TEST Beer

Mautobu

Rear Admiral
Aug 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Mautobu The Barbarian
I used to be really into brewing beer and want to get into again. I'd like to devise a recipe for TEST Squadron branded beer. Any thoughts on what style it should be?

I was thinking an IPA (India Pale Ale) or ISA (India Session Ale), but I'm open to ideas. I also thought about a mid-west American Lager (Bud Light, basically), so more beers can be consumed, but then I realized that those suck.

Since I'm a Canuck, I thought that a lumberjack would be an appropriate mascot for this. Here is a mock up design:

Testie Lager.png

Reactions: Feral Oxide

Ocean

Rear Admiral
Jul 20, 2015
RSI Handle
0cean
@UbEcLoWn I could do a Belgium Ale. I've done tripels before and one that I nick named the Belgium Quad (one bomber really fucked us up lol). Maybe I'll do that and a IPA?

Yes, they sell for like $10,000.
have you seen the prices on some of the ships... that's nothing (jk)

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I've always been interested in getting into homebrewing, but I only recently got an apartment where that kinda thing might be feasible. My vote would go towards a Belgium as well, if we're not talking porters or stouts.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I've always been interested in getting into homebrewing, but I only recently got an apartment where that kinda thing might be feasible. My vote would go towards a Belgium as well, if we're not talking porters or stouts.
You can easily do a extract homebrew kit in an apartment. Even more so if you have a gas top stove... the biggest challenge with apartment brewing is getting your wort up to temperature and maintain it before the cool down and addition of yeast.

My vote: A custom IPA. Something that speaks to what is TEST to you or the community. I would probably do a fruity IPA (such as a lemon zest) to appeal to my wife (who with my children bottle all of my beers.. sooo yeah gotta play the audience ;) )

Mautobu

Rear Admiral
Aug 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Mautobu The Barbarian
You can easily do a extract homebrew kit in an apartment. Even more so if you have a gas top stove... the biggest challenge with apartment brewing is getting your wort up to temperature and maintain it before the cool down and addition of yeast.

My vote: A custom IPA. Something that speaks to what is TEST to you or the community. I would probably do a fruity IPA (such as a lemon zest) to appeal to my wife (who with my children bottle all of my beers.. sooo yeah gotta play the audience ;) )
Zesty eh? I like it. I reckon a white IPA would support fruity flavors a little better. So, wheat heavy. Some coriander too. Might need a bit of a ph balancer too.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Zesty eh? I like it. I reckon a white IPA would support fruity flavors a little better. So, wheat heavy. Some coriander too. Might need a bit of a ph balancer too.
I've done a white IPA with orange and another one with Lemon. I used peels during the boil and also used orange extract once to get even more flavor. Works pretty well.

I have two kits at home I still have to make... a white ipa and a chocolate stout for the wife. Perhaps I will make them when I get home this week after reading this.... INSPIRED!

Reactions: Mautobu

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Do you guys bother to figure out the alcohol content of your brews? If you do, how do you do it?

BlackHawkK

Space Marshal
Aug 11, 2015
RSI Handle
BlackHawkK
we can go with the weak lager and go with the motto " its like making love, by a stream...." meaning ( its f#$@*ng near water...) :P

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
It's pretty easy - you measure the specific gravity before and after and there's a chart out there that gives you the ABV.

You need one of these: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer-and-wine-triple-scale-hydrometer
My dad brews, and he uses the same thing, but he doesn't think it's very accurate. He's a chemist so we started tinkering around with measuring the CO2 the yeast produces, and calculating from that. It's mostly just for fun, but I was wondering if it might be useful for anyone.

Shutter

Grand Admiral
Mar 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Shutter
Do you guys bother to figure out the alcohol content of your brews? If you do, how do you do it?
I use a device called a Hydrometer. It has three measurement scales on it, specific gravity, balling, and potential alcohol. I use balling. You get your initial reading prior to fermentation, and a reading after fermentation. Get the difference of the two readings, and multiply that number by .42 (not a coincidence) and that will give you the approximate alcohol percent by weight. To get the percent alcohol by volume multiply that number by 1.25.

Or you could just get a measurement off the "potential alcohol" before and after, take the difference, and that is what you have, almost

Example: I make a brew, the wort has an initial ball of 22, and after fermentation a finishing ball of 3. Difference is 19. 19 times .42 is 7.98 percent alcohol by weight. 7.98 times 1.25 is 9.975 percent alcohol by volume.

Reactions: Dalarast
Forgot your password?