TEST Book Club - February Selection

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
If Kindle is available to you, are any of the Kindle membership, or Amazon Prime membership benefits involving e-books also available?
What sorts of benefits are you referring to? I also use my kindle religiously.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If Kindle is available to you, are any of the Kindle membership, or Amazon Prime membership benefits involving e-books also available?
Looking on the following web page they have this to say about kindle services while a Prime Member:

Reading benefits include:

• Prime Reading: You can borrow books, magazines, and more from the Prime Reading catalog and read them on your Fire tablet, Kindle e-reader, or the Kindle reading apps for iOS and Android. For more information, go to Borrow Books from Amazon Prime Reading.
  • Amazon First Reads: Early access for members in the U.S. to download a new book for free every month from the Amazon First Reads picks. For more information, go to Amazon First Reads. You can also purchase hardcover titles at exclusive prices.
  • Audible Channels for Prime: Unlimited listening to original audio series and playlists handcrafted for every interest. For more information go to Audible Channels for Prime.
I'm not a prime or kindle service subscriber so I get nothing but a box I got like 6 years ago to read stuff on.

Worth noting you don't need a kindle to read kindle book, you can download the app to your phone or tablet and read them there instead of you don't have a kindle but do have an iOS or Android device.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yeah that. The details seems to be different in every region or between two countries in the same region. There's a Kindle version, but I didn't look into it. I've got prime membership about a year and a half ago, just to check it out. Then I forgot to stop checking it out.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I've finished reading it, won't do any spolers until we are allowed to talk about it, however a most enjoyable yarn some of the lines really had me :)
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! Hey @Printimus , when can we all chat about it? Does discussion open once the month ends?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! Hey @Printimus , when can we all chat about it? Does discussion open once the month ends?
Chat about it? Man, I'm waiting for your next story! Get to work. Chop chop! 🥵
Dang I would have made an annoying publisher.

Actually, for now it's probably OK, but I was thinking you might need to find a more private way of having such a discussion in the future.
I don't know if Test forums have that possibility, but I know it can be a problem for authors.

Reactions: Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Chat about it? Man, I'm waiting for your next story! Get to work. Chop chop! 🥵
Well, since you asked so nicely; Stranger From Meclan preview (Password: TESTisBEST )

It aint Star Citizen, but it's more of what I got if you care to see it. (Book 1 of 3 should be out by the end of the year)

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Actually, for now it's probably OK, but I was thinking you might need to find a more private way of having such a discussion in the future.
I don't know if Test forums have that possibility, but I know it can be a problem for authors.
We could put all out comments in spoilers like this:

Like this

Ah, or do you mean any kind of discussion on a public forum?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

Yeah of course you all can talk about it. It's preferable that yall wait until the first half of the month is over so as not to spoil it, but once the nomination/voting for the next month comes around, its all fair game. I'm still working on finishing the book and have accumulated some pretty decent feedback.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
We could put all out comments in spoilers like this:

Like this

Ah, or do you mean any kind of discussion on a public forum?
See it depends on need. If there is no income attached, then all's fair and good you know? But if there's potential income attached, you might want to have some sort of control over how much and when information is shared to the public. Problem is if someone steals your idea, and copyrights it... it's possible you could be on the losing end of the fallout. Yes, even your own idea, and someone else's income.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
See it depends on need. If there is no income attached, then all's fair and good you know? But if there's potential income attached, you might want to have some sort of control over how much and when information is shared to the public. Problem is if someone steals your idea, and copyrights it... it's possible you could be on the losing end of the fallout. Yes, even your own idea, and someone else's income.
That's when I become
and reclaim my royalties in the form of flesh and bloodshed.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
my royalties in the form of flesh and bloodshed.
In Canada, we'd take the guy to lunch, treat him to beer, and drive him home if he drank too much. We might even apologize ffs. Nobody knows why, it just... we open the mouth and "Sorry" pops out. Here in Texas and a few other states, ya'll solve the problems with a 45. Somehow that seems more practical in some situations.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
In Canada, we'd take the guy to lunch, treat him to beer, and drive him home if he drank too much. We might even apologize ffs. Nobody knows why, it just... we open the mouth and "Sorry" pops out. Here in Texas and a few other states, ya'll solve the problems with a 45. Somehow that seems more practical in some situations.
See, I'm from the Pacific NorthWest; which is nearly Canadian. So I would take the guy out to lunch and treat him to a beer....in a ruse to lower his guard so I can choke him out with a belt and shoot him in a Putin-style suicide. Simple, American, stuff here, guys.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's March 1st! Time for feedback:

You really got me with the early abandoned ship filled with corpses. The line "Mr. Hamburger Hands" had me laughing all day and just the general description of the wreck and the dead aboard was really effective.

There were a fair few decent oneliners, Mr. Hamburger Hands was the one that resonated most with me though, perfect match for the situation.

Decent twists and turns, I assumed they'd just get off planet in the landing ship as soon as they got away from picking the dudes up so wasn't expecting them to be grounded again. Nice.

I expected more survivors for some reason, the number of nails had me thinking there would be a bunch of dudes but obviously there was a traumatizing amount of losses when attempting to take the ship or they lost a lot of toops to flooded rooms that I may have missed...? I feel like I missed something?

I always assumed the Aimless would turn up again, so perhaps a paragraph where the Aimless breaks orbit to take care of business could have thrown me off for a bit, they were told to leave but there was nothing to suggest they did... or didn't... actually maybe it's better there isn't that paragraph? Depends on how cynical you are as to what you expect to happen I suppose.

I like the overall UEEN involvement and the original boarding crews part in the story is excellent, wasn't expecting them to find that under the ice... But they seemed to have gotten there prior to the Aimless finding the Jump Point, maybe prior to the original Connie finding it...? I didn't understand how they got into that system if it was an undiscovered and unreported jump-point...? Was there a different jump point the UEE knew about? Or did the Connie get the coordinates to the UEE prior to the Hamburger Hands incident and that guys efforts were futile anyway? If the boarding party had been trapped really as long as they had been, had the UEE known about the system all along? Or did the KingShip escape to this undiscovered system before being partially taken? It the system was known about, the captain may be able to name the Jump Point but he's not going to be able to name a system thats already discovered...? Again probably something I missed.

Otherwise a good yarn, very enjoyable I can definitely say I was entertained. I only got one read-through as I'm dyslexic and it takes me ages to read anything more than three pages without getting tired and falling asleep or having to do two pages forward and one page back as I forget what I read on the previous page... it probably explains the bits I missed ;)

Last edited:

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
It's March 1st! Time for feedback:

You really got me with the early abandoned ship filled with corpses. The line "Mr. Hamburger Hands" had me laughing all day and just the general description of the wreck and the dead aboard was really effective.

There were a fair few decent oneliners, Mr. Hamburger Hands was the one that resonated most with me though, perfect match for the situation.

Decent twists and turns, I assumed they'd just get off planet in the landing ship as soon as they got away from picking the dudes up so wasn't expecting them to be grounded again. Nice.

I expected more survivors for some reason, the number of nails had me thinking there would be a bunch of dudes but obviously there was a traumatizing amount of losses when attempting to take the ship or they lost a lot of toops to flooded rooms that I may have missed...? I feel like I missed something?

I always assumed the Aimless would turn up again, so perhaps a paragraph where the Aimless breaks orbit to take care of business could have thrown me off for a bit, they were told to leave but there was nothing to suggest they did... or didn't... actually maybe it's better there isn't that paragraph? Depends on how cynical you are as to what you expect to happen I suppose.

I like the overall UEEN involvement and the original boarding crews part in the story is excellent, wasn't expecting them to find that under the ice... But they seemed to have gotten there prior to the Aimless finding the Jump Point, maybe prior to the original Connie finding it...? I didn't understand how they got into that system if it was an undiscovered and unreported jump-point...? Was there a different jump point the UEE knew about? Or did the Connie get the coordinates to the UEE prior to the Hamburger Hands incident and that guys efforts were futile anyway? If the boarding party had been trapped really as long as they had been, had the UEE known about the system all along? Or did the KingShip escape to this undiscovered system before being partially taken? It the system was known about, the captain may be able to name the Jump Point but he's not going to be able to name a system thats already discovered...? Again probably something I missed.

Otherwise a good yarn, very enjoyable I can definitely say I was entertained. I only got one read-through as I'm dyslexic and it takes me ages to read anything more than three pages without getting tired and falling asleep or having to do two pages forward and one page back as I forget what I read on the previous page... it probably explains the bits I missed ;)
Thanks for the feedback! You actually left me kicking myself for deleting some scenes that would have been DeCappa's tale of how the boarding action went down. At the time I was considering doing a whole book for DeCappa and his gents that would lead up to the events of THIS book....but CIG never responded, so that tale shall be lost to the void. haha

And as for the UEE being there already, I tried to suggest that Mr Hamburger hands failed to stop the crew of his connie from reporting their findings to the ICC, who then alerted the UEE to the possible Vanduul presence. Yeah....kinda softballed that one in there a little too nonchalantly. Something to fix NEXT TIME!

Thanks again!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thanks for the feedback! You actually left me kicking myself for deleting some scenes that would have been DeCappa's tale of how the boarding action went down. At the time I was considering doing a whole book for DeCappa and his gents that would lead up to the events of THIS book....but CIG never responded, so that tale shall be lost to the void. haha

And as for the UEE being there already, I tried to suggest that Mr Hamburger hands failed to stop the crew of his connie from reporting their findings to the ICC, who then alerted the UEE to the possible Vanduul presence. Yeah....kinda softballed that one in there a little too nonchalantly. Something to fix NEXT TIME!

Thanks again!
Many thanks for the response :) The connie captain eating fresh food was probably the clue I missed that they'd already got the message out.

Kiladyn

Vice Admiral
Dec 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Kiladyn
So I just finished. This book was pretty good. I will say the first chapter dragged for me then it picked up great. I think personally that I felt this were over explained or too specific if that makes sense? Such as the anvil carrack exploration vessel. Where as I think you did great with the armor keeping it light medium heavy ect. I also felt you kinda rushed introducing the character on the Aimless. A minor note that bugged me was that you kept calling the carrack a cruiser. But honestly I really enjoyed this book. Once we were in the connie I had trouble putting it down.

• o7

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
So I just finished. This book was pretty good. I will say the first chapter dragged for me then it picked up great. I think personally that I felt this were over explained or too specific if that makes sense? Such as the anvil carrack exploration vessel. Where as I think you did great with the armor keeping it light medium heavy ect. I also felt you kinda rushed introducing the character on the Aimless. A minor note that bugged me was that you kept calling the carrack a cruiser. But honestly I really enjoyed this book. Once we were in the connie I had trouble putting it down.
Thanks for the feedback! Pacing is definitely something I need to focus more on. As for the general terminology; haha yeah, that's the book showing its age. When I initially wrote it, only the strict concept info had come out with the addition of one interview where it was referred to offhandedly as an "exploration cruiser" and I thought it sounded cool. ¯\(ツ)

Thanks again for the suggestions and I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed it! 🍻

Forgot your password?