Super Hornet or Freelancer?

Frequency

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2013
So with the sale going on this weekend I'm in a bit of a dilemma..

I have a Freelancer package right now with LTI, but the Super Hornet is looking at me and I must say I like the sight of it.

What do you guys think, should I melt my Freelancer and get a Super Hornet instead, making that my starting ship, or should I keep the Freelancer (not enough funds available for both unfortunately ;))?

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
Melt it and get 3 Auroras.

~*~

My first buy-in was a Hornet entry package, so upgrading to Super Hornet made a lot of sense to me. I then decided to get another starter package, so I could use the guy it came with to be my Gunner, but I made that starter package a 315p, because I know I want to explore and even haul very light cargo.

Since then, I've come to realize that having just the Hornet wasn't ultimately going to be the best way for me to start, because it would have limited me so much to the dogfighting role. So it feels really good to have both a dogfighter and an explorer.

If you know you want to dogfight to the exclusion of everything else, definitely go for the Super Hornet. But if you want to do other things as well, either also get something relatively affordable like an Aurora, or start with the Freelancer and earn a 325a in the game or something.

You're gonna be flying a military Hornet in the single-player Squadron 42, so it kinda depends on if you want to graduate from single-player into the 'same' ship, or an interstellar trader. (Unless you're initially skipping Squadron 42.)

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
If you want the baddest dogfighter all around go get the Super Hornet :D

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
Fuck the superhornet.

With enough upgrades the Freelancer can hit heavier than the superhornet ever could.
Not to mention it's longer range, has cargo space and heavier armor. Sure, it won't accelerate as fast, nor will it be more maneuverable, but at the end of the day, the Freelancer is a better ship. The only reason I don't have one is because I have a Constellation instead.

Flipper

Grand Moff of TEST Squardon
Nov 1, 2013
Not to mention it's longer range, has cargo space and heavier armor. Sure, it won't accelerate as fast, nor will it be more maneuverable, but at the end of the day, the Freelancer is a better ship. The only reason I don't have one is because I have a Constellation instead.
The Freelancer is not a dogfighter. Comparing the Freelancer to a Hornet (any variety) is like comparing apples to clementines (smaller, more maneuverable oranges that still taste hit great). That said, if you want to go any distances, the Super Hornet's jump drive doesn't make up for its lack of a bed (and thus exclusion from the 'hibernation' mechanic, or whatever they're calling it).

Reactions: JimiJons

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I guess I shouldn't use the term 'better.' 'More versatile' would be an accurate way to describe it. It's not necessarily better at combat than the F7C-M, but with its 4 class 2 hardpoints, 2 class 3 points, class five dorsal turret and ventral gun (unlisted on specs page for some reason), it can definitely function as a small gunboat. I do have to say, though, that I think the Cutlass or Caterpillar might be better at those roles-- the Cutlass due to agility, and the Caterpillar due to armor and firepower.*

*speculatively

Flipper

Grand Moff of TEST Squardon
Nov 1, 2013
I guess I shouldn't use the term 'better.' 'More versatile' would be an accurate way to describe it. It's not necessarily better at combat than the F7C-M, but with its 4 class 2 hardpoints, 2 class 3 points, class five dorsal turret and ventral gun (unlisted on specs page for some reason), it can definitely function as a small gunboat. I do have to say, though, that I think the Cutlass or Caterpillar might be better at those roles-- the Cutlass due to agility, and the Caterpillar due to armor and firepower.*

*speculatively
Speculatively, I'd agree with you. The Freelancer isn't supposed to be a combat ship, really. As near as I can tell, it's a trading vessel with guns to repel pirates. If you want a "gunboat", I'd say a Constellation, Cutlass, or possibly Caterpillar (I don't remember it's hardpoint layout) will be your best bet. By definition (mine, at least) a gunboat has heavy armament and/or armor, but limited maneuverability. By that definition Constellation or Caterpillar is most accurate. The Cutlass might fit the bill, but I think it's lighter on the armament and heavier on the maneuverability. A Gladiator with standard weapon hardpoints instead of missile/torpedo/bomb pylons would be the perfect example I think.

All that said, of course, we're still a very, very long ways from release so theorycrafting is basically pointless. The best thing to go on is what the developers have announced as their intention for each ship's role: Freelancer as a trading vessel, Hornet as a dedicated dogfighter, Gladiator as a modular bomber, etc.

LuLu

Admiral
Nov 11, 2013
RSI Handle
DJLuLu
I have the Freelancer and I'm excited about it. It has more variations coming soon and it'll be a great starter ship for exploring/transporting. If you wanna go Super Hornet you can Co-Pilot my Freelancer with me. Just don't try to cuddle with me in my bunk.

Reactions: Frequency

Frequency

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2013
I have the Freelancer and I'm excited about it. It has more variations coming soon and it'll be a great starter ship for exploring/transporting. If you wanna go Super Hornet you can Co-Pilot my Freelancer with me. Just don't try to cuddle with me in my bunk.
I ended up taking the Hornet (despite the advices against it haha).

Where can I sign up for the cuddling?

Forgot your password?