SPOILERS: Idris Mission Strategies

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Does mission/rep progression still not carry over between sessions?
They persist through death, but I guess not through a crash.

At 6:51 he is making the assumption that Chimalli shields has 21876 / 4 hp per shield face.
However, afaik Chimalli has 21876 hp per shield face.
43752/2556dps would be 17 seconds.

Think the most likely explanation is that the Chimalli has a very short, but not nonexistent, recharge delay after being damaged.

Anyhow, I'm actually glad if a hammerhead can't take down the shields on Idris in 10 seconds, tho I hope it'd take longer still.
17 sec is for AC, it's 47 sec for PU.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Realistically, swarming the ship with auroras and having a boarding crew would be the most beneficial way to do it. Keep the auroras moving to draw fire, and send a valk in or something, pop open a docking collar and commandeer the vessel. But im not sure you can do that just yet.

Or you just throw as many torps as needed at it, so shouldnt need that many talis or eclipses. The more eclipses you have, the less ordinance you risk losing due to the spacecraft being shot down, because theres just more of them, and theyre harder to hit. However, this maximizes the risk to life. Those eclipse cant take the hits the tali can.

There have been some interesting suggestions, but I think at the end of the day, the aurora swarm will always prevail.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Realistically, swarming the ship with auroras and having a boarding crew would be the most beneficial way to do it. Keep the auroras moving to draw fire, and send a valk in or something, pop open a docking collar and commandeer the vessel. But im not sure you can do that just yet.

Or you just throw as many torps as needed at it, so shouldnt need that many talis or eclipses. The more eclipses you have, the less ordinance you risk losing due to the spacecraft being shot down, because theres just more of them, and theyre harder to hit. However, this maximizes the risk to life. Those eclipse cant take the hits the tali can.

There have been some interesting suggestions, but I think at the end of the day, the aurora swarm will always prevail.
All hail the Aurora swarm.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
As funny as it is to imagine it will not be a thing with server meshing. Think of it as instances within WoW each will have its own players and NPC's and they don't interact across instances. Instances will only be created when the player population within a given area gets to be too high for a single server to handle and the area can no longer be shrunk. Say a Test party at Port Olisar and the server max player load is 100. So all 1000 of us show up which means 10 instances of Port Olisar are spawned. While it sucks that we can't all interact with each other its the limitations of the game code and physical hardware.
I don't think server meshing means what you think it means

it really is about growing 'instances' by 'meshing' the servers' data together

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I don't think server meshing means what you think it means

it really is about growing 'instances' by 'meshing' the servers' data together
Meshing only in that all the players can end up playing together not in that all the players can interact in the same space/time.

We can go further with the Port Olisar example I gave above and say @maynard is in a different instance then @Blind Owl and I being in a third instance. The three of us hankering for more beer decided to team up in search of a rumored Btarfarer making the rounds from Hurston to Grim Hex. Once the three of us leaves Port Olisar we are all three put in the same Instance due to the fact that the area surrounding Port Olisar is rather vacant and can physically see each other's ships.

This is the goal of server meshing instead of always having multiple verses like many MMO's have the goal is to allow for one verse but depending on the player density of a given area either shrink the area grids so that the player population is small enough for a single server or spin-off instances of a given area once the grid can't be shrunk anymore. Currently, we see a max server player count at 50, games like Battlefield had a max player count of 64 and given the slated server tick rate of 30 messages/second I don't think they will be able to get much higher than 100 players per server especially with NPC's being as prevalent as they continue to claim.

So no server meshing is not some magic fix for multiplayer games that allows for thousands or even millions of players to be in the same location at the same time. It simply allows us to all play in the same verse while hopefully seamlessly transferring the players around from one physical server to the next as the players move about.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This is what I show people when server meshing gets brought up.

The issue I've always had with the tech demo of Duel Universe is the fact that they only showed the movement of players across the terrain with no interactions. They also did not go into if it's going to be client-side authoritative or server-side authoritative which matters greatly in any game that has real-time combat. Anyone who's played COD understands the pain that client-side hosting/authoritative brings. I'll have to look for it but I believe Todd said that they are planning on SC to be server-side authoritative which means the server is going to be checking ever client input to validate it.

The other issue with the tech demo of Duel Universe is with their claiming of voxel modification which means the server needs to either cache the voxel modification or retrieve it from a central database and transmit that data to the player this becomes a huge amount of data that needs to be continuously transferred to all players within the given affected area or are approaching the area (precache rendering). This is the same issue SC has been talking about with respect to the Hull C and larger with trying to populate it with the current cargo boxes. As the ship moves away from the space station not only does the server need to send all of the players the current location of the ship it needs to send the current location of each box to every player in a given radius even if they can't yet see it 30 times a second. (This is what allows walk hacking)

But even with basic object information like x,y,z and object name being 64bit, normal, color map, texture map being 32 bit in size being sent to each client it quickly adds up.

And that was always my issue with the tech demo of Duel Universe, the avatars were all the same so at the minimal, they were sending the avatar name, x,y.z, normal and id and so they could get away with pretending they had lots of concurrent clients.

But when you start to scale up the complexity of the objects and the number of objects in the game world state there reaches a limit to the number of concurrent clients a game server can handle and thus if more players then can fit on a server attempt to go to the same location either you queue them up or you instance it. And CIG has stated they plan on instancing a location if more players then can be handled go to the same location.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
The issue I've always had with the tech demo of Duel Universe is the fact that they only showed the movement of players across the terrain with no interactions. They also did not go into if it's going to be client-side authoritative or server-side authoritative which matters greatly in any game that has real-time combat. Anyone who's played COD understands the pain that client-side hosting/authoritative brings. I'll have to look for it but I believe Todd said that they are planning on SC to be server-side authoritative which means the server is going to be checking ever client input to validate it.

The other issue with the tech demo of Duel Universe is with their claiming of voxel modification which means the server needs to either cache the voxel modification or retrieve it from a central database and transmit that data to the player this becomes a huge amount of data that needs to be continuously transferred to all players within the given affected area or are approaching the area (precache rendering). This is the same issue SC has been talking about with respect to the Hull C and larger with trying to populate it with the current cargo boxes. As the ship moves away from the space station not only does the server need to send all of the players the current location of the ship it needs to send the current location of each box to every player in a given radius even if they can't yet see it 30 times a second. (This is what allows walk hacking)

But even with basic object information like x,y,z and object name being 64bit, normal, color map, texture map being 32 bit in size being sent to each client it quickly adds up.

And that was always my issue with the tech demo of Duel Universe, the avatars were all the same so at the minimal, they were sending the avatar name, x,y.z, normal and id and so they could get away with pretending they had lots of concurrent clients.

But when you start to scale up the complexity of the objects and the number of objects in the game world state there reaches a limit to the number of concurrent clients a game server can handle and thus if more players then can fit on a server attempt to go to the same location either you queue them up or you instance it. And CIG has stated they plan on instancing a location if more players then can be handled go to the same location.

I see what youre saying. I guess I would say I use the videos to just give people the basic concept of a type of server meshing. With Star citizen im sure their tech is pretty different, but its a step away from the previous generation of server tech used in mmo's.

Theres a bit of info on their server meshing, I think they did a long thing on ATV about it a couple years ago but i can't find it. I did however find this spectrum thread that elaborates on some things: How is server-meshing possible?

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I see what youre saying. I guess I would say I use the videos to just give people the basic concept of a type of server meshing. With Star citizen im sure their tech is pretty different, but its a step away from the previous generation of server tech used in mmo's.

Theres a bit of info on their server meshing, I think they did a long thing on ATV about it a couple years ago but i can't find it. I did however find this spectrum thread that elaborates on some things: How is server-meshing possible?
Nice find.
welp

it appears that server meshing does not mean what I thought it meant

but if you think I will be humbled by one lousy mistake

think again
Here have a beer it will make you an expert in everything.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Easy guys, I'll just bring my freelancer mis. By the time I have fired all 32 missiles, the idris will be gone!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I have a totally different strategy for dealing with the Pirate Idris. This is TEST Squadron, so we can handle the issue the way we do best, with BEER. Fill up multiple Starfarers full of space beer & then go challenge them to drinking contests. By the end of the week we might have a whole new division of TEST made up of those AI space pirates. All is fair in love & war, so we might as well enjoy. Cheers!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I've got a feeling I now know whats going to happen to Port Olisar...
The quality of TP that has been used inside PO all this time will cause a catastrophic backup that makes the entire station self destruct? That would be 1 hell of a way to advertise @NaffNaffBobFace . "TEST Paper by TEST Squadron, the TP that didn't cause PO to destroy itself. Protect your fleet & purchase today!"

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The quality of TP that has been used inside PO all this time will cause a catastrophic backup that makes the entire station self destruct? That would be 1 hell of a way to advertise @NaffNaffBobFace . "TEST Paper by TEST Squadron, the TP that didn't cause PO to destroy itself. Protect your fleet & purchase today!"
I now have in my minds eye a block of Blue Ice being jettisoned from the Pirate Idris at Quantum speeds and hitting PO with the force of a million fridges being dropped off a sixth floor balcony.

Forgot your password?