Starfarer shadyness

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
Looks like i will be keeping my anniversary Starfarer around longer than I expected (bought it for running around in)

I already used my credit token on my LTI Carrack, so with any luck my SF Gemini buyback won't go up in price before I get a new token

On the flip side of things, Starfarer owners will now have a bigger CCU option cash wise if they upgrade to the Polaris Corvetter when it comes out.

*edit I expected them to raise the price of the SF, it is huge, but I was suprised that they raised the price of the scout $20 bucks

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
This doesn't surprise me in all honesty. The game is increasing in value, as well as it's assets. If we look at EVE Online, we know that these ships do essentially have real world currency in the trade market, and when a several thousand dollar ship gets destroyed in game it has a huge impact on the players. We wouldn't feel the same way about our ships if they didn't increase in value over time. They plan to eventually phase out selling ships for real currency eventually, so it only makes sense to sort of push the boundaries of pricing so they can get their last chunk of change for development before they stop selling them completely. Consider yourself lucky if you bought one early, and go grab a beer and a tissue if you didn't. ;)

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
This doesn't surprise me in all honesty. The game is increasing in value, as well as it's assets. If we look at EVE Online, we know that these ships do essentially have real world currency in the trade market, and when a several thousand dollar ship gets destroyed in game it has a huge impact on the players. We wouldn't feel the same way about our ships if they didn't increase in value over time. They plan to eventually phase out selling ships for real currency eventually, so it only makes sense to sort of push the boundaries of pricing so they can get their last chunk of change for development before they stop selling them completely. Consider yourself lucky if you bought one early, and go grab a beer and a tissue if you didn't. ;)
I didn't have a problem with the Starfarer going from 195(?) to 300, it's a MUCH bigger ship than it was a concept. Some people grumbled, but it was a fair price raise in comparison to other ships in it's size and for the fact that the Starfarer is a mobile refinery in addition to transport.

But jacking up the price another 100 dollars when it goes from Hangar -> Flight ready smells of cash grabbiness to me. No other ships got more expensive when they went from Hangar -> Flight ready, and increasing the price by another 100 dollars right after raising it by another 100 dollars looks very shady.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I already used my credit token on my LTI Carrack, so with any luck my SF Gemini buyback won't go up in price before I get a new token
Buybacks never go up in price. If you bought one for $240 then whenever you get around to it it'll cost you $240 to unmelt the thing for cash or credit. That's why with these new concept ships I buy one with my credit and then keep melting/rebuying so I have several buybacks in my unmelt pool. Just in case I want to use them for LTI.

No other ships got more expensive when they went from Hangar -> Flight ready
Technically the Khartu-al just went up in price from Hangar to Flight...by $20.

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
Buybacks never go up in price. If you bought one for $240 then whenever you get around to it it'll cost you $240 to unmelt the thing for cash or credit. That's why with these new concept ships I buy one with my credit and then keep melting/rebuying so I have several buybacks in my unmelt pool. Just in case I want to use them for LTI.

Technically the Khartu-al just went up in price from Hangar to Flight...by $20.
well thats good to know, but ironically this just rewards people who used store credit to buy/melt/buy/melt during a sales week.

I bet the grey market is red hot now with SF sales

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
As tempting as it is, I will keep mine as i like the idea of being able to farm/refine and store fuel for all of my ships, and possibly org fleet actions.

if nothing else, CCUing it to a higher price ship will give a few hundred discount :D
Oh I didn't trade them away, I helped get them into the hands of TESTies! So we have 5 more Gemini's in our fleet.

Gstar Nova

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Gstar Nova
Have been a backer since Nov. 2013 have more then 5k in the game. Sorry to say I have seen this coming with all the bean counters and marketers hired that are not mentioned in around the verse. Star Citizen is becoming a cash cow for C.R. I'm sure as much as can be imagined this is his retirement plan.
After giving our money to the tune of 100M with no direct control all we can really do is stop buying ships and voice our opinion in the forums. This said I bought 2 Starfares at the time of the original offering in Nov 2013 I think. Doubt the pricing will get better in such situation unless we get involved. My 2cent

Last edited:

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
I agree! However, if they add a quantum fuel - beer upgrade I'm willing to shred another £100!
(Sarcasm)

Plus, CIG miiight just have realised the problem w/ making their head office in Santa Monica...

Whaleman

Commander
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
whaleman
I feel my in depth analysis of ship costs disappeared on the end of last page cause a lot of salty people to miss it, so here's the TL:DR.

Right now you get exponentially more ship when you back the game for more money, once the game is out the ships have to cost exponentially more per size for the economy to work so if you absolutely have to look at what you get per dollar you actually back the game for: You get such a silly amount of ship for 3-400 dollars compared to 20 right now.

The beerfarer can transport 255 times as much beer (cargo) as an Aurora, meaning that in the same time it would take you to transport enough beer to buy a Starfarer in Aurora, you could buy 382 javelins from doing the same in a ship that can also gather raw materials and produce a highly demanded product in the verse.

Compare to a game like ED where the Imperial Cutter cost 6500 times the Sidewinder for a potential of 80 times the cargo. That is probably a bit more what the final ship price economy will look in SC as well.

The amount of ship you get as a thank you for backing CIG for more money than the base is insane.

Devil Doge

Grand Admiral
Mar 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Double_Jinx
I feel my in depth analysis of ship costs disappeared on the end of last page cause a lot of salty people to miss it, so here's the TL:DR.

Right now you get exponentially more ship when you back the game for more money, once the game is out the ships have to cost exponentially more per size for the economy to work so if you absolutely have to look at what you get per dollar you actually back the game for: You get such a silly amount of ship for 3-400 dollars compared to 20 right now.

The beerfarer can transport 255 times as much beer (cargo) as an Aurora, meaning that in the same time it would take you to transport enough beer to buy a Starfarer in Aurora, you could buy 382 javelins from doing the same in a ship that can also gather raw materials and produce a highly demanded product in the verse.

Compare to a game like ED where the Imperial Cutter cost 6500 times the Sidewinder for a potential of 80 times the cargo. That is probably a bit more what the final ship price economy will look in SC as well.

The amount of ship you get as a thank you for backing CIG for more money than the base is insane.
HERASY! how dare you bring logic and rational thought to this thread! thgat being said tho, id rather them charge more for concepts than change the price later.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
Well still salty as a pickle because of the price increase for the Starfarer but fortunately i got a hold of a CCU to a Cat. Which is suppose to increase in size according to the last RTV. So i can't complain.

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
I think the reason in price hike is that there are a lot of people that own starfarrers. Artificially inflating it so as to detest new buyers might also be a way for them to limit sales. Cargo haulers might actually be not as important as this beasts could do what a constellation or freelancer would take 10 trips to do in one trip and do it for longer routes as it processes its own fuel.

BTW if your thinking of buying a new starfarrer I would suggest buying a vandul blade and then ccu to starfarrer for the same price as a single starfarrer. You get LTI with it

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I guess this is just incentive for everyone to buy a fuckton of 0$ CCUs.

Get your Redeemer -> Banu MM tokens while they're hot ya'll.
Huh. Maybe I should go unmelt my Redeemer and grab a token...

Jokyr

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2015
RSI Handle
Jokyr
Yeah i used my Redeemer to Merchantman token the other day just to make sure i got my ship before it's price jumps.

Forgot your password?