Ship naming - "my name is..."

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
giving our ships clever names is cool, but

on reflection, it's one more thing the Persistence Database is going to have to track

is it going to slow down or limit the number of players per instance?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

on reflection, it's one more thing the Persistence Database is going to have to track

As every ship is supposed to display it's unique hull number eventually anyway, I'd hope not?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

I'm just worried about rendering the name or number. It should not affect the framerate. That's a strong "should not".
In the grand scheme of things, a name for a ship is the easy part as it's simply a string associated with the global ship object and thus takes up very little space. On the other hand, placing Pico in your ship is far more data as not only do you need the id object tag of Pico but you also need 5 double values relative to the ship's location (x,y,z plus direction vector) to place it inside the ship along with Pico's owner tag.

Outside of carrier-placed boxes, they are currently cheating with cargo in that they are not recording the place of every box just the total cargo load and type on the ship. But I believe the plan is to make this stored as well and not only the box but even what is in the box so you can open a box and place your own items in it. But this more than likely unlike placing Pico will be more likely an object id and an associated grid location and thus reduce the amount of data needed to be stored.

Doc Flanigan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 27, 2021
RSI Handle
Doc_Flanigan
I really want to name my Carrack "HOMOS NAKED" as a reference to the scene in one of my fav movies, Joe Dirt, where the stranger tells Joe "Home is where you make it.", but through his deep southern Louisianan accent it sounds like "Homos naked". I think it's a neat tie-in to the Carrack is home tag line.

I get a "Validation Failed" error every time I try to submit it. I've entered a ticket with support, but I'm not hopeful that it will be allowed.

Link to the scene:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fJGMLSC7gA

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
I really want to name my Carrack "HOMOS NAKED" as a reference to the scene in one of my fav movies, Joe Dirt, where the stranger tells Joe "Home is where you make it.", but through his deep southern Louisianan accent it sounds like "Homos naked". I think it's a neat tie-in to the Carrack is home tag line.

I get a "Validation Failed" error every time I try to submit it. I've entered a ticket with support, but I'm not hopeful that it will be allowed.

Link to the scene:
Doubt they'll let you have that name which is a shame because it's a great scene from a great movie and its meaning is perfect.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Link to the scene:
Just call it "Home is Where You Make It", and those that know, know.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Adding ship names to every ship would be a single drop in the bucket compared to all the other bandwidth woes of the game.
I think every ship should have the ability. I mean ... it literally makes sense that you could name a ship you own.

We use to call my mom's Caprice Classic with a red Firebird decal on the hood "The Flying Chicken".

Now if they want you to kick in a little money, or ingame currency to have it displayed like the ships that already come with it ... that's cool with me. Maybe they can even sell different cool fonts and style skins for the name skin or something.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
We use to call my mom's Caprice Classic with a red Firebird decal on the hood "The Flying Chicken".
I named my 1996 V6 Pontiac Firebird "The Flaming Chicken" because it was only the V6 instead of the v8. Ironically, it periodically proved that a large part of racing victory is in the personal skill of the driver & not just the power of the vehicle.

Forgot your password?