Terrapin GamesCon Reveal

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
The Sentinel will probably be a much better version of the Terrapin. I don't know why people are proposing the Turtle is a mining ship. It is a long range radar and scanning/exploration ship. If you look at the link Sam posted above at time index 22m, you'll see this. Freeze the vid at time index 22:40 and you'll see the detail that is has S2 radar, S2 scanners, S2 shields, etc. This is the first time I have seen size designations for scanners and radar, but you should expect this kind of utility in the Sentinel. The difference is the Sentinel is not a starter ship. Its a GOOD ship that probably outperforms the Turtle in every way. It should. It costs more. The Lancer Dur is a much more capable ship than the terrapin save that it will probably not be nearly so stealthy, and stealth is a real advantage when scanning and exploring.

BTW, did y'all notice it in on the official ship comparison page? It has a single S5 unmanned turret. Not shabby for a starter ship, but they're calling S2 shields "heavily shielded", which is a bad joke. That thing is a flying target, but probably quite stealthy when wearing void armor.
This is from the third starter ship stretch goal :

• Aegis Terrapin: A literal tough nut to crack, the Terrapin is the most heavily armored of the base-priced spacecraft on the market. Originally designed for long-range survey missions in dangerous star systems, the Terrapin’s design philosophy involves wrapping the ship in additional layers of armor and reserving a significant amount of engine power to host the largest shield generator in its class. Terrapins are popular among private miners, with an equipment mount and a small storage hold that can be converted for valuable minerals.

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
This is from the third starter ship stretch goal :

• Aegis Terrapin: A literal tough nut to crack, the Terrapin is the most heavily armored of the base-priced spacecraft on the market. Originally designed for long-range survey missions in dangerous star systems, the Terrapin’s design philosophy involves wrapping the ship in additional layers of armor and reserving a significant amount of engine power to host the largest shield generator in its class. Terrapins are popular among private miners, with an equipment mount and a small storage hold that can be converted for valuable minerals.
That's old stuff. Look at the Terrapin in the ship store on the RSI website. That's what it has become today. ;)

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I must disagree good sir. Matt Sherman has stated that when determining sizes of weapons for a slot, -1 for gimbaled and -1 for being a turret. Size 5 slot, -2 =3. Therefore 2xS3's unless this has changed.
While most famed for its exploits discovering new worlds and rescuing soldiers under fire, the Terrapin is also a fighting ship. The extensive armor combined with the S5 remote turrent mount in the nose has given it a reputation as a ‘flying tank.’ Addition Size 2 laser cannons are also fully configurable. The Terrapin does not usually mount expendable weapons (ballistics or larger missiles) because it is designed to remain self-sufficient without resupply for extended periods of time.

pulled thats from the page :)

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
While most famed for its exploits discovering new worlds and rescuing soldiers under fire, the Terrapin is also a fighting ship. The extensive armor combined with the S5 remote turrent mount in the nose has given it a reputation as a ‘flying tank.’ Addition Size 2 laser cannons are also fully configurable. The Terrapin does not usually mount expendable weapons (ballistics or larger missiles) because it is designed to remain self-sufficient without resupply for extended periods of time.

I concede that it comes with Size 2's, however, I believe it will be able to equip up to 2xS3's. Many ships follow this one step down philosophy. Probably togive you something to work towards on game release. :) But thanks for the reference. Forgot about the huge bio for it.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The Terrapin is meant to go out to the fringes of known space, scan down Objects/Points if Interest and investigate their status. As such, it would need some type of beefier sensor suite than a ship of similar size. It also just so happens to have lots of armor(for its size category) but obviously lacks in the weapons department (1S5 unmanned turret = 2x unknown laser weapons, probably 2xS3's). It may have some modularity but just looking at the design of it, it would have to be a variant because you would have to completely change out the sensor operator station thereby doing an interior rework which would change the ship enough to warrant a variant concept.
I can't fault your assessment. I have been presuming that the slots necessary for things like radar and sensors would be interchangeable, and that is not necessarily so. From the vid it looks like they will not be. If they are, then probably the Sentinel can fill the same role as the Terrapin, but the Terrapin would be much smaller footprint.

Still though, I gotta say this thing looks like a flying target. You may as well paint a bulls-eye on the top. Ships that are both slow and cannot maneuver are going to have trouble. I can't see a role for the Terrapin over the Dur except unless the Terrapin is unusually stealthy, and the Lancer is cheaper. If it is stealthy, there might not be a better sip for exploring Vanduul space.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I must disagree good sir. Matt Sherman has stated that when determining sizes of weapons for a slot, -1 for gimbaled and -1 for being a turret. Size 5 slot, -2 =3. Therefore 2xS3's unless this has changed.

Was just going to quote this. Haha.

Reactions: AstroSam

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
I can't fault your assessment. I have been presuming that the slots necessary for things like radar and sensors would be interchangeable, and that is not necessarily so. From the vid it looks like they will not be. If they are, then probably the Sentinel can fill the same role as the Terrapin, but the Terrapin would be much smaller footprint.

Still though, I gotta say this thing looks like a flying target. You may as well paint a bulls-eye on the top. Ships that are both slow and cannot maneuver are going to have trouble. I can't see a role for the Terrapin over the Dur except unless the Terrapin is unusually stealthy, and the Lancer is cheaper. If it is stealthy, there might not be a better sip for exploring Vanduul space.
I am curious to see what the advantages/disadvantages will be between the Terrapin and DUR. As of now we only have armor, guns, and cargo space to go off of. Who knows what the exact scanning/sensing capabilities of both will be.

I do have a possible alternate use for the Terrapin though. I'm thinking small blockade runner. You could haul small amounts of sensitive cargo over what should be a pretty good distance, past awaiting pirates or space police. It should be able to take a beating and have its shields either Regen quickly for you to be able to quantum out, or maybe the shields last longer for you to do the same thing.

I do like the mention of the Terrapin being a combat search and rescue craft. Was wondering how a Cutlass Red was going to be able to survive the battlescape.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
you havent seen me hype over a ship yet :D when i hype i read and reread every little detail till its engrained into my life not just my brain "hows your day? oh good, did you know the terrapin has two s2 utility mounts?" ;)
Haha, you crack my up brother. I'm hyped for her. Definitely. She's what I was looking for.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I am curious to see what the advantages/disadvantages will be between the Terrapin and DUR. As of now we only have armor, guns, and cargo space to go off of. Who knows what the exact scanning/sensing capabilities of both will be.

I do have a possible alternate use for the Terrapin though. I'm thinking small blockade runner. You could haul small amounts of sensitive cargo over what should be a pretty good distance, past awaiting pirates or space police. It should be able to take a beating and have its shields either Regen quickly for you to be able to quantum out, or maybe the shields last longer for you to do the same thing.

I do like the mention of the Terrapin being a combat search and rescue craft. Was wondering how a Cutlass Red was going to be able to survive the battlescape.
This. All this. I see much utility in this ship. Much.

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
IMHO Cutlass Red owners should consider getting the CCU to a Terrapin. Don't apply the CCU until the Cutlass rework is done but in case the Cutlass turns out to be awesome, then you could just get another Red and apply the CCU and have both ships. If the rework isn't what the owner wanted then apply CCU and have a Terrapin. If all else fails, melt the CCU for store credit for the CitizenCon sales or something else. Either way you cant lose.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
IMHO Cutlass Red owners should consider getting the CCU to a Terrapin. Don't apply the CCU until the Cutlass rework is done but in case the Cutlass turns out to be awesome, then you could just get another Red and apply the CCU and have both ships. If the rework isn't what the owner wanted then apply CCU and have a Terrapin. If all else fails, melt the CCU for store credit for the CitizenCon sales or something else. Either way you cant lose.
Exactly. I already melted my Red. The Terrapin is made to do the things I was going to mod the Red for. So now I've made room to either buy Black or Blue, or something else entirely.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
@Blind Owl everytime I look at your forum avatar I can't help but smile. It's hideously awesome and the addition of the beer bottle and jeans just wraps it up into a perfect portrait. Well done.
Why thank you sir. I can't quite remember who actually found it, but it was posted on Sam's Coffee Bar thread. It was @Sam K Macer or @ratfeast if I remember correctly. And if I don't, someone will correct me. Haha.
Regardless, thank you.

Forgot your password?