Super Hornet with C-788 "Combine" Ballistic Cannon + GT-220 Mantis

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Hi All,

I've been TESTing Fixed Ballistic Loadout on Anvil Aerospace F7C M Super Hornet:
- 1x Behring C-788 "Combine" Ballistic Cannon
- 3x Gallenson Tactical Systems GT-220 Mantis

ScreenShot0787.jpg

And I've noticed an interesting feature (or bug). While GT-220 are indeed fixed, and you need to align ship's nose with the aiming point, C-788 on Hornet Flashfire Specialty Mount appears to be gimbaled.
It's not as much freedom as with the standard turret having 2 x Badgers, just some movement area, sufficient to hit the target consistently.

I've tried this earlier, and all guns have been fixed, which felt like "this sucks". With this "feature" it now feels like "love it".

Have you had the same feature? I think it's going to be awesome to have it in the game.

Here's a video.

Note, Epic Ending, exercising the exclusive right of TEST Squadron Member.

Reactions: Sraika

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Most likely a bug. Enjoy it while you can!

I used the 3x Mantis and Combine load out, as well as the 3x Mantis and Apocalypse Arms Ballistic Gatling with my Hornets and Flash fire mount in 2.6.3, and they were fixed weapons back then. I think I preferred the Ballistic Gatling over the Combine cannon, the PIPs lined up very close so I didn't have to think, I would just squeeze both triggers.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Pretty sure it only looks like a gimbal. It is not pointing anywhere a fixed would not, and the C-788 is S4. It would not fit on the Hornet in a gimbal.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I did a bit more research.
2.6.3 spec was saying the projectile travels at about 1.1 km/s, but when I've reviewed the footage frame by frame (120fps) it looks like the speed is about 2.2 km/s.

I've also done a quick google search and found that in the same caliber there's been an actual cannon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_recoilless_rifle

The above cannon's projectiles could be anything between 5 to 10 kg and could penetrate more than 700mm of armor.

So, thinking of an analogy, I'd be keen on C-788 cannon do quite a bit more damage. For now 1 shot only depletes Scythe's shields to near-zero level and it takes quite a few shots to destroy one. If only the C-788 rounds are piercing Scythe through due to thin armor, and exploding on another side...

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
A lot has changed the last few months, and I saw a few things that made me think this is now a broken resource, but if you look here:

http://starcitizen.team/

what you can see is that at least for a time, the C-788 was planned to be the post powerful DPS of any sub-capitol ship size weapon. It is an S4 that puts down more hurt than any of the S5 weapons.

So yeah, no matter the changes, it should be an awesome weapon to use. I think despite the changes, the main advantage to ballistic is none of the damage is attenuated by the shield--all goes straight to the hull.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Hi All,

I've been TESTing Fixed Ballistic Loadout on Anvil Aerospace F7C M Super Hornet:
- 1x Behring C-788 "Combine" Ballistic Cannon
- 3x Gallenson Tactical Systems GT-220 Mantis

/.../
And I've noticed an interesting feature (or bug). While GT-220 are indeed fixed, and you need to align ship's nose with the aiming point, C-788 on Hornet Flashfire Specialty Mount appears to be gimbaled.
It's not as much freedom as with the standard turret having 2 x Badgers, just some movement area, sufficient to hit the target consistently.

I've tried this earlier, and all guns have been fixed, which felt like "this sucks". With this "feature" it now feels like "love it".

Have you had the same feature? I think it's going to be awesome to have it in the game /.../

Yep, I noticed the same when testing Size 4 Apocalypse Arms Revenant Ballistic Gatling on Flashfire in 3.something.
By the way, at some stage I had it with three GT-220s as well. That configuration was pretty cool, but then something broke (I swear, I didn't do anything) and I could no longer mount them under the wings.

ScreenShot0188.jpg

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
A lot has changed the last few months, and I saw a few things that made me think this is now a broken resource, but if you look here:

http://starcitizen.team/

what you can see is that at least for a time, the C-788 was planned to be the post powerful DPS of any sub-capitol ship size weapon. It is an S4 that puts down more hurt than any of the S5 weapons.

So yeah, no matter the changes, it should be an awesome weapon to use. I think despite the changes, the main advantage to ballistic is none of the damage is attenuated by the shield--all goes straight to the hull.
Thanks for the link, it looks like a very handy site. However, from previous experience it doesn't match with my observations in arena commander. For example in the old Pirate Swarm when you get to Aegis Wardens, it takes a while to take one down with standard loadout (2 bulldogs + 4 badgers), but this site says if you aim for the body (the strongest part) it will destroy one in 6 seconds. Maybe it's that you'd be hitting different areas, get overheating, target shields will regenerate, etc.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Yep, I noticed the same when testing Size 4 Apocalypse Arms Revenant Ballistic Gatling on Flashfire in 3.something.
By the way, at some stage I had it with three GT-220s as well. That configuration was pretty cool, but then something broke (I swear, I didn't do anything) and I could no longer mount them under the wings.
Well, if we get all of those gimbaled, then Super Hornet description will actually be true: "... a truly terrifying mark to engage ". Pretty sure F7A could do S3 on wings/nose and S4 on turret gimbaled.

Forgot your password?