Star Citizen community hitting cycle lows

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Thanks for the video. Not to take philosophy tips from a cartoon dog in a burning room, but this is fine. Quite a lot of us here have been backers for more than 10 years now - December 2012 here for a Rear Admiral LTI pack (and a lot more since), and plenty of us backed even earlier. Those of us still engaged with the project have self-selected for being patient. Those who walked away are welcome back, and have left a quite rich playable alpha which makes genuine progress each year. Those who backed within the past couple of years or so have joined a project that hasn't massively pivoted since well before then, and ought to have had a fair idea of what they were backing. I think it's getting there bit by bit.

Getting SQ42 to be at least a reasonably good single player game seems to be quite achievable now. Getting the SC PU to a good place is rather a lot more difficult to achieve because it is meant to be so many things to so many players with overlapping but distinct expectations, but also feels achievable for CIG over the span of a few more years, within the bounds of what the speed of light (=network lag and its impact on PvP) will allow.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what's announced at CitCon. I'll take something special - like major progress on PvE content and gameplay, especially exploration - to get me to pledge more, but I don't yet regret what I've put in so far. The only way they could really drop the ball is by not announcing meaningful progress or a believable timeline for SQ42, since over the past several years it has been getting more dev time than the SC PU. Actually my main concern is about what has happened to Chris Roberts - I've not seen anything from him for such a long time, and I'm trying to work out whether that's a 'good thing' or a 'bad thing' in terms of getting a quality, completed, internally-consistent product in players' hands! I have a feeling he is responsible for a lot of scope creep, and perhaps this phase of the project is not where a visionary would add the most value?

I understand why so many backers feel let down. But I don't just now.

M4cex

Captain
Dec 10, 2022
RSI Handle
M4cex
The whole CitCon hype got me worried. I'm afraid that they've been quiet to not cause TOO much hype or expectations but the community finds their way as always... If/when they don't have anything completely MASSIVE to reveal during CitCon this whole negativity momentum will be brutal. I guess if there's nothing interesting it's better to not read forums or watch videos until next year to avoid all that cry from content we didn't get which they didn't promise in the first place :D

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The whole CitCon hype got me worried. I'm afraid that they've been quiet to not cause TOO much hype or expectations but the community finds their way as always... If/when they don't have anything completely MASSIVE to reveal during CitCon this whole negativity momentum will be brutal. I guess if there's nothing interesting it's better to not read forums or watch videos until next year to avoid all that cry from content we didn't get which they didn't promise in the first place :D
They pulled SQ42 off the store, so my theory is a price increase coming. With that there needs to be something solid, like a chapter 1 playthrough. This is my best case scenario.

Its really nothing in terms of the years of development, but its enough to ease concerns and questions about wtf have they been doing for all these years.

Then there are the new ships, I am guessing a big cap ship in the $800-$1000 range, then at least one ready to fly smaller ship. A few concept ship ideas and maybe some variants just to
top it off.

More Pyro teasing is due, there is probably a lot of new footage waiting to go on all that.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
They pulled SQ42 off the store, so my theory is a price increase coming. With that there needs to be something solid, like a chapter 1 playthrough. This is my best case scenario.

Its really nothing in terms of the years of development, but its enough to ease concerns and questions about wtf have they been doing for all these years.

Then there are the new ships, I am guessing a big cap ship in the $800-$1000 range, then at least one ready to fly smaller ship. A few concept ship ideas and maybe some variants just to
top it off.

More Pyro teasing is due, there is probably a lot of new footage waiting to go on all that.
I would love Pyro to be shown at this CitCon but I feel like the backend server code has set back a lot of things. It's not that a lot of things are at a state they can be introduced but that the current server load is over maxed and preventing new content.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I don't want Pyro to be shown at CitCon.
I want Pyro to be downloadable and playable at the minimum.

I for one have been waiting for something to happen and barely touched sc in the last couple of years. Again waiting on CitCon, it's not like there's anything new out so far this year anyways that would be worth the frustration. Yes I tried the racetrscks and the ship looting, kinda fun for 5 seconds, all broken as usual. Everything is the same old as it has been for the last 3 years or so. I think it's pretty much obvious why ppl find this disheartening or even infuriating. Promises left and right month over month, year over year, while there is no practical real world change to the game we want to play. Everything is constantly broken, everything is tier0 or worse. Meanwhile more and more greed and penny pinching from Cig, latest effort being the shit show around ptu access. Yet they do the freeflys that sucks newbies in who have no clue what to expect in the long term. Ofc ppl are fed up with this.

They either deliver at CitCon, or there will be blood. For a bit. Then things will settle down again into the usual lull of whales buying every new jpeg while the avarage Joe gets to fall through the elevator floor for the 837th time on his way to his aurora.
And the cycle repeats. Question is, for how long.

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
I don't want Pyro to be shown at CitCon.
I want Pyro to be downloadable and playable at the minimum.
That could lead to more problems than it solves: If it's released as downloadable\playable during the event, imagine the reaction from those people who have travelled to the event and so miss out on being able to play because they are unable to access their PC's. Then there's the impact on future CitizenCon's, where people will be hesitant to go as they don't want to miss being able to play new content released at\just before the event.

At best, I'd expect an announcement of a release date, being within 1-4 weeks following the event, to allow attendees to return to their homes in time (Some people may have planned extended holidays around the event to take advantage of being in a different country for CitizenCon).

On a similar note, I think that 3.20 is being kept to a very basic patch, not (only?) because they don't have content ready to add, but because it will be competing with a new product (Starfield) and CIG are holding off as they realize many (most?) players will be more interested in playing\watching that game for at least the first few weeks after release.

Reactions: Bambooza

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
At best, I'd expect an announcement of a release date, being within 1-4 weeks following the event, to allow attendees to return to their homes in time (Some people may have planned extended holidays around the event to take advantage of being in a different country for CitizenCon).

On a similar note, I think that 3.20 is being kept to a very basic patch, not (only?) because they don't have content ready to add, but because it will be competing with a new product (Starfield) and CIG are holding off as they realize many (most?) players will be more interested in playing\watching that game for at least the first few weeks after release.
a couple of things

CR has made announcements about major patches dropping in “a couple weeks”, then completely blew it off and didn’t say anything for a year. This was the lead-in to 3.0. Honestly, unless he says that it’s available today, there is no reason to believe him, he has lied, exaggerated, or misled people too many times to have credibility anymore.

second. They run a major risk by not competing with starfield. Yes, starfield has two things against it. Not multi-player, and no seamless world/full world. But, SC is mostly nothing but empty rocks with the occasional base. No life outside wandering NPCs in cities. People could easily play Starfield, then come try or come back to SC and find it…less than they imagined. Remember, a lot of the things people tell themselves about Star CItizen is that CR has promised or the community has imagined, but is not yet delivered.

SC is at about 10-20 percent of the game that they keep promising us. If Starfield give players 80 percent of that promise, then even without the multi-player and full worlds, they might keep the PvE people. This would be a disaster for CIG, as this makes up a significant amount of their backers/playerbase. It also could feedback into PvPers leaving the game because they have no one to gank but other PvP, and that’s not fun like ganking a “care bear“ is to harvest salt. Besides, they might lose.

In other words, if starfield blows players away, and they come to SC and find it…less…than they remembered/imagined, CIG might be in trouble.

CR said if it took 10 years to develop, there could be a problem because they would lose their advantage. This is the first (but not only)with SW Outlaws comingnext year. Time will tell if Starfield will boost SC, or put another nail in the coffin

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Those of us still engaged with the project have self-selected for being patient.
Well said. I'm an original 1990 CR "Wing Commander" player here. And I've decided to view Star Citizen as a 'future retirement hobby.

Patience for a 'truly great' sci fi MMORP has been a hallmark of our generation, IMHO.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That could lead to more problems than it solves: If it's released as downloadable\playable during the event, imagine the reaction from those people who have travelled to the event and so miss out on being able to play because they are unable to access their PC's. Then there's the impact on future CitizenCon's, where people will be hesitant to go as they don't want to miss being able to play new content released at\just before the event.

You do realize that less then 0.001% of the player base would have this problem lol. As part of the rest of the player base that won't be there, idgaf that you chose to be there in person and supposedly have the time of you life and can't play it right away (or more likely you could stand in line and even play it on some computers there). Anyway, I agree, it wouldn't be fair, the easy solution is to release it a week after citcon, but actually do it this time, unlike the last three 3 years..

3.20 is being kept light because the sad truth is they have nothing else done. I don't think they care about starfield. What matters is ship sales. 3.20 doesn't bring new ship sales, citcon will.

Reactions: Bambooza

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
That's pretty cool, I'd love to read about that if you have a link to it?
They came up with the idea and the concepts 25 years ago. from the starfield wiki

Starfield was originally trademarked on September 13, 2013. Pre-production for the game began sometime between 2012 and 2013, and active development began following the launch of Fallout 4 in November 2015.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
They came up with the idea and the concepts 25 years ago. from the starfield wiki

Starfield was originally trademarked on September 13, 2013. Pre-production for the game began sometime between 2012 and 2013, and active development began following the launch of Fallout 4 in November 2015.
Very cool indeed.

I'd always thought the success of the SC crowdfunder would prompt existing studios to put competing IPs into production but I'd not guessed it could have been the spark to get things already in the pot which had languished unloved into the limelight.

No wonder no publishers wanted Chris Roberts IP, they already had their own coming out of their arses stacked up on the shelves in the back office and saw no point in spending money on something they thought no one wanted especially when they already had a stack of properties waiting in the wings. One record breaking Kickstarter later and perhaps that sudden movement of cash from players pockets to the people promising a space game bought those back catalogues back into the investment ring...?

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Very cool indeed.

I'd always thought the success of the SC crowdfunder would prompt existing studios to put competing IPs into production but I'd not guessed it could have been the spark to get things already in the pot which had languished unloved into the limelight.

No wonder no publishers wanted Chris Roberts IP, they already had their own coming out of their arses stacked up on the shelves in the back office and saw no point in spending money on something they thought no one wanted especially when they already had a stack of properties waiting in the wings. One record breaking Kickstarter later and perhaps that sudden movement of cash from players pockets to the people promising a space game bought those back catalogues back into the investment ring...?
Which IP are you talking about? Wing Commander? IIRC, WC IP is property of EA games, not CR. Also, EA either liscensed it, or sold it to Piranha games Now, I might be wrong on it, and if I am, that's okay, but I thought that was one of the main reasons that SC is not WC Online.

Forgot your password?