T-16000m FCS Hotas / Rudder Pedal Setup

OzarkHippy

Space Marshal
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Galileo
Hi
I just installed a new Thrustmaster joystick with throttle and rudder pedals. I'm looking for some setup help.
Ideally a step by step setup guide would be great. Im not sure what action to set to what button. I guess if I could down load an already made profile that would be great.
I'm not sure if I should use the target program, or just do it in S.C.

Thanks, Ozark

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
First lets see which buttons you have (I just nicked a picture from mcdee.net, purely for education purposes)
upload_2017-12-1_21-16-42.png

Second lets list a few bindings.
  • pitch/yaw
  • roll
  • strafe
    • left/right
    • up/down
    • forward/back
  • throttle
  • boost
  • afterburner
  • primary fire
  • secondary fire
  • missile lock and fire
  • counter measure cyle
  • counter measure
  • target:
    • reticle
    • target nearest hostile
    • next target
  • shield
    • left/right/front/rear
    • up/down
Third assign the bindings.
  • pitch/ yaw: flightstick
  • Since you have pedals and twist, you can choose to assign roll to twist or pedals. I prefer pedals because the pedals are not so accurate in the beginning, but roll doesn't has to be super accurate. Try to switch between twist and pedal to see what suits you best.
  • strafe left/right/up/down: the index finger button on front of your throttle looks very good for that
  • strafe forward/back: the paddle on the front of the throttle
  • throttle: throttle
  • primary fire: fire button on flight stick
  • secondary fire: left top button on flight stick
  • missile lock and fire: right top button on flight stick
  • cm fire: back button on flight stick
  • cycle cm: pov on flight stick down
  • targeting: pov on flight stick up/left/right
  • boost / afterburner: the up/down button on the front of throttle
  • shield: select one of the 3 povs on the side of the throttle
  • select another pov on the side for power and the 3rd for more advanced targeting
  • zoom: the turning wheel on the left of the throttle
Now you have the basic controls assigned. A few buttons still available, you can use them for additional controls. Try them, if some controls which you often need are at a bad reachable place, try to swap them with bindings you don't use often

Fourth, clear all existing bindings, go to SC main menu, options, keybindings, Joystick/hotas, open each group and clear everything. Double click and press right mouse button.

Fifth, assign the bindings to the buttons/axis

Try them, look if they fit your needs, otherwise swap them

Additional controls for PU:
  • landing mode
  • flight ready
  • mobi glass
  • leave seat
  • eject
  • self destruct
you have the 6 buttons on the left and right of the flight stick.

OzarkHippy

Space Marshal
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Galileo
First lets see which buttons you have (I just nicked a picture from mcdee.net, purely for education purposes)
View attachment 8322

Second lets list a few bindings.
  • pitch/yaw
  • roll
  • strafe
    • left/right
    • up/down
    • forward/back
  • throttle
  • boost
  • afterburner
  • primary fire
  • secondary fire
  • missile lock and fire
  • counter measure cyle
  • counter measure
  • target:
    • reticle
    • target nearest hostile
    • next target
  • shield
    • left/right/front/rear
    • up/down
Third assign the bindings.
  • pitch/ yaw: flightstick
  • Since you have pedals and twist, you can choose to assign roll to twist or pedals. I prefer pedals because the pedals are not so accurate in the beginning, but roll doesn't has to be super accurate. Try to switch between twist and pedal to see what suits you best.
  • strafe left/right/up/down: the index finger button on front of your throttle looks very good for that
  • strafe forward/back: the paddle on the front of the throttle
  • throttle: throttle
  • primary fire: fire button on flight stick
  • secondary fire: left top button on flight stick
  • missile lock and fire: right top button on flight stick
  • cm fire: back button on flight stick
  • cycle cm: pov on flight stick down
  • targeting: pov on flight stick up/left/right
  • boost / afterburner: the up/down button on the front of throttle
  • shield: select one of the 3 povs on the side of the throttle
  • select another pov on the side for power and the 3rd for more advanced targeting
  • zoom: the turning wheel on the left of the throttle
Now you have the basic controls assigned. A few buttons still available, you can use them for additional controls. Try them, if some controls which you often need are at a bad reachable place, try to swap them with bindings you don't use often

Fourth, clear all existing bindings, go to SC main menu, options, keybindings, Joystick/hotas, open each group and clear everything. Double click and press right mouse button.

Fifth, assign the bindings to the buttons/axis

Try them, look if they fit your needs, otherwise swap them

Additional controls for PU:
  • landing mode
  • flight ready
  • mobi glass
  • leave seat
  • eject
  • self destruct
you have the 6 buttons on the left and right of the flight stick.
Thanks marksand2
This is what I needed for ideas on what to program where. The picture helps too. I will work with this and see how it goes.
Thanks, Ozark

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
One thing to keep in mind is that there are three options for each axis, something like pitch_up, pitch_down and pitch_axis. I don't remember the actual labeling at the moment. You want to assign your movements to the third one in each, the one that doesn't specify a direction, or you'll get some weird results.

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
One thing to keep in mind is that there are three options for each axis, something like pitch_up, pitch_down and pitch_axis. I don't remember the actual labeling at the moment. You want to assign your movements to the third one in each, the one that doesn't specify a direction, or you'll get some weird results.
The first 2 options also can be handy. I have no twist and lacked 1 axis, so I bound strafe back to my left pedal brake and strafe forward to my right pedal brake.

Reactions: DarthMunkee

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Any setups for the X56?
I can make a suggestion. What is your main focus? Combat or something else? I found this bindings scheme. Some buttons are not really clear to me. On top of the flight stick there are 4 way POV switches. What is the thumb button? It looks like an analog axis which limits options.

I prefer to split pitch/yaw to right hand, strafe to left hand under an easy to access button/axis, since these are primary controls, in combat and maneuvering. The thumb button under rotary button on the throttle looks good for strafe, but has the big disadvantage that it rotates with throttle. In middle throttle position up-movement is up, but in back throttle position up-movement is up/forward, in front throttle position up-movement is up/backward. I have this issue with the Warthog Throttle thumb POV. That is why I used the index finger POV for strafe. The position of the throttle doesn't affect the movement direction.

Reactions: Printimus

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
I'm not sure if I should use the target program, or just do it in S.C.
I have been using TARGET since I first got my joysticks... but I am suspecting that the program may be "complicating" 3.0 setup and use..
so now I'm trying to get away from TARGET... but there are a few complications that I'm sure can be resolved. The best thing that TARGET offers is setting up dead zones..... so
@marcsand2 I think I understand how.. but could you show me/us how to set a dead zone on a joystick axis in SC?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
SC main menu -> Options -> Controls -> button bottom right select the joystick you want to adjust scroll down to change Deadzone per axis

upload_2017-12-2_20-38-7.png

Don't ask what saturation is, you can google as good as I can :wink:

upload_2017-12-2_20-39-45.png

if you bind an axis in SC main -> Options -> Keybindings -> Advanced keybindings -> Joystick / HOTAS than you will see which Joystick you have bound to an axis. For me right flightstick is input3, left strafestick is input1, throttle is input2 and rudder pedals is input4

Reactions: Vavrik

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Thanks Marcsand.. I see they cleverly hid the joystick dead zone adjustments under the headings of joystick dead zones.... who would have guessed!?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I have both the T1600m joystick and the throttle. I made myself this PDF document (attached under the honking big image here...) so I can keep track of what I have programmed in the joystick. I attached the base png too, so you can create your own if you don't like the document style. It's just an idea anyway.
I never bothered to map the throttle, I don't use mine at the moment., since I also use PowerGrid, and the keyboard. It's just how I learned it.

@marcsand2 has good advice. Use what works best for you, not just because someone else has the same setup. But one piece of advice, is during a dogfight, or if things get hot doing tricky maneuvers, you do not want to have to take your hands off the stick, or the throttle to find something - and you ultimately want to instinctively know where they are.

t1600m-jc-layout.png

Attachments

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Love to see pictures of these setups, especially the ones with rudder pedals as I am debating about getting some myself!
I love the pedals. Since I upgraded to a Warthog I lost the twist, gained accuracy without twist but had to wait too long for the pedals. When they finally arrived, it was hard to learn use roll again using my feet, but when I got it, it is wonderful. You really must decouple that movement from your right hand and learn to do it without having to think about it.

Reactions: StdDev

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I can make a suggestion. What is your main focus? Combat or something else? I found this bindings scheme. Some buttons are not really clear to me. On top of the flight stick there are 4 way POV switches. What is the thumb button? It looks like an analog axis which limits options.

I prefer to split pitch/yaw to right hand, strafe to left hand under an easy to access button/axis, since these are primary controls, in combat and maneuvering. The thumb button under rotary button on the throttle looks good for strafe, but has the big disadvantage that it rotates with throttle. In middle throttle position up-movement is up, but in back throttle position up-movement is up/forward, in front throttle position up-movement is up/backward. I have this issue with the Warthog Throttle thumb POV. That is why I used the index finger POV for strafe. The position of the throttle doesn't affect the movement direction.
THIS IS AWESOME! Thanks Marc! I primarily will be focusing on industrial gameplay with precision flight movements. Not a very combat oriented kinda guy. I really appreciate this man!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
THIS IS AWESOME! Thanks Marc! I primarily will be focusing on industrial gameplay with precision flight movements. Not a very combat oriented kinda guy. I really appreciate this man!
Industrial precision flight movements means that you primary need high precision while at close distance, not flying around, outside view and camera viewpoint are important. Still you must be able to do some flight and basic fight in case of hostilities.

Something like this?
upload_2017-12-3_17-25-48.png

It is personal preference. You also must check if the controls are easy to operate. It looks like the throttle on the X56 doesn't has such a big stroke than the Warthog throttle, but I don't own a X56.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Industrial precision flight movements means that you primary need high precision while at close distance, not flying around, outside view and camera viewpoint are important. Still you must be able to do some flight and basic fight in case of hostilities.

Something like this?
View attachment 8366

It is personal preference. You also must check if the controls are easy to operate. It looks like the throttle on the X56 doesn't has such a big stroke than the Warthog throttle, but I don't own a X56.
me likey

Forgot your password?