TEST Beer

Mautobu

Rear Admiral
Aug 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Mautobu The Barbarian
My dad brews, and he uses the same thing, but he doesn't think it's very accurate. He's a chemist so we started tinkering around with measuring the CO2 the yeast produces, and calculating from that. It's mostly just for fun, but I was wondering if it might be useful for anyone.
THAT'S SO COOL!

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
THAT'S SO COOL!
I thought so too! I'm (very slowly) working on getting a 3d printer going. Once I've got the design worked out and if it's cheap enough, I could probably share a couple with interested TESTies.

As for TEST beer, I think we need 2 beers, one nice and dark, and maybe an IPA for the other, so we can drink black and yellow!

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Hydrometer is used after the boil when you pitch your yeast... and also throughout the fermentation process to see if your beer is coming along where it should. Sometimes you have a stubborn yeast or more to the point to determine if your beer is "ready". I go by the motto of let is ferment longer than "required" to get a better taste. I also do a lot of switching and straining to get a clearer beer.

I use buckets and do not have the room for kegs so I have the ability to switch and clarify my fermentations a lot more than someone who does kegs.... downside is bottling (I have a wife and kids to help with that) and potential of bacteria fracking up my beer.

For people who want to get into brew making and want to start off east... google Ed Worts Apfelwine. Its easy and doesn't require much skill to make something ahhhhh-mazing. Annnnd YES.. I'm the same Dalarast on homebrew forums.. but since I found SC I haven't been on much outside of their private forums.

Mautobu

Rear Admiral
Aug 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Mautobu The Barbarian
I thought so too! I'm (very slowly) working on getting a 3d printer going. Once I've got the design worked out and if it's cheap enough, I could probably share a couple with interested TESTies.

As for TEST beer, I think we need 2 beers, one nice and dark, and maybe an IPA for the other, so we can drink black and yellow!
Well, @Dalarast and I worked out an idea for the yellow (a white fruity IPA), now we just need the black. Some sort of Porter would do nicely, I reckon.

Crawley

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Crawley
I've always been interested in getting into homebrewing, but I only recently got an apartment where that kinda thing might be feasible. My vote would go towards a Belgium as well, if we're not talking porters or stouts.
Why are we not talking porters or stouts? Boulevard Dark Truth is an unfuckingbelieveable stout.

I dunno how skilled OP is, or how technically challenging it is, but I'd also be open for a spelt beer a la Deschutes.

Otherwise I'd vote for an session pale.

Mautobu

Rear Admiral
Aug 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Mautobu The Barbarian
Why are we not talking porters or stouts? Boulevard Dark Truth is an unfuckingbelieveable stout.

I dunno how skilled OP is, or how technically challenging it is, but I'd also be open for a spelt beer a la Deschutes.

Otherwise I'd vote for an session pale.
We're talking about 2 beers representing the TEST logo. https://testsquadron.com/threads/test-beer.4860/page-2#post-61300

As far as skill goes, I know the jargon and I've brewed ~20 batches in the past. Some have been shit, most have been great. I'd like to establish a couple of recipes so that TESTies can brew them at home if they so choose, so a pretty basic recipe would be preferred. Probably going to find something online, then tweak it a bit.

Reactions: Crawley

Romil

Space Marshal
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Romil
I'm happy I get to taste my Summer ESB this weekend. It's been cold conditioning for about a week under pressure, the keg should be about ready to tap.

And really, shouldnt the official TEST beer just be beer? The more the merrier!

Reactions: Mautobu

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
I'd love to put some sort of vote into this and feel like I contributed, but I'm such a novice when it comes to beers... and any other sort of alcohol. I only recently started drinking seriously.

Mautobu

Rear Admiral
Aug 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Mautobu The Barbarian
I'd love to put some sort of vote into this and feel like I contributed, but I'm such a novice when it comes to beers... and any other sort of alcohol. I only recently started drinking seriously.
It's really an open call for ideas at this point. A vote may follow, but in the brainstorming phase it's a little too formal IMO. I know one of my above posts is that our official yellow beer has been decided, but the brewing process takes a long time and it could turn out being shit. Not that I wouldn't drink it, I'd just have 2 better beers first that night then move onto this theoretical shit beer :{P.

Unrelated, I just fat fingered the { key for that emote. I like it. It's like a mustache.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
@Dalarast Do you have the recipe for that white IPA you were talking about? I'd like to have a look.

Found this on homebrewtalk for a full grain recipe...

-----
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3787
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 55.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28
Tasting Notes: Nice cracked wheat flavor with citrus notes

I found this recipe in Zymurgy Volume 35 posted by Brian Faivre of Deschutes Brewery.

Ingredients:
------------
6 lbs 8.0 oz, Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs 4.0 oz, Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz, Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

5.00 ml, Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins)
4.9 oz, Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for30 min]
0.12 oz, Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.34 oz, Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)

1.00 oz, Bravo (Pellets) [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz, Citra (Pellets) [12.00 %] - knockout
1.00 oz, Centennial (Pellets) [10.00 %] - knockout
0.50 oz, Cascade (Pellets) [5.50 %] - knockout
0.9 pkg, Wyeast Labs #3787 Yeast, Trappist High Gravity

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.9 oz
----------------------------
Step 1) 125.0 F, 15 min
Step 2) 145.0 F, 15 min
Step 3) 163.0 F, 20 min
Mash Out 172.0 F, 10 min

Ferment at 66 F for two days, then allow temperature to rise to 74 F until fermentation is complete. I let mine sit at 70 for one week, and then back to 66 F for the remainder of fermentation.

I dropped mine to 42 F for two days before kegging.

------

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
I vote for a Bock

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
It's an awesome site. The clone kits are kick ass on the spot too I like taking favorite clones and changing them to meet a certain goal.... Killarnies red with an ipa twist for example.... Ahhh-mazing.

Forgot your password?