Tanks and Toys

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
Nice. I love bullpups :slight_smile:
do some research about the MDR, even people that don't like bullpups like this gun. or are impressed. really cool gun, and a .308 as well as .223 but .308 is soooooo much better in my book.
Why an ACOG?
I used an ACOG in the military, they are really well made, the ease of use with the range finding ballistic sight is amazing, you can shoot them with both eyes open letting you keep better situational awareness. just an all around really good optic, there is a reason most Nato forces use Trijicon optics in one regards or another.

EDIT: The Star Citizen version of my MDR

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I guess I was more asking why a magnified ACOG over something like a red dot or halo given the bull pups more close quarter engagement usage and lower typical MOA.

Reactions: Blind Owl

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
I guess I was more asking why a magnified ACOG over something like a red dot or halo given the bull pups more close quarter engagement usage and lower typical MOA.
A 3-4x optic kinda has the best of both worlds, enough zoom to engage targets at range and given it has a 16" barrel and shoots a .308 this is a very good thing. Also, the way an ACOG works it is almost like a dot sight works, as long as you mount it properly the red-lit aim point is very easy to see, and always in focus. so as long as your head placement is proper (and that is a requirement for dots or even irons, but not halos) If you are shooting within 10-20m you look over the top of the gun and as long as you are not blind you should be able to hit a target. If I really feel it is needed I will add an angled rds.

As for your bullpup comment, you are wrong, it is a stigma they have, but not really true as far as modern firearms go, in fact, the M-Tar has a better effective range than the M4s. A military M4 has an MOA of ~4 using 855 ball ammo (yes it really is that bad). Desert Tech is known for their accurate guns, and the MDR is no exception (see video below) shooting a 1-2 MOA, and even a sup 1 with high-grade ammo.

Last bullpups are not "close quarter engagement" they are shortened to help with that, however, they also have longer barrels than most classic rifles, and to top this off the MDR fee floats the barrel (as much as you can with a gas system) the M4 I used in the army had a 14.5in barrel and a 33in (stock extended) overall length. My MDR has a 16in barrel and a total length of 26in. so yes it helps you use it in tight spaces but if properly made does not affect its range.

MDR test at 100 yards with multiple ammo types

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
1-2 MOA is not bad at all. I was looking at the IWI x95 and it was only getting a 4-5 MOA which seemed to be rather normal for that class of gun.

My MDR has a 16in barrel and a total length of 26in
Nothing special there as all non regulated rifles match this or are longer.

I have to say looking at the MDR it seems to be a very impressive bullpup and you'll have to get back to us on how it feels after you've used it a while.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
1-2 MOA is not bad at all. I was looking at the IWI x95 and it was only getting a 4-5 MOA which seemed to be rather normal for that class of gun.
Desert Tech is known for accurate guns... and honestly, I would expect nothing less than a gun that cost as much as a JPG of a Javelin in Star Citizen (well the gun is cheaper, but not by much) Desert Tech made guns like the SRS and the HTI, both known for being long-range precision rifles. and from all, I have seen they have done it again with a tactical semi-auto.
Nothing special there as all non regulated rifles match this or are longer.

I have to say looking at the MDR it seems to be a very impressive bullpup and you'll have to get back to us on how it feels after you've used it a while.
Well, that is kinda the thing, all guns have to be 26 inches with a 16-inch barrel, most (non-bullpup) guns come nowhere close to that. if you put a 16-inch barrel on an AR-15 you are looking at 35 inches at least. So ya the length is something that all bullpups do, but honestly, the gun is so short I don't think I would put a smaller barrel on it if I could. It gives me the best of both worlds, range, and a compact system, that is what I liked about the concept of bullpups, and this one seems to be delivering on.

I will definitely keep people informed that want to be informed. very hyped to take it out to the range soon.

Forgot your password?