So...what y'all do for a living?

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
This is what I do for a living.

These springs are for an overhead door that we're fixing Friday. A rather heavy one. These springs are .421x55"x7-5/8" and weigh 150lbs each. They have an IPPT (inch pounds per turn) value of 90.82. At max turns of 17, these springs each produce 128.5 ft/lbs of torque for a total of 257 ft/lbs. A 2015 Toyota Corolla's 1.8L 4 cylinder engine produces between 126-128 ft/lbs of torque. This door needs the power of two cars to lift it and I get to wind them by hand! I have such a fun job.

This is a 24'2" x 18' door. Its quite large. We did two of these along with a few other doors for one job. These two doors we got completely done in one day.

Reactions: deathstrike

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
Those are some mighty big springs.

Reactions: JoeCool4433
S

svenrichter

I currently work in IT. But want to study medical engineering. The only problem is, I have to redo one of my degrees which takes two years. Depression is a bitch.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
I was an aircraft A&P engineer for a few years (technically I still am) and then when I went on an extended working holiday in North America and came home to find my old job was gone, so now I drive big trucks and cranes for a company that specializes in oversized loads. We mostly ship and install giant wine tanks for the many wineries here in NZ. I enjoy my new job a lot more, but the work can be very infrequent so I'm on the bones of my arse a bit sometimes.

OneViolence

Rear Admiral
Oct 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Fearan
I study programming/computer work at a special IT education campus for people within the autism spectrum

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
So you're a KIWI! Man did I love partying with you guys! My first field command was VXE-6 Operation Deep Freeze. Drank me under the table every time. OMG I miss Brown beer.
What, Lion Brown? It's widely regarded as one of our nastiest beers, but hell its cheap so we drink it anyway. Don't feel bad about being out-drank, kiwis are the result of the targeted mixing of Irish, English, Dutch, and German alcohol tolerance genes and we train from a young age.

Awesome that you enjoyed your time here sir, I'm guessing mostly in Christchurch?

Captain Easy

Commander
Nov 19, 2014
RSI Handle
captaineasy
What, Lion Brown? It's widely regarded as one of our nastiest beers, but hell its cheap so we drink it anyway
We were sailors! The only beer better than cheap beer was free beer.
Yep, Christchurch. We never really had time to do any traveling. But what a cool place. In fact I watched the release of Star Wars in Christchurch. I have traveled all over the world. Every time someone ask me where the best place in the world to visit based on my experience, I always tell them New Zealand.

The last time I was there I hid a highly collectable liberty dime in the stonework of the cathedral in Christchurch. I did this to encourage my return. Sadly it's still there. I would love to go get it and see New Zealand again. Awesome running into you here.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
I've got some bad news for you about your coin. The cathedral took a turn for the worse when we had some pretty serious earthquakes and half the city had to be demolished. This is the current state of the cathedral, the spire came down in the quake and took a fair chunk of the building with it. It's waiting to be demolished as its too far gone for repair.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
Well I accidentally left Scotts off the list, which is my biggest portion but hell I'm pretty much the most mixed bag you'll ever find. I don't normally truck with Australians, but this gentleman sums up our drinking cultures well.

deathstrike

Vice Admiral
Donor
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
deathstrike
This is what I do for a living.

These springs are for an overhead door that we're fixing Friday. A rather heavy one. These springs are .421x55"x7-5/8" and weigh 150lbs each. They have an IPPT (inch pounds per turn) value of 90.82. At max turns of 17, these springs each produce 128.5 ft/lbs of torque for a total of 257 ft/lbs. A 2015 Toyota Corolla's 1.8L 4 cylinder engine produces between 126-128 ft/lbs of torque. This door needs the power of two cars to lift it and I get to wind them by hand! I have such a fun job.

This is a 24'2" x 18' door. Its quite large. We did two of these along with a few other doors for one job. These two doors we got completely done in one day.
That looks like a Toyota forklift, I used to run those 8 hours a day when I worked in a warehouse :)

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
That looks like a Toyota forklift, I used to run those 8 hours a day when I worked in a warehouse :)
Close! Its actually a 2008 Komatsu that we bought maybe a month ago lol. Its painted red because its labeled as a Kalmar which I guess is the company Komatsu bought out in the US.

Reactions: deathstrike
Forgot your password?