Starfield. Hope for Star Citizen.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I have to say after countless hours playing Starfield it gives me renewed hope for Star Citizen.

There is something magical about landing in a random location walking to a poi and engaging hostile npc's. Taking the time to pick up the back story of the location the random notepads and items left behind. Even the items them selves tells a story and helps convey the idea that this place was lived in. Like tools on the wing of a pulled apart spacecraft. Or food cubes stacked on to of plushes in the fridge. And in the loading screens and quick travels I'm reminded of what star citizen is attempting to accomplish and it renews my hope in the game.

For instead of a quick animation of travel you get to fly down and land. Instead of some random location it's been scaned from orbit and picked as a poi or end point of a mission. And even watching the design brief with cargo it showcases far more activities around these locations as well as creating contention points with those looking to do some trading and those looking to cause mischief. (Could just as easily be the reverse with smugglers attempting to move contraband)

If anything the fun of flying and visiting random outposts has shown me is that it's a ton of fun and I look forward to doing the same with far more freedom and realism in Star Citizen.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I feel the exact same way.

I did not really care much about SQ42, I did not back for that, but after playing Starfield I have some new thoughts on the matter.

If SQ42 can deliver a good narrative driven story line, the game engine we have right now will be perfect in a single player game.

SQ42 might just be a bigger hit that we expected.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I was wondering the other day what was taking up so much space on my PC...Turns out it was Starfield!
I genuinely forgot that just a week ago I was putting a 100+ hours into that game. It is what it is, an xbox360 era game with all it's limitations, just with worse writing and much much bigger.
SC is still the only game pushing concepts advanced enough to deserve the title of next-gen, and I don't see anything else trying to compete for that. It will be truly a step forward, out of the early 2000's slump that we have been in. If it ever gets done, that is...

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I was wondering the other day what was taking up so much space on my PC...Turns out it was Starfield!
I genuinely forgot that just a week ago I was putting a 100+ hours into that game. It is what it is, an xbox360 era game with all it's limitations, just with worse writing and much much bigger.
SC is still the only game pushing concepts advanced enough to deserve the title of next-gen, and I don't see anything else trying to compete for that. It will be truly a step forward, out of the early 2000's slump that we have been in. If it ever gets done, that is...
It is my hope that a lot of content is done and it's just the server limitations that is keeping them from adding it into the game world releases. But we will see I am very much on this year's citizen con will be either rejuvenate the playerbase or its lighting dumpsters on fire and burning it to the ground.

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It is my hope that a lot of content is done and it's just the server limitations that is keeping them from adding it into the game world releases. But we will see I am very much on this year's citizen con will be either rejuvenate the playerbase or its lighting dumpsters on fire and burning it to the ground.
Yep, thinking the same thing kinda.
My only problem with this is that last 3 years of citcon made it kinda clear for me that they truly don't have any more than they are showing, at least when it comes to SC content. So I kinda lost all hope of a big "surprise, we release 6 new systems for ya with tier2 game mechanics all around" type of announcement. I don't think they have anything apart from a couple of planets and stations in Pyro, as shown for the last 3 years.
Obviously they got tons more stuff done or at least partially done for squadron, that I am pretty sure of.
I'm expecting a shitshow, but I do wanna be surprised.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?