Starfield - Discussion Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So... From what you have seen of the game... No weather...?
I've been examining the trailers for something like weather, and I can't see any...

I have been curious about this, since a hallmark ("feature") of the previous Bethesda games (like Skyrim) have been cool views and backgrounds that look like artwork posters.

Think like in Skyrim, how when you get bored, you can always look around and find a cool view. I think that Starfield will be like that, it certainly solves the "boring traversal" problem of flying around and spending time in darkness. I will be curious how they deal with night time on planets, or will they just make it so that there is always a certain amount of ambient light, except in "dungeon" like locations.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I thought they were selling ground vehicles because they are fun and cool looking and thus adds easy money for them...
The more ya know lol
With the paywall to meaningful mining being so high with the Prospector, the addition of the roc was quiet welcome, at least for me. Never thought about the weather aspect though, we already have space ships that can fly out to space no matter the winds or what direction they face, feels like a poor excuse really.

I'm guessing just like in previous Bethesda RPGs there will be weather, but it won't affect gameplay apart from maybe visibility. I don't remember anything being mentioned or shown to point otherwise.
They needed a reason for the ground vehicles before they could sell them. But whatever the reason,CIG will do anything to sell assets.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
If CIG were selling ground vehicles just for the money, the X1 would have been out years ago.
They sold the X-1, the Ranger, the Storm, the G-12 etc. and made money.

Some concept ships are in game others aren't. Either way, CIG sells them and makes money.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I suppose technically that’s true, but releasing ships and vehicles always drop vest sales much higher than concept sales. With the X1, one supposes it’s a tiny amount of work to make it available. Note the Force variant has 2 shields—twice the shielding of the Ursa. That makes it especially attractive as a highly mobile s1 turret. It is also seemingly smaller and more agile than the Nox and Rangers and 400i owners are waiting on it. Releasing it should dump money into CIG’s coffers, yet no X1.

I don’t think there’s a case CIG is only interested in money. In fact, I would not be surprised to find they had the X1 done but aren’t releasing it until they need the good will for some future failing they need to compensate for.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I suppose technically that’s true, but releasing ships and vehicles always drop vest sales much higher than concept sales. With the X1, one supposes it’s a tiny amount of work to make it available. Note the Force variant has 2 shields—twice the shielding of the Ursa. That makes it especially attractive as a highly mobile s1 turret. It is also seemingly smaller and more agile than the Nox and Rangers and 400i owners are waiting on it. Releasing it should dump money into CIG’s coffers, yet no X1.

I don’t think there’s a case CIG is only interested in money. In fact, I would not be surprised to find they had the X1 done but aren’t releasing it until they need the good will for some future failing they need to compensate for.
The ships make their most money at the initial sale.
I do believe it is all about the money. If it wasn't the game would already be complete, and they wouldn't do concept sales at all.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I do believe it is all about the money. If it wasn't the game would already be complete, and they wouldn't do concept sales at all.
I’m not sure what you’re saying here but if it is that CIG has a vested interest to not finish the game, that’s a conspiracy theory that doesn’t make sense. Most gamers will not get involved with a game in Alpha. Once SC is released, those paying and playing will take a leap in order magnitude. Currently there are about 10M players. Once SC releases it’s expected to immediately go over 100M. By way of comparison, WOW Online has 126M. SC is very next gen over WOW and could easily leap to 200M in very short order. At $50 a pop that’s about a $1B payday for reaching beta.

CIG has very strong interests to bring in beta, but also a commitment to not bring in a buggy mess, and freedom from a publisher that will allow them to get it right. So don’t think they don’t want to reach beta. They certainly do. Just we’re still about 4-5 years away.

Reactions: Dirtbag_Leader

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I’m not sure what you’re saying here but if it is that CIG has a vested interest to not finish the game, that’s a conspiracy theory that doesn’t make sense. Most gamers will not get involved with a game in Alpha. Once SC is released, those paying and playing will take a leap in order magnitude. Currently there are about 10M players. Once SC releases it’s expected to immediately go over 100M. By way of comparison, WOW Online has 126M. SC is very next gen over WOW and could easily leap to 200M in very short order. At $50 a pop that’s about a $1B payday for reaching beta.

CIG has very strong interests to bring in beta, but also a commitment to not bring in a buggy mess, and freedom from a publisher that will allow them to get it right. So don’t think they don’t want to reach beta. They certainly do. Just we’re still about 4-5 years away.
wow, even CIG didn't know there were about 10 million of us playing the game right now! lol

1688079513635.png

screenshot taken right now. And that's only registered accounts as far as I know, not necessarily paying customers, although I'm not sure on this one. Someone will correct me.

Your numbers are all over the place. WOW had the all time highest concurrent active player count of over 12mil in 2010. They stopped reporting on player and sub numbers since 2015, so every number since then is a very rough estimate. The over 100mil player count is all time registered accounts, since 2004. It does not equate to any sales as it includes free trial accounts, which I had 4 of over the years besides my payed one, and I know of 3 of my friends who tried the game via my invite code but never upgraded to a payed account. TLDR.:SC won't just get 200mil paying customers out of the blue when they go to Beta. I kinda wish it were true, because it would ensure the upkeep of the project for a good while, but it's just a ridiculous number.

Regardless, it has been stated multiple times that SC will Not use a subscription model, so at the moment, it's hard to see how they want to keep funding the games development, or even the upkeep costs associated with running a multi-million-player MMO once they stop selling ships, which they intend to do when the game moves out of Alpha, or at release.
Cosmetics and direct sale of UEC are on the table for now, but we don't know much else, and that doesn't seem like it would be enough.

Thus it's easy to believe that for CIG, it's best to drag things out, but those who think this usually forget that keeping around 500+ devs and operating multiple studios also costs a shitton of money. So I don't see how it would be worth it to CIG to keep all these employees if they don't actually want to give us a finished product. Having around a 100 in just one place would be enough to keep up with the ship sales. Either it's the worlds most inefficient scam, or we are getting a finished game sometime in the next two decades, hopefully.

I wonder how the sales numbers for Starfield will go, will it hit the jackpot like I expect it to, or is there still a lot of apathy/hate towards Bethesda since F76 failed so hard?

• o7
Reactions: Mudhawk

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
I wonder how the sales numbers for Starfield will go, will it hit the jackpot like I expect it to, or is there still a lot of apathy/hate towards Bethesda since F76 failed so hard?
Why not have the best of both worlds?
If all the people hating Bethesda because F76 failed so hard buy the game just so they can say "HAH! I knew it's gonna suck!!!" actually do buy this game then its going platinum in a week or less.
Maybe they even buy the Deluxe Special Edition to complain about that cheap and flimsy Smartwatch? Wouldn't put it past them if they're on a roll.
And why not?
Even the most expensive version of the game plus themed controller and headset as a bundle still costs less than a single merchantman.
That's a steal.
Ask any SC player if you don't believe it... ;-P

• Glorious

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan

I don't know where you are getting the 10m players. There are less than 5 million backers and you need to be a backer to play. IIRC, even free fly people need to register a backer account.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

CIG makes more money each year not finishing the game. They've been 2-3 years away from finished for 12 years. There is one system, and in the past 6 years, since they introduced the first planetary bodies, they still haven't even finished the Stanton system. The planets, even the "cities," are still mostly empty.

They won't even define what finished means. Without a measurable definition for finished, you can't measure progress.

There is no incentive for them to finish the game. But go ahead and show this "very strong interest."

The game is supposed to launch with 100 star systems. 12 years and we don't even have one complete. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they will complete 4 systems per year (on average), that's still 25 years out. From a real world practical position, they just built a new, huge, studio in Manchester. That isn't an investment you make for just 5 years.

Where do you get 4-5 years?

I don't think a publisher will change anything. A Publisher would have no leverage, unless they bought Chris and Erin out and fired them.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think they’re 4-5 years from Beta and will simply add content continuously after that. There’s no telling how long 100 worlds will take nor if they’ll stop at that. Certainly though Beta is a huge payday. I don’t think you appreciate how motivating this is.

Em. . .yeah. Either I was misinformed or my memory sucks. Seems there are 4M backers. I thought for sure there were 10.

Last edited:
  • o7

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Well, it looks like Bethesda took a different approach to planets, compared with CIG:
  • Each "landing zone" is supposedly around the size of a "Skyrim" map.
  • When reaching the invisible walls around the map you are on, you get a message stating "Boundary reached" and telling you to return to the ship or open the map to choose another region to explore.
  • Planets have 3-5 landing spots that are POI's, along with 3-5 "land anywhere" locations, with the oldest being rewritten\deleted once you exceed this amount on the planet. [1]

It helps explain the lack of ground vehicles, as they would make the edges of the tiles easier to reach... If it takes 40 minutes to hit a boundary, it's a lot less likely that players will encounter (and complain about) them than if it was possible for players to drive around and hit a boundary in a couple of minutes.

[1] View: https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1695720270743445821

You have 3-5 landing spots that are POIs.

You then have 3-5 landing spots where you can land anywhere and once that limit is reached, you just land somewhere else and it basically rewrites/deletes your oldest spot.

You can land and go anywhere and explore the whole planet.
and
View: https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1695725928943321138

Easiest way to view it is like the planet is divided into 500 tiles (not the actual number). You land in one tile, explore, etc. And then jump back into your ship to select another tile to explore. If you really wanted to, you can just select the tile next to the one you've just explored and continue doing this around the whole planet.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Honestly, I expected some limitations of the "fully explorable" planets...

Whether this is a problem or not, we will see. We already knew we won't be able to "free-fly" around the planet like in SC -- we need to choose a POI or randomly selected landing spot before; and this needs to be done while onboard. See my post from June.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
3-5 poi per planet, the rest is generated nothingness. I don't see an issue here really, that's plenty of space to do nothing in.
I already know from previous titles that tried this approach (NMS, ED, SC..) that exploring a full planet is pointless and boring. It will be the same here regardless of hard boundaries.

Also, I don't get it, what drama, what did anyone expect?
We know it's still running on the same logic as Morrowind did, just spruced up. Every map is still just a cell, a traditional "map" or "level", the insides of buildings and other "zone" transitions are just loading another cell. All cells have hard limits. This time they have made procedurally generated cells, grouped them up and called it a planet.
Will this significantly impact your experience in this type of game? I doubt it. There will be the occasional edge case of "but I really wanted to build my base on that mountain that turns out is just a skybox" but for real, worrying about this for more than a minute is silly.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
nexus.png

Modding community is ready

"Starfield is almost here! We can't wait to join Constellation and explore the stars on 1 September and we're even more excited about the potential for mods the game has. Sim Settlements in Space? Yes, please. A whole new perk overhaul? Don't mind if we do. A mod that turns all planets into sandwiches? Sure! Today we're going to talk about the Starfield Community Patch Project which serves to collect and fix any bugs in the base game.

The idea of a community patch for Starfield isn't new and has been something that we know a lot of you have been very passionate about from the moment the game was first announced. This project draws parallels to similar successful efforts for Fallout 4, Skyrim SE, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and more.

The Starfield Community Patch Project was set up in December 2021 but had been put on ice when the game got delayed. We're now approaching release so things are starting to ramp up again (...)".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starfield site on Nexusmods.com

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I wish I could forget the game is coming out now and just wait 1yr and play it modded!
You can do it Boss Man

I can feel your discipline.

The other plus point is if you buy it in a years time it will be like 25 bux too. Mods and dollarpound savings!!!

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?