't run Star Citizen, or if you need to use a tablet or something because you're traveling or whatnot, this technology is a great way to get access to the game.

This is the technology... not the provider. I don't know enough about them to say, but if they operate in New York, I would say there's a large market near them might benefit from something like this.

Reactions: Radegast74

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Just that ping is a little limited on what it can tell you about throughput. There is a lot more going on than single packet transmission time between your PC and Star Citizen. Also, if you have a gaming PC, and high speed network connection available, then yeah - this technology isn't really designed for you. But if you have a computer that can't run Star Citizen, or if you need to use a tablet or something because you're traveling or whatnot, this technology is a great way to get access to the game.

This is the technology... not the provider. I don't know enough about them to say, but if they operate in New York, I would say there's a large market near them might benefit from something like this.
So my post is still all right, since im only explaining the negative impact on latency. I could go into explaining frames, ports etc. that you also need to bypass with additional encryption which could also slow things down further, but im just diving into overall latency due to distance being covered which could exponentially increase.

AZIrishX

Vice Admiral
Jan 5, 2019
RSI Handle
AZIrishX
My rig needs to be upgraded in the worst way. Id be interested in trying this out but it does not appear to be available in AZ just yet.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
@Radegast74 Okay, I have a specific question(s) that need answered (simple layman terms please not technical)
I have Googled and have not found my answer yet.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star Citizen specific question....
I want to run Star Citizen on one desktop PC
AND
I want to install/Run Star Citizen (same RSI Account) on Shadow from another desktop PC (One PC at a time of course)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, the question:
What, if any, are the probems with the Launcher etc running this way?
[I realize that I must close the launcher & log out of the RSI website on one PC to use the other)
Are there any other problems at all?

I really apprciate your answer/help here. Thanks in advance.

Also, what about installing Avast & Zonealarm on the Shadow system (while still using them on the host PC?
[same account email/password etc]
Nobody seems to answering these simple questions and I personally find them quite important.
Cheers and thanks for posting this Info and Videos.

Forgot your password?