So this is what Crusader looks like

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I found what I was looking for. No matter what CIG calls it, Crusader would have to be a sub Neptune planet ( ~ 3 to 17 earth masses), or Hurston is fucked. And a sub Neptune could have a Hydrogen/Oxygen atmosphere at high altitudes. Want some fun? Light a match.

Edit: Sorry I got lost for a while looking up the info. Turns out they don't need the hydrogen/oxygen atmosphere. It can have water and oxygen without free hydrogen. The planets can be a rocky planet with thick atmosphere because it has more gravity than Earth, or a mini-Neptune (Sub Neptune). This is real stuff. This seems to be one of the most common types of planets astronomers have found. One of the two papers I have seen while I was still working with my previous employer is linked here:

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
For what? I did not design this planet, I just cut n pasted it in here!
It has been many years following the project, and over time my ability to watch/pay attention to all info coming out of CIG has been eroded as more IRL responsibilities have come along.

I had to get the windows and doors replaced which ate up a couple weeks. I had to spend 3 whole days shopping online for a new sofa (£89 shipping you gotta be kidding me here's a place that'll do it for £6.95). I have to stop my kid from drawing on the walls which is a continuing battle where one must be ever vigilant for the call to action: *Scribbly sounds* "WALLS!"

TEST is my primary source on most Game happenings these days, if glorious TESTies were not reporting on the forums I'd have minimal updates, so what is a quick copy-paste for you is for me cold drafty windows and doors, back ache from a crummy crapped out old sofa, and scrubbing felt-tip and crayon off the walls for me... so Thank you, Glorious Leader! :like:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I am excited to jump over the rails and see how long it takes to die <3
I'm guessing it'll take as long as it'd take for you to starve or die of thirst, there is no ground to hit and at some point the buoyancy of the atmosphere will just have you hanging there not moving waiting to expire :)

That is, unless the atmospheric pressure gets high enough to crush you before you hit that buoyancy point. I'm guessing jumping over will result in EVA but without the ability to go up and down, only sideways... but it's only a guess who knows what they have planned for Lemmings.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'm guessing it'll take as long as it'd take for you to starve or die of thirst, there is no ground to hit and at some point the buoyancy of the atmosphere will just have you hanging there not moving waiting to expire :)

That is, unless the atmospheric pressure gets high enough to crush you before you hit that buoyancy point. I'm guessing jumping over will result in EVA but without the ability to go up and down, only sideways... but it's only a guess who knows what they have planned for Lemmings.

Ah xkcd has so many good answers.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Oooh, that's delightful :)

I wonder how lighter-than-air craft would work on a gas giant?
Just like they do here. They would find a equilibrium and float. Think balloons and dirigible the only issue would be the severe winds would shred them. Just don't try to float on mars as it would take a huge balloon as the air is so thin that even the strongest wind would be to weak to push you over.

Jupiter experiences violent storms, which often take the form of zonal jets. In these weather fronts, wind speeds of 100 m/s (360 km/h, 223mph) are common. But wind storms on the mighty planet can reach as high as 620 kph (385 mph).

Cat 5 hurricane wind speeds 252 km/h (157 mph)

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Just like they do here. They would find a equilibrium and float. Think balloons and dirigible the only issue would be the severe winds would shred them. Just don't try to float on mars as it would take a huge balloon as the air is so thin that even the strongest wind would be to weak to push you over.

Jupiter experiences violent storms, which often take the form of zonal jets. In these weather fronts, wind speeds of 100 m/s (360 km/h, 223mph) are common. But wind storms on the mighty planet can reach as high as 620 kph (385 mph).

Cat 5 hurricane wind speeds 252 km/h (157 mph)
There is a pair of problems on Jupiter that makes this very difficult. The Jovian atmosphere is made of primarily Hydrogen and Helium - other elements are found in trace quantities only. Also, the force of gravity is 2.5 times the force of gravity on Earth. It would be incredibly difficult to make a craft lighter than that, and if you could it would be very uncomfortable to be a human inside such a craft. It would be far more survivable to orbit Jupiter instead of entering the atmosphere.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
There is a pair of problems on Jupiter that makes this very difficult. The Jovian atmosphere is made of primarily Hydrogen and Helium - other elements are found in trace quantities only. Also, the force of gravity is 2.5 times the force of gravity on Earth. It would be incredibly difficult to make a craft lighter than that, and if you could it would be very uncomfortable to be a human inside such a craft. It would be far more survivable to orbit Jupiter instead of entering the atmosphere.
A dirigible perhaps but a hot air balloon filled with Jupiter air then heated would cause it to float rather nicely and then you would pick at what altitude you would want to be at (id think temperature over pressure would be the deciding variable)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
A dirigible perhaps but a hot air balloon filled with Jupiter air then heated would cause it to float rather nicely and then you would pick at what altitude you would want to be at (id think temperature over pressure would be the deciding variable)
Dirigible, Just add some NOX, ya know like in the FastnFurious movies, it will make more speeeed and power.. Like, Aaaalll the power, at once!

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Dirigible, Just add some NOX, ya know like in the FastnFurious movies, it will make more speeeed and power.. Like, Aaaalll the power, at once!
I foresee many of us adding NOX to some sort of lighter than air craft in a gas giant followed by "Hold my beer" moments followed by glorious, spectacular and hilarious deaths.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Wanna hear a joke? No matter, I'll tell it anyways:

The largest organizations have a yearly conferences on various planets, and this naturally means that TEST also sends a representative.
In 2953 the conference is on Hurston, the TEST representative arrives in a red Aurora and leaves in a black one.
In 2954 the conference is on Microtech, the TEST representative arrives in a white Aurora and leaves in a yellow one.
In 2955 the conference is on Crusader, but the TEST representative is late. Other representatives wait around a bit, until finally they decide to contact the TEST representative so the conference could get started. The TEST representative is apologetic: "I'm sorry, I would've arrived on time but I just can't figure out how to crash on this planet!"

Forgot your password?