Should I get a Constellation?

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
My aurora makes me claustrophobic, and I have some money to burn. (Well, not really, I'm just a horrible impulse buyer :expressionless:)
I'm leaning towards the Aquila, or getting a secondhand Phoenix from somewhere. As I am a complete noob, I have no idea whether or not this is a good idea. Are Constellations even any good? Also, which one should I get?
PS: It looks like the phoenix comes with a built in bar... :beer::cocktail::beers:

Edit: I found this thread, which had some info on the various constellations buried on pages 2 - 3.
Edit #2: Mastersan had a great post with pros and cons (mostly pros :slight_smile:) for anyone interested.
Edit #3: Yeah, I ended up getting both the Aquila and the Phoenix.

Last edited:

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
The only problem with switching to a connie is the solo options, you need to have friends (or AI) on board to really make it sing. If it's your only ship and you want something larger then an aurora, maybe consider the freelancer or cutlass, both are fairly manageable solo and you can carry a small vehicle.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
My aurora makes me claustrophobic, and I have some money to burn. (Well, not really, I'm just a horrible impulse buyer :expressionless:)
I'm leaning towards the Aquila, or getting a secondhand Phoenix from somewhere. As I am a complete noob, I have no idea whether or not this is a good idea. Are Constellations even any good? Also, which one should I get?
PS: It looks like the phoenix comes with a built in bar... :beer::cocktail::beers:
YOUR best TEST bet is to ask @Blind Owl

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
It really depends on what you want to do in the verse. Right now it's difficult to fight in a Connie, but the Connie can still fight. It's not a dogfighter, but it hella damages bigger ships and swats down pesky fighters when you finally hit.

It also does vehicles and cargo, which makes it an all round amazing ship.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
maybe consider the freelancer or cutlass
I checked those out, and while I don't want the cutlass, the freelancer seems okay.
The cutlass seems more combat oriented, and I still can't get the hang of that.
Since I'm leaning towards exploration (though that's very tentative), the freelancer's exploration variant sacrifices 2/3 of its cargo space, which is a little bit more than I'd like. I mean, it still holds ~6 times as much as my aurora, and cargo space looks like it's still very much a work in progress, but it's a consideration.

Have you tried asking around in PU to try flying other ships?
I've tried the freelancer and the cutlass out, but haven't found a constellation yet.
The freelancer was alright, but felt a little off. Then, of course, I crashed into the station. (I'm not a very good pilot. :))

It also does vehicles and cargo, which makes it an all round amazing ship.
The jack-of-all trades thing appears to be it's biggest draw, and it's probably one of the bigger selling points for me.

Thanks for all the prompt replies, guys! :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I have a Taurus. I'll fly it solo and probably die a lot. They have not finished building it yet so I can't tell you if it'll be crap flying it solo yet, but i'm going to anyway.

One word of warning - the bigger the ship, the longer it currently takes to respawn if it is destroyed and you can't fly them in AC so if you have one big ship make sure it has a suitable loaner or you may not be able to play some parts of the Alpha.

Almost all big ships come with a single seat loaner too, but you won't get to keep it once Alpha is over.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Have you checked it out in-hangar yet? (Is that what "hangar ready" means?)
Do you like it?
Hangar Ready means there is a model in the hangar to view and interact with but it is not able to be flown in the PU and AC but you get a flying loan ship.

The model in the hangar is very very old and is being reworked. It is so old they changed the way the lighting worked a while back and now it's very... shiny... inside. But it gives you an idea what it is going to be like.

I prefer the huge cargo bay to the Andromeda

You get the Andromeda to fly in as the loaner. You also get a standard hornet as a loaner too to play AC and the PU where the Connie can't be used (AC) but once Alpha is over that loaner will vanish so don't get used to having a Hornet you don't actually own :slight_smile:

Last edited:

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Ok, I found someone with an Andromeda, and asked if I could fly it. Took a look around the inside first, looked pretty cool. The fighter bay looked awesome. I liked the elevator entrance, too. I get in the pilot's seat, they hop in the co-pilots. I take off, get up to speed, and engage quantum drive towards a random mission objective. The ship promptly quantum drives off into infinity, and explodes. I am not sure whether or not this is my fault, but I do know that guy is never gonna let me fly his ship again. :sweat_smile:

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
running Gimbals on the four main guns alleviates some of the maneuver issues for combat purposes on the Connie. I'd suggest the Andromeda just to get the feel of it before an Aquila, just to better manage real world money. Until the Sensor-game comes into play the Explorer ships don't play to their strengths.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I'd suggest the Andromeda just to get the feel of it before an Aquila, just to better manage real world money. Until the Sensor-game comes into play the Explorer ships don't play to their strengths.
True, but then again, according to NaffNaffBobFace:
You get the Andromeda to fly in as the loaner.
As far as explorer ships go, it's easier to fly an explorer/trading vessel solo then it is to fly a combat/trading ship. Probably. We'll see :).

Forgot your password?