Star Wars Outlaws

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
A challenge of gameplay movies / cut scenes like this is that they are not 'game play'. IMHO games these days need to work harder to provide not just the latest 'story' cut scene to sell audiences but a real video of compelling gameplay. I didn't get that with this video. On rewatch, my first reaction was that Dune: Awakening might present more compelling game play.

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I got this game for free with some new PC parts, I've now played it for seven (actually more than that, but Ubisoft Connect and Star Wars Outlaws have some serious stability issues) exceedingly unpleasant hours.
Playing on PC, the controls are clunky, even after rebinding them from the default trash they started with, with so many actions having their very own keybind that should've been centralized into a single keybind.
The mini-games are just annoying, fortunately the lockpicking mini-game can be turned off so you can just quick-click through it (there's even a mini-game for EATING, and it is the most nonsensical thing I've ever dealt with in a game, too long, too boring, too many keys you have to hit that have nothing to do with anything.)
The character design is...inconsistent. Early on there is a flashback to the main character in her early teens, but she looks so vastly different I didn't realize it was her until her mother said her name, at which point it was very jarring as the differences are really extreme. To add to that, her proportions change significantly depending on which shirt she's wearing, which is both creepy and jarring.
Me personal, have found the main character to be uninteresting, unrelatable, and unlikable.
I've yet to encounter anything in the storyline that requires locking to a pre-design character instead of having a fully fleshed out character customizer to design a character to our own preferences.
I also don't feel this game should be called 'Open World' as the actual experience has felt more on-rails, in that all the quests have two ways of doing them:
  1. Guess the intended path then follow it perfectly
  2. The quest goes very, very wrong, tanking your reputation with a faction until you save-scum...rinse, repeat, until you find the intended path then continue to repeat until you get it perfect
Then the bugs...Starfield felt far less buggy.
The AI is painfully dumb, but to make up for it they'll randomly detect you through walls from across vast distances, despite having their back turned, then an infinite quantity of enemies will spawn until you either die, bum-rush the objective, flee from the area, or the game crashes (this happens a lot, a whole lot.)
The saves are also a mess, I've yet to load a save to find myself where I was at the time of the save. I frequently end up spending several minutes just trying to figure out where I am after loading a save, though sometimes it works out as it ends up loading me into a safe area on the other side of an obstacle...but other times...it'll load me into a swarm of dozens of enemies all firing at me with no cover, forcing me to load an older save, sometimes even having to go multiple saves back due to the weirdness with the way the game handles saves.
I could go on with the bugs, but really don't want to anymore.

The scenery looks great, at first, but quickly gets repetitive, the speeder doesn't help, partly because the controls for the speeder are so full of jank for PC (watching gameplay footage of people playing on console gave me the impression they designed it around using a controller then just slopped together controls for mouse and keyboard without actually testing them, or even putting any real thought behind them.)

Back to character design, some of the characters look decent, but others look like a fan art caricature, like someone threw in an anime character on accident instead of using that actual character model.

I'm glad I got it for free, because I would be very upset if I had spent money on this mess.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I got this game for free with some new PC parts, I've now played it for seven (actually more than that, but Ubisoft Connect and Star Wars Outlaws have some serious stability issues) exceedingly unpleasant hours.
Well that is disappointing.

I guess we need to wait 10yrs for Disney to use Star Citizen's engine to make a fully immersive Star Wars game!

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Star Wars Theory is six sessions in and seems to be enjoying it. He doesn’t seem to be getting bugs.
Lucky for them!
I've tried looking up causes and solutions, but just find a lot of people complaining about the same bugs I run into.
A really annoying one is random invisible hurdles that aren't always in a spot, but will be there at the worst possible time to cause you to get detected. The of course if the one I mentioned earlier of things detecting you that shouldn't be able to due to distance obstacles, and confirming ahead of time they are facing away from where you need to go.

Well that is disappointing.

I guess we need to wait 10yrs for Disney to use Star Citizen's engine to make a fully immersive Star Wars game!
A better engine still wouldn't help with a character I just can't find a reason to like and a boring predictable story.
If others enjoy it, I'm happy for them, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to go back to playing it...staring at the ceiling has been more entertaining for me.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
if anyone wants to try out star wars outlaws, then i would recommend getting the ubi+ subscription for a month, if your computer cannot run the game you can play it in amazon luna if you have a prime subscription for free (that is what i am doing to try it out). the game does not feel like an open world game, it feels linear. the controls feel clunky but that may just be me. as for gameplay, well it is just like the old school star wars games just new characters. overall it really isn't that bad though i have found parts of it repetitive and boring.

Forgot your password?