Stories from the Noobfront

FlyCasual

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 3, 2021
RSI Handle
FlyCasual
On the PTU for the first time. They have given me a ton of money, more than I have ever had in the game. Buy a ship and start to fit it out. Go to Grim Hex to buy power supply, JS400. Remember these things just disappear sometimes so I will buy a couple of spares. Click the add button a couple of times and confirm. Go to buy coolers, not enough money?! Oh, I hit MAX instead of the plus. I now own 185 JS400 powersupplies. Great, just great. At least I will never need a JS400 again, Next day the PTU patches. All 185 JS400s are gone. I am having so much fun in this game.:like:

FlyCasual

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
welcome to Not Ready for Prime Time

they're called Alpha releases for a reason ...

patience is a virtue

*insert your favorite platitude here*

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you for diving into the PTU and suffering so I don't have to!

I don't have time to devote to properly testing the game and although the PU is an unfinished alpha the PTU is where all the serious serious testing occurs before it goes to PU. It's not that I don't want to help out, but I'll not be going in the PTU ever.

FlyCasual

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 3, 2021
RSI Handle
FlyCasual
Thank you for diving into the PTU and suffering so I don't have to!

I don't have time to devote to properly testing the game and although the PU is an unfinished alpha the PTU is where all the serious serious testing occurs before it goes to PU. It's not that I don't want to help out, but I'll not be going in the PTU ever.
I really don't see PTU as any different to PU, it is all buggy as heck but fun. I do report back issues on both. I don't want to be an unpaid game tester but I do want the end game to be as solid as it can be.

Reactions: Vavrik

FlyCasual

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 3, 2021
RSI Handle
FlyCasual
Did the Whammer end up in the Slammer?
So I am still learning to fly and mostly running bounties and on general chat the usual nonsense was going on. Someone begging for cash with a tale of woe and attracted the attention of someone who offered him some money for a whammer burger, the begger continued to beg and make excuses about why he could not get the burger for the rich guy and this went on for awhile between them. It became clear the begger wasn't going to do the work to get the money. I was buying guns for my ship at Microtech so I said I would get one for a burger for the guy offering money. I go across the mall and grab him one but discover you can't stow it. So carrying in my hand I head back to my ship. I hop in the ship and fly up to meet mr. generous, he is of course in a 890 and he meets me at his air lock. He looks at my ship and says, you don't have my burger and flies away. My ship is a gladius and it has no place to put the burger down while I fly so it had disappeared. So I got no money but I did learn something about personal inventory and called it a day on the burger money. The begger of course continued begging and life went on in the verse.

FlyCasual

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 3, 2021
RSI Handle
FlyCasual
So I hit a wall in learning to bounty hunt at Hammerheads. Up to that no problem, but in my light fighters I just wasn't getting through the shields on the Hammerheaad. So I saved up and bought the one of the least expensive Vanguards, the Sentinal. I gear it up with a nice quantum drive, better shields, and guns. This works and gets me over the hump. Hammerheads die now, this is nice. A day later I have a half an hour at lunch so I decide to run a bounty. Could be tight but should be doable. I run down, pull my ship and hop in. Launch pull away from the station and point at my ship at the job and head out. Hit B. Nothing happens. Hmmmm weird. Maybe too close to the base push the gas and move out some. Push the B. Nothing. Dangit, point, repoint all the usual fixes fail. Maybe I am obstructed look for an OM. Hmm nothing showing up. Wait a minute, I have no guns at all except the Suckerpunches in the turret. I have no quantum drive, it is just gone. No shields. All my non-standard kit is gone, disappeared. Ok, land call it a day. Spend a couple of nights getting my cash back up and run around today and replace all the stuff. Fly a few new missions and enjoy them. Land and go to look at another ship. The Sentinal which is sitting on the pad is listed as unknown with the option to reclaim. Oh dear. I suspect when I play later all my kit will be gone again. If you don't laugh you will cry.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So I hit a wall in learning to bounty hunt at Hammerheads. Up to that no problem, but in my light fighters I just wasn't getting through the shields on the Hammerheaad. So I saved up and bought the one of the least expensive Vanguards, the Sentinal. I gear it up with a nice quantum drive, better shields, and guns. This works and gets me over the hump. Hammerheads die now, this is nice. A day later I have a half an hour at lunch so I decide to run a bounty. Could be tight but should be doable. I run down, pull my ship and hop in. Launch pull away from the station and point at my ship at the job and head out. Hit B. Nothing happens. Hmmmm weird. Maybe too close to the base push the gas and move out some. Push the B. Nothing. Dangit, point, repoint all the usual fixes fail. Maybe I am obstructed look for an OM. Hmm nothing showing up. Wait a minute, I have no guns at all except the Suckerpunches in the turret. I have no quantum drive, it is just gone. No shields. All my non-standard kit is gone, disappeared. Ok, land call it a day. Spend a couple of nights getting my cash back up and run around today and replace all the stuff. Fly a few new missions and enjoy them. Land and go to look at another ship. The Sentinal which is sitting on the pad is listed as unknown with the option to reclaim. Oh dear. I suspect when I play later all my kit will be gone again. If you don't laugh you will cry.
I've had this kind of shenanigan too often to fly anything but stock loadouts now. If i especially desire a specific loadout I get a ship with that kit and then mix and match components on to the hull I want them to fly, so if things vanish I can do a bunch of insurance claims instead of running around the 'verse trying to find where they moved a certain thing to in this patch.

The only problem with getting a ship with the parts you want is a) it's expensive and b) the ship loadouts change unless you got one of the custom loadout 300 series ships which have their bits and bobs listed and pretty much set in stone.

The joys of Alpha, eh?

Forgot your password?