SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB vs Intel Optane 900P 280GB

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
The Optane order has arrived, but i can not use it yet ^^ Stupid of me i did not see that it needs a U2 to NVMe or PCIe adapter since it has a U2 cable only, and i have no U2 port (SFF-8643 mini SAS) on my motherboard so i ordered a PCIe to U2 card. I will post the tests result here when the SSD is set up.

Took this card :

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
LOL...
@vahadar you have a perfect timing for the new hardware updgrade...

Hope this tecnology will came back at some point with cheeper and more affordable drive: performance ware good, it's the price tag that kill them...

Reactions: vahadar

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
LOL...
@vahadar you have a perfect timing for the new hardware updgrade...

Hope this tecnology will came back at some point with cheeper and more affordable drive: performance ware good, it's the price tag that kill them...
If no Star Citizen promotion, not interested hehe ;) I have to admit buying the 900p was erm for the Raven (seems the code is obsolete so I opened a ticket), since they are overpriced on starhangar. The SSD is also overpriced but well I have my goodie 😍
And most importantly the code is mine so I'm safe from scammers, like if I can not prove ownership without physical code. Seems there are a lot of scammers with the raven.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Erm... well I give you my seal of approval for the "shiny collector sindrome"... but it really have to be for the Raven???
I mean it's litterally the worst Sabre variant in the 'verse (ok, the comet is basically the same as the base...)... is neither good as a dogfighter or as an emp-carrier.... but I admit it shiny... sooo shiny....

Reactions: vahadar

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I felt for the Shiny hehe :)
Raven codes use to go for 60$ like 3 years ago, I was away from SC then so i missed the opportunity. Last year they would go for 150+, but it was not in my priority list at all. Now they are wayyy overpriced 250+. So i bought my SSD from an US retailer, they had just two 900P left in stock at original price, seems the last one is gone since monday. All in all it is not a bad deal since i have my SSD ;)

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Ok here are my results.
The Optane (U2 version) is pluged on the card i linked above bought from amazon.

It seems the speed is lower that the test on your optane @marcsand2 , i am moving Star Citizen on it to try. I do not think i will notice a difference with just my brain :) but how can i be sure which drive i should install SC on?
Optane is on a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E3)
970 EVO Plus is on M2_1 slot (from AMD Processor) with PCIe 4.0 support

970plus2TB vs Optane 900P 280GB.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot your password?