So about that SC hotas

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
My x-52 is still working fine for me so I am on board with this. Obviously I love anything that raises pitchforks on the RSI forums and watching the illogical debates on something that is "life-ending" for some members.

I do hope its a NEW controller and not a skin on an existing one though.
Yeah exactly. People are going to use what they're going to use. In this community it can be some weird shit. As someone who likes to hobble stuff together and customize I'll probably build a custom setup if I don't like what I see. Also as a person that likes things to match I'd also really like a complete setup from the company making the game. It could be really tempting to have a controller "optimized" for the game.

In the end they aren't the type of company that is going to force you to use just one input device and are just trying to create another product to make the game more immersive and enjoyable to play. This was never something the HOTAS elite were going to buy, but for Joe Schmo to upgrade to from a garage sale stick or 3D Pro. Or for mega fans that need all ships and merchandise. My thoughts may be invalidated this weekend and I really am hoping for the best. You can bet my second monitor will be glued to that stream on Friday.

EDIT:
I think a lot of people were expecting a low budget stick and then a high budget one and hoped for Thrustmaster. Which would allow great modularity. Similar to how Baron is a T16000M with his Warthog now. Saitek may surprise us and show similar with heavier duty stuff from what we've seen.

Last edited:

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I'm curious what the price point is gonna be. SC has an ABUNDANCE of "whales" that would happily shell out 500 dollars for a Chris Roberts buttplug, but I can't see many people that already have a HOTAS/HOJAM/Dual Stick profile setup buying a brand new one if its just a basic remodel of an X-55 with a SC sticker slapped on it.

I hope CIG also makes it so you can get either the stick or throttle seperately, I might want the stick if the quality seems high enough, but I like my current "throttle" aka Orbweaver.

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
Gonna pass on this. This news pretty much made up my mind. I'm still using my gameport CH hotas after a decade and a half. I'l be buying the usb versions of the Combatstick and Pro Throttle for the PU

Reactions: Elsa

Elsa

Captain
Aug 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Elsa
Gonna pass on this. This news pretty much made up my mind. I'm still using my gameport CH hotas after a decade and a half. I'l be buying the usb versions of the Combatstick and Pro Throttle for the PU
Smart choice :)

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
So we are going to pay for a glorified x-55. I tried the x55, and I was not impressed. It has a large zero area where you can move it and it does not pick up. I was actually able to slowly slowly move it about 1/5 the total travel until it picked up. So if you wanted to make slow micro-adjustements you simply can't. After a fefew months the controller began to fall apart. When I squeezed the stick it made this awful plastic on plastic rubbing nose. The gearing felt like it had no lubricant and began to either be stiff or loose. I went back to borrowing my friends warthog with the moded base thing. I think I might pick up my own warthog. Was sooo looking forward to SC stick, but now it is worthless to me as a Saitek. I guess a large number of Concierge and Subscribers are bullying CS also and asking for them to reverse their decision, and it is usually these guys who buy it all and buy most of their products. It was about what 60%+ that bought the constellation model was the Concierge and Subscribers.

Beauseant

Commander
Jun 30, 2015
RSI Handle
Beauseant
So far I've had a really good time with my X55. I've used it for more hours than I care to admit on ED and SC. I have no real complaints about the joystick. Now if they make a impressive throttle there's a very good chance I'll buy one if its sold on it's own but tomorrow will tell.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Now that we've seen what they're planning for with Saitek, any new thoughts? I'm pretty happy about the entry level stick: I love the modularity, and the idea of mounting it to the keyboard to make one superdevice is pretty coo. I really love the idea of putting trackballs on the sticks to, it seems like it would be much easier to use than the little mouse nubbin on the X-52 or the WartHog.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
I get the feeling a trackball won't be as easy to use as people night hope, guess we'll see in time. At first sight I was relaly put off, an X52 with a flimsy throttle, then they show it stuck to the keyboard and it makes more sense.

X65 based premium version though, looks nice, but damn it looks like it's a gas, as in it takes up all the space available to it! Also wasn't the X65 force reading? I heard that didn't go down well with players, the spring on the SC one looks a lot more mighty though so maybe they ddin't go for that?

The x52 pro that I have is a solid stick though, so perhaps the SC one will be good (again major worry with saitek is thier QC, thier sticks work wonderfully for a long time, when they don't break on day 4). Not convinced enough to upgrade yet, will wait and see I guess, hopefully this won't be a limited run thing, let someone else test the waters for me.

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
All these OLED screens gives me hope for Logitech G19/Gamepanel support. Hopefully that joystick will work if it isn't connected to that keyboard

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
So we are going to pay for a glorified x-55. I tried the x55, and I was not impressed. It has a large zero area where you can move it and it does not pick up. I was actually able to slowly slowly move it about 1/5 the total travel until it picked up. So if you wanted to make slow micro-adjustements you simply can't. After a fefew months the controller began to fall apart. When I squeezed the stick it made this awful plastic on plastic rubbing nose. The gearing felt like it had no lubricant and began to either be stiff or loose. I went back to borrowing my friends warthog with the moded base thing. I think I might pick up my own warthog. Was sooo looking forward to SC stick, but now it is worthless to me as a Saitek. I guess a large number of Concierge and Subscribers are bullying CS also and asking for them to reverse their decision, and it is usually these guys who buy it all and buy most of their products. It was about what 60%+ that bought the constellation model was the Concierge and Subscribers.
Question: did you open up the sticks management software and try tweaking the dead zone? I actually had issues with my x55 on stock settings, it was picking up movement in the small slip zone near the center. I introduced a tiny dead zone and it fixed it right up. Sticks about your other issues, but I can't speak to those as my stick has performed admirably since I got it.

Slysi

Admiral
Aug 11, 2015
RSI Handle
Slysi
Is that an OLED touch screen ? I think you'll find its just a piece of plastic over a static picture........ madcatz bought out saitek expect cheap and nasty :(

Slysi

Admiral
Aug 11, 2015
RSI Handle
Slysi
oh on the keyboard.... i was looking at the x65 Doh !

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I have an x52 pro + pedals and love the darn things. Never had an issue with it, and it glides smoothly under light pressure unlike Glorious Leader's x55 did in his video.
As for the SC ones, that keyboard looks nifty, I'd get one if it were mechanical just to have it.
As for the joystick, trackball? No thanks, give me more buttons/hat switches or a navigator like what is found on lenovo laptops (I forget the name of it).

Secret edit: I also have a FLY5 "pseudo-HOTAS" that is also fairly nice to use when I don't need/want to rig up the X-52. It's a lot more comfortable than I thought it was going to be. I will admit I bought it for $15 on sale as a "This looks cool I want it" and have been pleasantly surprised by it's capabilities (It's my primary joystick for evochron mercenary since my desk does not fit the x-52 very well).

Last edited:

ThunderGod

Admiral
Donor
May 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Thunder79
low end is just rebranded Madcatz crap...along with the other peripherals.

the x65 based one....I'm cautiously optimistic for, since they have since said they will be working with CIG and the community to develop the stick. Already seen plenty of people on the forums debating the merits of various features. I would honestly like to see the trackballs...as long as they are relatively easy to clean, then there will be no issues with them. I used a thumb operated trackball for years for fps games, and this seems only natural to add to a joystick for gimbal control.

Bishop

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Macr0
I really love the idea of putting trackballs on the sticks
Indeed. That sounds potentially like a good thing.

On the other side.
The potential Touch screen makes me worry though.
It is totally out of place. To much potential to touch it by mistake in this position.

Forgot your password?