So...what y'all do for a living?

Snowianth

Grand Admiral
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Snowianth
I work at McDonald's because in California you need a degree and a CompTIA A+ degree to get hired as an entry level service technician or help-desk/technical support dip-shit. Even after getting multiple certifications and trying to finish my junior college work to get to an University I still cannot get any job computer related. This is after searching far and wide for years, GG.

What I do when I am not a slave to fucked up society is research in computer science practical applications and theoretical design, hence coding, cracking, almost hacking, and pure evil fun.

Fuck you world
Sad that education is not free in all countries. But just hang in there, when u get enough shit karma will save u eventually. Just keep going :cool:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I'm a retired construction guy, interested in learning to build virtual stuff

and goofing around with my Test bros

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Yo, shout outs to my engineering homies. My degree is in mechaninical engineering, but I currently work as an IT manager. I'm far from surprised that we have a lot of IT folks here - would be far more interesting if we had a whole contingent of people who majored in animal husbandry or something... You know, just discussing calf birthing techniques on TS while people are eating dinner...
Side note, im studying B-Eng atm, do you like the industry?

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
I work in a Train Control Center. Kinda like a giant train sim game, but for reals...

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Side note, im studying B-Eng atm, do you like the industry?
Well, I really don't work directly in engineering right now - it's all IT. I'd say it's really hard to judge how good it is to work 'in the industry' - it really comes down to finding the right company to work for. That has as much to do with your own personality and the corporate culture than anything...

Reactions: SPRNinja

Progger

Captain
Donor
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Prog
I'm studying Environmental Science at uni and do some work for an environmental consultancy. It's a great job, getting paid to go outside and take pictures of wombats and trudge through the bush.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
sysadmin in munich, i will team up with CptRichards, we will rule the world (politically and beer-wise)

Croswell

Space Marshal
Mar 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Croswell
Well you get a degree with computers, because you dig computers. Program for 9 months, working 60, 70, sometimes 80 hours a week, and you realize that the salary they are paying you sounds great until you figure out that you are actually making about $10/hour. (ninja edit - After asking the CEO of the smallish company during your interview what he expects from his programmers, because you've heard the horror stories about programmers being royally over-worked, and he says "45ish hours, maybe 50 during a release cycle crunch")

At the same time, the family insurance biz (that is profitable as hell) has an opening. You're young with nothing tying you down, so you move back to the home town, that has a significantly lower cost of living than a major city that is sort of required for tech jobs.

ghost53574

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2014
RSI Handle
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/xgh0st
I personally believe that you shouldn't code anything for anyone under a contract unless you are as knowledgeable as someone like Jon Skeet, unless of course you are an oversees import asking one penny on every thousand thrown away. Besides that the only saving grace I have known in believing there ever was a good career in coding for someone else as a software engineer has been as your own boss ('private consulting'), other then that I have known for a long time that software engineers are run into the ground and paid almost nothing in compensation comparably and yet the lower half of these United States wants a fifteen dollar minimum wage. Besides the obvious fact that raising a wage for all the minimum workers, like me for now, will raise food costs amoung other things by a equal factor of ten you still have the obvious fact that for whatever is the reason why people would even need a minimum wage the reason is only going to worsen the end result.

I am glad you found meaningful employment somewhere else but you don't need to cut off your dreams in computers.

Forgot your password?