Starting a D&D group

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by sum1, Jan 31, 2018.

1. sum1

sum1 Admiral

United States
    RSI Handle:
    sum1
    I am going to start running a D&D group. I am looking for two players that can meet about once a month. There will be a total of 5 people, me as DM and 4 players. hit me up on discord if you have interest, I have 2 people already down so only 2 slots open, noobs welcome. I am planning on picking the unlucky two in a week so hit me up on discord if you want to play.
    If you want to watch a great video of D&D here is Critical Role...

2. maynard

maynard Space Marshal

RSI Handle:
    mgk
    is D&D anything like B&D?

if so, count me in

3. Wolfy

Wolfy Space Kitty

United States
    RSI Handle:
    WolfytheWarlock
    I'm possibly interested. I usually play D&D on Fridays with another couple guys in my battalion. #dragonkin

Blind Owl and Ammorn like this.
  4. sum1

sum1 Admiral

United States
    RSI Handle:
    sum1
    well your chances of being tied up are about the same

hit me up on discord if you want to apply.

Blind Owl, Ammorn and CrudeSasquatch like this.
  5. Printimus

Printimus Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Printimus
  6. sum1

sum1 Admiral

United States
    RSI Handle:
    sum1
  7. Radegast74

Radegast74 Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Radegast74
    Thanks for posting that video! Very cool, for some reason, I had never thought to look up D&D stuff on youtube...safe to say that when I started playing D&D back in 19...back in 19-cough cough, let's just say, last millennium, I never thought I'd see stuff like this!

8. Printimus

Printimus Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Printimus
    It's not the most active bunch of turds, but its how i found my group.

9. Dalarast

Dalarast Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Dalarast
    My wife and I just got back into D&D in the past few months. We now run a bi-weekly campaign with just my wife and two daughters and me as the DM. I was amazed how 5d dnd was able to be picked up so quickly and how "quick" it felt to get into the flow. Add in the joys of scanners, printers, tablets, phone applications, DnD beyond, etc, etc... so much stuff out there to help players and DMs alike.

Critical Role is perhaps the most popular of the DnD shows on youtube; but there are more out there that when I'm not glorified by the joy of seeing Montoya's "daily" videos I try to watch. Or listen to on podcast when on a run.

And don't get me started on miniatures. So much cheaper than ever before (or is it that as an adult I can afford things...) and from foam cutting to 3D printing I am now making terrain and other campaign accessories on my own.

Basically what I want to say is... OMG DND.. RPG... TABLETOP LIFESTYLE!!!!!! AM I RIGHT?!?!?!

10. marctek

marctek Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Marctek
    I just started playing last week with my kids, my wife and one of my kid's friends. I played 20 some odd years ago for a bit but never really knew what I was doing. My son started telling me he wanted to start playing. So last week I ordered the starter pack.

Now we are going to play again this weekend and I'm looking at ordering the big books.

11. Printimus

Printimus Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Printimus
    There's a lot you can find online too. The Player's Handbook and other supplements are pretty easy to find if you search hard enough.

12. Sirus7264

Sirus7264 Admiral
    Donor

Japan
    RSI Handle:
    Sirus7264
    DM:
    You are walking through the forest of despair and you see a glimmer of light from above its a golden slayer dragon. What do you do?
    Pro player 1:
    I use my magic missle scroll and aim for his wing to knock him out of the sky
    DM: you died
    Pro player 2: i throw my excalibur sword and hold my aegis shield to protect myself
    DM: he eats you and spits out your shield
    Noob player 1: I compliment him on his gorgeous color and tell him all the lady dragons are hanging out at club dragon and he should go get some dragon tail.
    DM: Dragon poops out pro player 1 and 2 and flies full speed at the volcano noob player 1 told him the club was at full speed.

13. Radegast74

Radegast74 Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Radegast74
    Well, like everything else now (*EVERYTHING*) there is a YouTube video that will show you how to do stuff:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srsSEIb-Bw4

He has a whole bunch of videos on tips for playing...again, holy cow, never thought I would see this back when I started playing back in 19...19 cough cough, 1979!

Blind Owl, CrudeSasquatch and sum1 like this.
  14. sum1

sum1 Admiral

United States
    RSI Handle:
    sum1
    Matt Mercer is the DM god, everything he says is canon as far as I am concerned. also "holy cow" are we sure it is a cow? (Critical roll reference: They turned themselves into cows at one point, it was AWESOME.)

15. Printimus

Printimus Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Printimus
    Maybe i should watch some of this.....critical role.

Blind Owl and CrudeSasquatch like this.
  16. sum1

sum1 Admiral

United States
    RSI Handle:
    sum1
    take maybe out of that sentence and you are set. They just started a new campaign, they are only 5 episodes in. so unless you want to be 140sh 3 hour episodes behind.

17. Radegast74

Radegast74 Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Radegast74
    I tried watching some of the recent stuff and while it is good...really good...each episode is *long*. To warm myself up, I watched a 30 minute clip of this, and it definitely whet my appetite to watch a longer episode. I definitely have attention problems, even if I'm having a great time playing SC with people, after about 60 minutes or so, I'm ready to get up and do something else...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o

18. Printimus

Printimus Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Printimus
    Nice, ive seen the Vin Diesel one, its pretty funny.

Blind Owl likes this.
  19. Printimus

Printimus Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Printimus
    oh god....

Blind Owl likes this.
  20. Bruttle

Bruttle Vice Admiral

RSI Handle:
    Bruttle
    I'd be game if I didn't already have a group. I'm pretty lucky on that. We have a weekly group that plays at our house. Some of them have actually been with us for over 4 years. Tabletop games can turn out amazingly epic when you have time to play characters for long periods of time. We've had the chance to play just about every system out there. Savage Worlds is the one we have used the most. It's simple and flexible. It has it's drawbacks, but the pros outweigh the cons.

We're playing a 5e game now though and it seems like a pretty good system. There's less chance for cheesing around on an OP character. Those always break a campaign. 3.5 and Pathfinder had that in spades. They have so many characters that make it almost impossible to balance as a DM.

Right now, we're playing Princes of the Apocalypse. It's been a blast so far. One thing to keep in mind with 5e, is that encounters can be brutal. You really need to play your abilities properly and take frequent "long rests". You'll end up losing characters often if you don't. You can't just push through and wing it like other systems.

Also, check out the bear totem barbarian. They're incredibly hard to kill. I should know. My wife is actually trying out the DM chair on this one and she tries to kill my character every sesson...

Blind Owl likes this.