Tea bags

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
Yeah I asked for sweet tea up in the Pacific northwest once. The lady said we have black tea and there is sugar on the table. I said lady have you ever tried to melt sugar in ice water? Just bring me a beer.
Ps: how do you get all that sugar in sweet tea? Pure southern water, not loaded down with all the crap they put in yank water. If your face puckers, thats the good stuff.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Yeah I asked for sweet tea up in the Pacific northwest once. The lady said we have black tea and there is sugar on the table. I said lady have you ever tried to melt sugar in ice water? Just bring me a beer.
Ps: how do you get all that sugar in sweet tea? Pure southern water, not loaded down with all the crap they put in yank water. If your face puckers, thats the good stuff.
You have to get it hot enough to super saturate the water with sugar. Super saturation is when a liquid holds more of a dissolved substance in it than normal due to a higher temperature.

The next Southern magic is getting it to cool back down without releasing any of that sugar and keeping it a liquid. I'd tell you, but the instructions are in a Southern Gospel and I'd need 30 people to echo my words as we sang about tea.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have a teabag ready for VirtualAce

it ain't Earl Grey
Is it black tea? Irish Breakfast? English Breakfast? Sleepytime? Lemon? Green tea? Mint tea? Raspberry tea? Half tea half lemonade? Mango tea? Peach tea? Cinnamon tea? Chai tea? Lavender tea? Chamomile tea? Acai Tea?

... or decaf?.... Bleh.

Also, Iced or Hot?
fragrant

slightly salty

ninety-eight point six degrees fahrenheit
I see the important questions have already been asked and answered. Huzzah.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I see the important questions have already been asked and answered. Huzzah.
Making your life simple. Next I'm inventing beers that chill themselves. Like it will be warm but when you pop the cap off it immediately chills itself to a refreshing tempetature.

Well, a normal refreshing temperatute... -15 C is too cold Owl.

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
You have to understand that America is married to ice. That's why Canada is our brother in law.

We drink Iced Tea, Iced Coffee, and we stick ice in our soda. Everywhere you go here, it is just assumed that you want ice in your drink. You have to specify if you want it hot.

Iced tea with lemon is what I drink. It's not like hot tea at all. I do enjoy a nice cup of Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast tea, but not as much as I like iced tea.

Some tea here comes in a powder form. Don't get that here. It's nasty. Stick with tea bags or straight tea leaves. Also, use real lemons and filtered ice :slight_smile:
That's a pretty good explanation! Iced tea is meant to be a thirst quenching beverage for hot, summer days where the relative humidity/dew point is 100%. You brew it hot in a pitcher, and optionally add sugar. Then chill it down over ice. I drink tea hot in the winter often to warm up, and iced tea in the summer to cool down. Restaurants in the north attempt sweet tea by adding sugar to cold/chilled pre-brewed and pre-chilled tea, which general chemistry can tell you is a mistake. (Due to increased solubility of sucrose in water as you increase the temperature of the solvent). Sweet tea (like Montoya mentioned from Bojangles) can contain even more sugar than soda pop, so I pretty much adopted unsweetened when I started grad school in '09 for health reasons also.

I ate at Bojangles for the first time the other week.

At the register she asked if I wanted a refillable sweet tea for $1, I said "yeah!"

I filled up this giant 32z cup with the golden liquid, put the lid on the top and took it to the table.

Once seated, I punctured the lid with my straw and took a long sip.

I have diabetes now.
Bojangles? Isn't that from a song...
Following my recent trip to train up some of your cavalry soldiers I was most surprised that Americans don't all just have genetic diabetes
Bojangles is a chain of fried chicken restaurants that also specialize in all day breakfast sandwiches that look like this (The Cajun Fillet Biscuit Sandwich which is a slightly spicy fried chicken breast on a buttermilk biscuit - it's savory and not sweet. I'm not familiar with the British equivalent, I know "biscuits" in the UK are what America calls "cookies"). [Nutritional information here if you want to die a little bit, Montoya is not lying about the diabetus.]

They are also known for seasoned fries/chips or mashed potatoes that come along with it.
If I'm not mistaken, they started in Charlotte, NC when I was a little kid. My mother would get take out about once a month from there. I definitely prefer it over Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) and reminds me a lot of Popeye's (which is distinctly New Orleans/NOLA based). It is still far behind Chick-Fil-A, in my opinion.

There is a Bojangles Take Away Restaurant halfway down Concourse B in the Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT). I highly recommend trying it once if you have a connecting flight at that airport. (You would have to leave the airport and travel 30-45 minutes to a local restaurant to enjoy the other specialty of the region, pulled pork barbecue.)

Here's a sample commercial:

And another from the year I was born!

And someone trying to eat one of everything on the menu:

I don't know if that qualifies me as the Biscuit Minister (Since I also bake cookies)?, apologies for anyone still reading this! :smile:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I ate at Bojangles for the first time the other week.

At the register she asked if I wanted a refillable sweet tea for $1, I said "yeah!"

I filled up this giant 32z cup with the golden liquid, put the lid on the top and took it to the table.

Once seated, I punctured the lid with my straw and took a long sip.

I have diabetes now.
WELCOME TO AMERICA! :D

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
That's a pretty good explanation! Iced tea is meant to be a thirst quenching beverage for hot, summer days where the relative humidity/dew point is 100%. You brew it hot in a pitcher, and optionally add sugar. Then chill it down over ice. I drink tea hot in the winter often to warm up, and iced tea in the summer to cool down. Restaurants in the north attempt sweet tea by adding sugar to cold/chilled pre-brewed and pre-chilled tea, which general chemistry can tell you is a mistake. (Due to increased solubility of sucrose in water as you increase the temperature of the solvent). Sweet tea (like Montoya mentioned from Bojangles) can contain even more sugar than soda pop, so I pretty much adopted unsweetened when I started grad school in '09 for health reasons also.

Bojangles is a chain of fried chicken restaurants that also specialize in all day breakfast sandwiches that look like this (The Cajun Fillet Biscuit Sandwich which is a slightly spicy fried chicken breast on a buttermilk biscuit - it's savory and not sweet. I'm not familiar with the British equivalent, I know "biscuits" in the UK are what America calls "cookies"). [Nutritional information here if you want to die a little bit, Montoya is not lying about the diabetus.]

They are also known for seasoned fries/chips or mashed potatoes that come along with it.
If I'm not mistaken, they started in Charlotte, NC when I was a little kid. My mother would get take out about once a month from there. I definitely prefer it over Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) and reminds me a lot of Popeye's (which is distinctly New Orleans/NOLA based). It is still far behind Chick-Fil-A, in my opinion.

There is a Bojangles Take Away Restaurant halfway down Concourse B in the Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT). I highly recommend trying it once if you have a connecting flight at that airport. (You would have to leave the airport and travel 30-45 minutes to a local restaurant to enjoy the other specialty of the region, pulled pork barbecue.)

I don't know if that qualifies me as the Biscuit Minister (Since I also bake cookies)?, apologies for anyone still reading this! :smile:
WELCOME TO AMERICA! :smile:
Duck yeah!

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
You have to get it hot enough to super saturate the water with sugar. Super saturation is when a liquid holds more of a dissolved substance in it than normal due to a higher temperature.

The next Southern magic is getting it to cool back down without releasing any of that sugar and keeping it a liquid. I'd tell you, but the instructions are in a Southern Gospel and I'd need 30 people to echo my words as we sang about tea.
That's what i said.

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer

Get the Ham biscuit, you will need the sweet tea to nullify the salt in the ham. my wife loves the dirty rice.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
i love my iced tea strong, nearly bitter. Southern sweet tea just terrifies me. then again, with what i eat, My family is certain I am constantly trying to poison myself with Capcaisin.

Last edited:

Crichten

Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
Im_batman
So basically what happened....
Y'all went and threw all that Tea off that ship into a cold Boston harbour, someone drank the water from said harbour and realised that actually it tasted kinda nice cold... and realising that you all did really actually like tea and the British but wanted to save face made up Iced Tea?

And some fucking restaurant where they reckon you can get away with a romantic candlelit fucking KFC !!!! WHAT FUCKING LUNACY IS THIS BULLSHIT!!!!

The fact this is using an American Spell checker is also BULLSHIT

Forgot your password?