Starfield - Which version are you getting (poll)

Which version are you going to buy or have you bought

• Gamepass (Xbox)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gamepass (Ultimate)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Now that Starfield has gone gold, I need to make a decision on which version to buy.

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox Gaming Pass PC subscription next week ($9.99 per month with one-dollar 14-day trial) and play the game on August 1 (early access). [ Wrong ]. If the game is bug-free, I would buy the standard version on Steam once the early access ends; if the game is totally f***ed, I would cancel subscription before the end of 14 day trial period. If the game is bugged, but playable, I might keep the sub for couple months and purchase Starfield on Steam later this year; it might be slightly cheaper around December.

I assume it would be possible to transfer save files between Gamepass PC and Steam, however I could start over on Steam in case it's not possible.

Prices for reference:
Xbox Gaming Pass PC: $9.99 per month / $1 if cancelled before the end of trial period

Starfield Standard, Steam: $69.99
Starfield Premium (incl. early access): $99.99

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I'll wait a month or two and see some reviews if it's god or a joke.

Lifes to short to waste money on shitbox unfinished overhyped games. Patience my young padawan.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Now that Starfield has gone gold, I need to make a decision on which version to buy.

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox Gaming Pass PC subscription next week ($9.99 per month with one-dollar 14-day trial) and play the game on August 1 (early access). If the game is bug-free, I would buy the standard version on Steam once the early access ends; if the game is totally f***ed, I would cancel subscription before the end of 14 day trial period. If the game is bugged, but playable, I might keep the sub for couple months and purchase Starfield on Steam later this year; it might be slightly cheaper around December.

I assume it would be possible to transfer save files between Gamepass PC and Steam, however I could start over on Steam in case it's not possible.

Prices for reference:
Xbox Gaming Pass PC: $9.99 per month / $1 if cancelled before the end of trial period

You need one more option: "Just bought BG3 and won't be seen in society for an indeterminate amount of time."

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I got the standard edition PC on steam.

Then I realized that it does not have early access!

No way Im sitting back and watching you guys enjoy the game 5 days before me!

Now Im refunding the standard edition and grabbing the Premium.

Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm a big fan of space opera games but from what I've seen so far there's a bunch of on-foot and not much in-space and planet side isn't exactly my idea of a space game even if the planet has alien crabs and spoon-billed elephants.

I'll wait for release and see if it's got more to it than has been revealed so far before choosing an access method.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Still contemplating buying standard edition after launch or just playing on gamepass.
If it turns out to be truly skyrim in space, I'll just buy it. If it's more like a linear bore fest like the other worlds or whatever the previous non Bethesda iteration of would be skyrim in space was called I'll just play on gamepass.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Have you ever played a Bethesda game?

This is the same thing, with some spaceship elements built in.
Don't think I have but to this point as far as I am aware they are very terrestrial and not very space based, so will wait to see how that's been implemented...

I suppose if they'd made this game using their traditional IP's it'd be a magic mirror or some other kind of arcane portal taking players to other maps/alternate realities, or something?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I'll go for the PC premium early september (i need to complete the new rig before installing it...), not much for the early access but for the includeed expansion: I got burned time ago when I''ve purchase Battletec without the expansion pass and ended up buying all the expansion anyway becouse they are good and rich of content... not making the same mistake again!

Reactions: Bambooza and wmk

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

It has been confirmed that you can jump play beteween the two platform, BUT you need both the version.
If you buy it from Steem it will include only the PC version, if you'll like to jump play you'll need to buy it from the Microsoft store: that purchase should include both PC and X-box version.

Also be notice that cross play will be affected by future mods installed: for save porting to work properly you'll need to havve both enviroments with exactly the same mods setup: ex extra mod on one side will invalidate the save while you try to load it in the other system.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I suppose if they'd made this game using their traditional IP's it'd be a magic mirror or some other kind of arcane portal taking players to other maps/alternate realities, or something?
Ehm... no
This is a brand new IP that is not tied with any other Ip they have so far, so no, no magic portal that will bring you from a farm in Skyrim to Proxima Centauri... if that is that you meen.

Montoya question I suppose is related to the actual gameplay of usual Bethesda games: exploration is the Key mechanincs and it lead to 90% of the guest and game activity.. basically anything that fall out of the main quest is triggered by exploration adn interaction with NPC.
And they are also full Mod supporters: both TES and FO series are basically OpenSurce game in term of modding so if it lacks space based activity be sure there will be mods for that in the future.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Ah yes, Starfield Early Access. Interesting topic in my specific case.
So I got that Digital Edition with the Early Access. And an appointment for gallbladder removal on the first of September. So that's a Friday and chances are the local butchers are gonna release me around the 4th. Given the size of the game I'll spend the 5th with downloading. So my "Early Access"is going to be a matter of hours.
Then again, 1 or 2 weeks of sick leave right when it matters. And who needs a gallbladder anyhow? :-P

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox Gaming Pass PC subscription next week ($9.99 per month with one-dollar 14-day trial) and play the game on August 1 (early access). If the game is bug-free, I would buy the standard version on Steam once the early access ends; if the game is totally f***ed, I would cancel subscription before the end of 14 day trial period. If the game is bugged, but playable, I might keep the sub for couple months and purchase Starfield on Steam later this year; it might be slightly cheaper around December.

Prices for reference:

If having it 5 days early is important to you, get the premium. For me, my company gave us Friday before Labor Day (US) off, so I am off the 1st through the 4th, meaning I have a lot of time to play initially that I might not later on, so I am getting an early access version.

HOWEVER, if you are waiting on mods...like say the NVIDIA mod, body/face mods, convinced that Bethesda will ship a buggy mess and "the community will fix it", etc., then just get the regular edition.

This is a single player game. You are not going to "fall behind". Enjoy it at your own pace.

That said, I have a much better gaming rig in my SC box than an XBOX will ever be, so why not get the PC version.

If you really want a try before you buy, reviews are embargoed until noon? EDT on Aug 31...that leaves you most of a day to review it and see what other say. If it's a hot buggy mess, at least a few people will say so.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
It has been confirmed that you can jump play beteween the two platform, BUT you need both the version.
If you buy it from Steem it will include only the PC version, if you'll like to jump play you'll need to buy it from the Microsoft store: that purchase should include both PC and X-box version.

Also be notice that cross play will be affected by future mods installed: for save porting to work properly you'll need to havve both enviroments with exactly the same mods setup: ex extra mod on one side will invalidate the save while you try to load it in the other system.
C'mon, I'm not a console peasant! : ) -- I'm going to play Starfield PC on a Gamepass PC and try to move save files to Steam -- as far as I know, it was possible to move progress from Gamepass'ed PC Bethesda games and Steam before.

If having it 5 days early is important to you, get the premium. For me, my company gave us Friday before Labor Day (US) off, so I am off the 1st through the 4th, meaning I have a lot of time to play initially that I might not later on, so I am getting an early access version.
Gamepass costs between $1 and $10, while Premium is $30 extra. I would pay 1$ if the game is totally f**ed, or $10 if it's playable.
It's also important to mention that I HAVE some days off already secured ; )

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Ehm... no
This is a brand new IP that is not tied with any other Ip they have so far, so no, no magic portal that will bring you from a farm in Skyrim to Proxima Centauri... if that is that you meen.

Montoya question I suppose is related to the actual gameplay of usual Bethesda games: exploration is the Key mechanincs and it lead to 90% of the guest and game activity.. basically anything that fall out of the main quest is triggered by exploration adn interaction with NPC.
And they are also full Mod supporters: both TES and FO series are basically OpenSurce game in term of modding so if it lacks space based activity be sure there will be mods for that in the future.
Naa, I mean if they hadn't gone to a space IP but still wanted a game with multiple Skyrim sized maps you move between using an existing IP, so they could have you hop between the normal world and an underworld, a dream world, a shadow world etc.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ordered the Constellation when it was announced. They sold fast ;)

Playing BG3 ATM and waiting for the collector to ship also at the end of this month.
Ya they did I tried to get one as I'm a sucker for physical swag but could not find one to buy.

Forgot your password?