So I just got back from Europe and I have some questions...

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
TESTies

I just finished up my honeymoon in Europe and I have some serious questions and a few statements. Please feel free to chime in if you have an answer to any or all of these questions. If you are from one of the countries I visited (Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Belgium, Netherlands), your opinion is especially valuable.

1: All: What do you have against iced tea?
2: All: Why is your coffee so small?
3: England: Why do you eat beans with your breakfast?
4: Ireland: What exactly is a 'pudding' and why does it taste so good?
5: Canada (I flew Air Canada to Europe): Why can't any of your flights take off on time (0 for 2)?
6: Scotland: What's the deal with haggis? Even your own people won't eat it, so why should I feel obligated to?
7: Netherlands: Ok so you have weed and hookers, but let's be honest your big pancakes are really just crepes. I know you know how to make pancakes, because the mini pancakes are in every restaurant ever. Why can't you make bigger pancakes?
8: Netherlands: Bicycle helmets?
9: France (Paris specifically): I know you have trash cans and toilets. Does anyone use them or is the ground and/or subway considered a suitable substitute?
10: Belgium: Paper train tickets? Seriously?
11: All: Kudos for motor vehicle drivers in all 6 countries making pedestrians scatter like cockroaches when the light comes on. Roads are for cars. Thank you for
12: France: I drank some crazy cider maker's apple moonshine at 74% alcohol. My throat still burns. Thanks!
13: All: I noticed a distinct increase in body mass index as I traveled through the 'french fry belt' (term I coined for all of the countries who claim to have invented french fries). Is this something you have noticed as well? Or could it be the waffles and chocolate also prevalent in these areas?
14: Ireland: I've never been much of a beer drinker until I rediscovered Guiness. Thank you!
15: England: If your money, Scotland's money, and Northern Ireland's money are all the same, why did the wierdo at the laundromat in London refuse to accept Scottish or Irish currency?
16: All: In a restaurant, why do you pay more for soft drinks and even water some places, than beer or wine? I would be a complete alcoholic if I lived there, simply because I refuse to pay 4 Euros for a glass of water and don't mind paying 3,50 Euros for a glass of beer.
17: England: Why do people keep getting upset when buses hit bicyclists in London? Isn't this just natural selection?
18: Belgium: I ate some of that Mary's chocolate and it's pretty much fat kid crack. Is there crack in it?
19: Your national symbol is a naked kid taking a piss. Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of wierd?

I'm sure there's more stuff that will come to my feeble American mind, but this is the stuff that I was thinking about now. I'll update the thread if I have more questions.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Pronouns...

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
The night world is dark and full of terrors....

I bet those animals didn't even have proper ketchup available....
I had completely forgotten about all of that MAYONNAISE... It's probably worth another post altogether.

Welcome home.

Same reason we eat tomatoes with breakfast.

Because it scratches the bus.
I understand the tomatoes. They are technically a fruit and can be dismissed as an unneccessarily large garnish if nothing else. The bus answer makes perfect sense also, since bus paint costs money.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
This must be the answer to the haggis question.
So haggis is sheep guts boiled in a sheep's stomach with 'neeps' (turnips) and 'tatties' (potatoes) and whatever else someone decides to stuff in there with it all. The ketchup comment is in reference to the fact that ketchup is a second class condiment over there. Mayo is the go-to, apparently.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
So haggis is sheep guts boiled in a sheep's stomach with 'neeps' (turnips) and 'tatties' (potatoes) and whatever else someone decides to stuff in there with it all. The ketchup comment is in reference to the fact that ketchup is a second class condiment over there. Mayo is the go-to, apparently.
lol I know I was referring to the haggis as the world being full of terror. As for mayo... at least they don't put corn and mayo on your pizzas like they do here in japan. Then you have intestines they serve marinated for yaki-niku along with cows tongue I try to avoid those if possible.(cows tung isn't that bad but intestines.... most Japanese wont even eat it mostly older generations)

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
lol I know I was referring to the haggis as the world being full of terror. As for mayo... at least they don't put corn and mayo on your pizzas like they do here in japan. Then you have intestines they serve marinated for yaki-niku along with cows tongue I try to avoid those if possible.(cows tung isn't that bad but intestines.... most Japanese wont even eat it mostly older generations)
Mayo and corn on pizza... Brutal.

makute

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
VishMainha
TESTies

I just finished up my honeymoon in Europe and I have some serious questions and a few statements. Please feel free to chime in if you have an answer to any or all of these questions. If you are from one of the countries I visited (Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Belgium, Netherlands), your opinion is especially valuable.
I'm personally offended that you didn't visit Spain, but for the sake of healthy international relations I'll wave that away and will try to answer some of your questions:

1: All: What do you have against iced tea? Nothing. But we serve beer in our McDonalds, so maybe it's your fault for asking for an old lady beverage.
2: All: Why is your coffee so small? Because it's actual coffee and not brown water.
6: Scotland: What's the deal with haggis? Even your own people won't eat it, so why should I feel obligated to? Never ate haggins, but we have Callos, and they are frigging delicious.
9: France (Paris specifically): I know you have trash cans and toilets. Does anyone use them or is the ground and/or subway considered a suitable substitute? Just a word of advise: Do not bring new shoes to Spain.
12: France: I drank some crazy cider maker's apple moonshine at 74% alcohol. My throat still burns. Thanks! Are you sure it wasn't floor cleaner?
16: All: In a restaurant, why do you pay more for soft drinks and even water some places, than beer or wine? I would be a complete alcoholic if I lived there, simply because I refuse to pay 4 Euros for a glass of water and don't mind paying 3,50 Euros for a glass of beer.
be sure to check teneriffe next time. coffe costs here 0.80€ and beer 1,20, cigarettes 2,50.
@MikeNificent, seriously, pay a visit to the spanish islands: Balears, Canary Islands, they are gorgeous.

PS: Never, ever ask for Gofio in the Canary Islands. If you're offered some, politely decline it and claim you're celiac or something.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
1. Nothing its just usally full of sugar (here)
2. It is the terrible concentrated power of coffee
3. Im not from UK but i like british breakfast -> so because it tastes good
4. Its full of protestant / catholic blood (not from Ireland please don't kill me)
5.-15. ...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
16. In germany you must have at least one (usally water) drink wich is cheaper than an alcoholic drink
17.-19 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
be sure to check teneriffe next time. coffe costs here 0.80€ and beer 1,20, cigarettes 2,50.
Check. Will Remember Teneriffe next time

I'm personally offended that you didn't visit Spain, but for the sake of healthy international relations I'll wave that away and will try to answer some of your questions:

1: All: What do you have against iced tea? Nothing. But we serve beer in our McDonalds, so maybe it's your fault for asking for an old lady beverage.
2: All: Why is your coffee so small? Because it's actual coffee and not brown water.
6: Scotland: What's the deal with haggis? Even your own people won't eat it, so why should I feel obligated to? Never ate haggins, but we have Callos, and they are frigging delicious.
9: France (Paris specifically): I know you have trash cans and toilets. Does anyone use them or is the ground and/or subway considered a suitable substitute? Just a word of advise: Do not bring new shoes to Spain.
12: France: I drank some crazy cider maker's apple moonshine at 74% alcohol. My throat still burns. Thanks! Are you sure it wasn't floor cleaner?

@MikeNificent, seriously, pay a visit to the spanish islands: Balears, Canary Islands, they are gorgeous.

PS: Never, ever ask for Gofio in the Canary Islands. If you're offered some, politely decline it and claim you're celiac or something.
Good answers all.

I do want to go to spain, but it wasn't in the budget this time around. It will be in the next Europe trip with Rome and Portugal.

I only went to McDonalds once in Amsterdam after I stormed out of a restaurant after finding out after 30 minutes that the mouth breather that took my order had taken a vow of silence and could not use a computer after all. I did not see beer, but I'll keep it in mind when I'm in Spain.

The coffee was typically very strong. Those little cookies that come with aren't too terrible either.

Callos, check. What's in them? Do I want to know?

No new shoes. Got it. The main reason I was disappointed in the cleanliness of Paris, was because I had just come from London, which I found surprisingly clean in comparison. Might have been the areas I was in.

The apple moonshine was FROM apples, but I'm sure it has many uses.

I can't wait to visit Spain and I will keep old shoes, callos, NO GOFIO, and not missing the islands in mind. Thanks!

Stay in murica if your too shocked....
I think you missed the spirit of the post :)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Welcome back. That sounds like an amazing honeymoon. Kudos. I'm jealous.

5) Because it's Air Canada. They've never managed to get me anywhere on time, and sometimes they've gotten me nowhere at all. Count your lucky stars you got across the pond, haha.

I think I successfully managed to not shitpost or revert to verbal diarrhea on your thread. :wink: Yay me.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
1. Nothing its just usally full of sugar (here)
2. It is the terrible concentrated power of coffee
3. Im not from UK but i like british breakfast -> so because it tastes good
4. Its full of protestant / catholic blood (not from Ireland please don't kill me)
5.-15. ...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
16. In germany you must have at least one (usally water) drink wich is cheaper than an alcoholic drink
17.-19 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've been to Germany and I love your Schnitzel. To be fair I love any meat that is breaded and topped with gravy and a layer of fries.

Good to know on the iced tea. I actually looked for British breakfast later on in the trip since I knew what it was. I just ordered it without the beans. I visited Belfast & took a tour guided by one of the catholics. Very interesting. They still have walls to separate neighborhoods and the gates in said walls are still closed from time to time. As far as the water, I had better luck in Britain and Ireland than the other 3. You could get tap water for free there. In France, Belgium, and NL it wasn't very common in my experience. Not sure if there's a water issue or what?

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
Welcome back. That sounds like an amazing honeymoon. Kudos. I'm jealous.

5) Because it's Air Canada. They've never managed to get me anywhere on time, and sometimes they've gotten me nowhere at all. Count your lucky stars you got across the pond, haha.

I think I successfully managed to not shitpost or revert to verbal diarrhea on your thread. :wink: Yay me.
Haha. It was brutal. 2 flights. One from Seattle to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Dublin. The only saving grace was that the 2nd flight was also delayed, so the HUGE delay on the first flight had less of an impact on my connection. That said, the flight crew were VERY polite and overall the experience was good. I will fly Air Canada again IF a: I have a direct flight, and b: I'm not in any particular rush to get where I'm going.

You have provided valuable and thoughtful feedback with 0 cheeky memes. I applaud your restraint :P

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I've been to Germany and I love your Schnitzel. To be fair I love any meat that is breaded and topped with gravy and a layer of fries.

Good to know on the iced tea. I actually looked for British breakfast later on in the trip since I knew what it was. I just ordered it without the beans. I visited Belfast & took a tour guided by one of the catholics. Very interesting. They still have walls to separate neighborhoods and the gates in said walls are still closed from time to time. As far as the water, I had better luck in Britain and Ireland than the other 3. You could get tap water for free there. In France, Belgium, and NL it wasn't very common in my experience. Not sure if there's a water issue or what?
Not sure about the water quality in other countrys but in germany you can drink every water from a faucet unless it is declared as "not drinkable" (Kein Trinkwasser)

Made a bed and breakfast tour for 2 weeks through UK and i loved the breakfast. It gave you enough energy for 8 hours and more. (Also my host usally liked that i liked their food and always gave me a second or third plate to eat).

Be careful with "Schnitzel" depending on the part of germany you might get something different.

original "Wiener Schnitzel" is with calf
Just "Schnitzel" is usally made of pork (tastes good too and is cheaper)
"Jägerschnitzel" is either with fungi (western germany) or a thick slice of sausage with breading (traditional GDR food, eastern germany)

Just leaving this here:
a german saying is "3 Bier sind ein Schnitzel" (three beers are one Schnitzel). I love german wisdom :).

For comparison both are Jägerschnitzel (in different parts of germany):

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
Not sure about the water quality in other countrys but in germany you can drink every water from a faucet unless it is declared as "not drinkable" (Kein Trinkwasser)

Made a bed and breakfast tour for 2 weeks through UK and i loved the breakfast. It gave you enough energy for 8 hours and more. (Also my host usally liked that i liked their food and always gave me a second or third plate to eat).

Be careful with "Schnitzel" depending on the part of germany you might get something different.

original "Wiener Schnitzel" is with calf
Just "Schnitzel" is usally made of pork (tastes good too and is cheaper)
"Jägerschnitzel" is either with fungi (western germany) or a thick slice of sausage with breading (traditional GDR food, eastern germany)

Just leaving this here:
a german saying is "3 Bier sind ein Schnitzel" (three beers are one Schnitzel). I love german wisdom :slight_smile:.

For comparison both are Jägerschnitzel (in different parts of germany):
This picture looks more like what I experienced, and I injoyed it immensely.

Forgot your password?