[Showerthought] There are already bittervets in Star Citizen and the game isn't even out yet :/

Dragor

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2013
RSI Handle
Wargas
Everybody, well many players of EvE Online know the bittervets, the players that have been playing for years and are kinda cynical and just negative about the game.

The same is true for Star Citizen. There are so many threads that are not only criticizing SC but down right negative about the game. It feels like the game is already out for years and there is no progression, but actualy we have to wait at least one or even two more years for the Alpha release of PU.

I just hope that SC doesn't lose its momentum and the community as a whole can make it to the finish line.

Reactions: Diehydra

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Everybody, well many players of EvE Online know the bittervets, the players that have been playing for years and are kinda cynical and just negative about the game.

The same is true for Star Citizen. There are so many threads that are not only criticizing SC but down right negative about the game. It feels like the game is already out for years and there is no progression, but actualy we have to wait at least one or even two more years for the Alpha release of PU.

I just hope that SC doesn't lose its momentum and the community as a whole can make it to the finish line.
How can you not be a bittervet when the games takes 1-2 years to load up?

Reactions: Azmodeth

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
My co-worker was complaing about Star Citizen, and he even isn't a backer! He won't back it because he doesn't want to pay $15k for the total package. He was complaining how the delay was planned, because the more time before release, the more time they have to sell ships and make money. While the idea kinda makes sense, I don't think thats what is happening.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Star Citizen is a victim of its own success.

The more people that pledge, the more they want to bring to the table, the longer it will take to release.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
By the time it comes out, it will be obsolete too, the next cry Engine is coming out....

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
By the time it comes out, it will be obsolete too, the next cry Engine is coming out....
There was a convo last night on mumble about this. CryEngine isn't the best for this game, and it has been heavily modified to the point where it probably barely recognizable as CryEngine.

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
As a relatively new player, and a pretty patient person, the bittervets are getting annoying to me.

Reactions: Damn Dirty Rat

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I think they will need to redesign it or get a new engine or create one themselves!
Too deep in development for that. Normally changing a game engine is best done in the first year, but right now they've gotten too far with Star Citizen to really seriously consider an engine switch (in fact, switching game engines would delay things by another 3 years).

Feral Oxide

Grand Admiral
Mar 13, 2015
RSI Handle
FeralOxide
I wanna play THIS GAME. so i'm good. I hate the alpha bluz. but i will wait sorta kinda patiently, but without too much bitter root.

RedjackQuisterJr

Rear Admiral
Sep 28, 2014
RSI Handle
redjack_quister_jr
Too deep in development for that. Normally changing a game engine is best done in the first year, but right now they've gotten too far with Star Citizen to really seriously consider an engine switch (in fact, switching game engines would delay things by another 3 years).
yup Game Engine is like

1st year development = Girlfriend
2 or more years development = it is now your wife...for better or for worst!

Reactions: Feral Oxide

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Eh, I love Star Citizen and I'm eager to see every bit of development. I geek out on new reveals, I still have to fight with myself on every new ship (I had the wallet out on Monday night trying to figure out if I really wanted a Genesis that badly), and I will theorycraft at the drop of a hat. But it doesn't dominate my life.

Honestly, the best thing out of Star Citizen so far is stumbling in with this band of drunkards, fools, and all-around madmen/madwomen. This forum and the Mumble have become my main online haunt. I'll continue to eagerly await the next development out of SC... but in the meantime, I'll join in the madness when Seung orchestrates a K-pop take over of the forums, or a RSI forum poster inadvertently provides us a new mascot, or whatever else comes up next.

Um. I think I reached "I love you, man" stage of inebriation. Probably time for me to toddle off the bed.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
just wait until we have balance issues that aren't dealt with fast enough to suit some people

watch the butthurt meter climb past eleven

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
I've been a lot more at peace since I 'stopped caring' about star citizen.

Not following every update. Not browsing /r/starcitizen every hour. Not obsessing over ships. Not min/maxing. None of that. I've been much less stressed and have been able to enjoy my nights a lot more :)

I joined TEST for the community over a year and a half ago, and I stay because it's the best community in existence.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Like @Egriz, I don't follow every update. I'll check out everything that's posted, but either skim-read it or glance at it. Honestly, I'm having enough fun just being a part of the community and TEST with you guys that I'm not that fussed about how long we wait. I stay away from the drama of the community and just chill on these forums.

Reactions: Dalarast

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
I love me some SC, and I will continue to do so. In fact the only thing that will stop me from enjoying the shit out of SC is if when it does come out, it is garbage. That would suck, but I am not worried that will be the end result.

I work in the games industry, at a pretty awesome developer, and I can guarantee there is NO WAY they are changing engines at this point. But they have butchered CryEngine enough that they can keep modifying it to suit their needs no problem. The engine I work with is rather dated and clunky in parts, but we keep updating/upgrading/adding-to and it stays relevant. So don't go getting too worried about the engine, that dept is fine.

Lastly, my favorite thing about SC right now isn't the ships, or the potential, its getting to chill with a cool ass group like this one, and nerd out about stuff. For that alone I would pledge double what I have to SC.

Forgot your password?