Should the bar to entry for professions be hi?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If the bar is going to be high for entry into professions, I'm gonna end up restocking Big Benny's machines...
But the bar will be pretty high on that job too, because we'll all be applying for it.

I'll have to go into the lesser known "Big Bennys Machine Repositioning" field, its going to look almost exactly like this:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
If being skilled at something was hard in game then they would just sell it. I have a crucible should I not be able to fix things with it? I could use it as a cargo ship I suppose but would I need trader skills and piloting skills and so on. Maybe they will surprise me but ship sales has neutralised a lot of the class skill options I think.

Reactions: Ammorn and StdDev

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I always wondered why they didn't make the ship call/ship store mechanism more like a 3D printer? You land in an Avenger, the pad melts it down into raw material. You then buy a blueprint for a Hornet and the pad reconstructs the AvengerGoo into a Hornet for you.

Yeah your custom paint and fuzzy dice would not survive but it just seems like a more futureistic way of having a fleet of ships with you wherever you go in the 'Verse. You don't buy ships, you buy Blueprints that landing pads construct the ship for you instead of just materialising it out of nowhere.
Yeah isn't this still the plan for crash repairs? You don't buy parts, your autobot just prints out or lasers out a replacement from the materials and does it all for you?

Reactions: Ammorn and StdDev

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
My opinion is that it should be easy to enter any profession, just so you can see if it suits you and if you enjoy it.
That said, the quality of the services provided by an entry-level professional should be shit. So if you want to check out a new profession, go ahead and do it, but the more time you spend learning the trade and the more UEC you invest in equipment, the better your services will be.

Greengiant506

Admiral
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Greengiant506
Actually scratch this idea, it's retarded. How are you going to have "Luxury" ships if a pad can print up whatever materials it's made of... You could print yourself up a luxury Herald if that were the case: Maybe an idea for a different game.
Well now I want it more! The idea of a luxury Reclaimer is so ridiculous its just perfect!

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
If being skilled at something was hard in game then they would just sell it. I have a crucible should I not be able to fix things with it? I could use it as a cargo ship I suppose but would I need trader skills and piloting skills and so on. Maybe they will surprise me but ship sales has neutralised a lot of the class skill options I think.
If I remember correctly, there will be a skill element in making your composite repair material as well as knowing where to begine your repair on a damaged ship. Without skill, you can only do a bigger half-assed job with the Crucible.

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
I think competency is a requirement, but nothing too extraordinary. Assumably the technology will be out there that we can learn things quickly (if at all.. I mean, we're already close in the real world to uploading knowledge to a brain).

Reactions: Ammorn

Greengiant506

Admiral
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Greengiant506
I do look forward to having a learning curve, it will definitely make things like operating the reclaimer a tonne more satisfying, such as learning the systems and locations of their components/subsystems to maintain and acquiring the skills to actually repair/use them.

Forgot your password?