TEST FPS Weapons

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
How about this kind of format:

Why no talking? It is your personality that differentiates you from everybody else.

Also, the FPS NPCs were drastically changed in 3.7 to be far more sensitive in detecting players, much more aggressive, and move faster than players. Unless they change that with another patch then you only get 1-2 kills (unless they see you first which happens frequently now) before all others in the area swarm you faster than you can sprint to an exit.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
How about this kind of format:
This also might be specific to me, I recognize my situation is a bit of an edge case ... understatement of the year. But @Deroth is echoing the same thing.

I'm interested in hearing, not reading in a video, otherwise your effort would be better off in a post here, or on a website or blog. If you don't like the sound of your voice, take heart. Almost everyone has a problem with the sound of their own voice. To the rest of the world, your voice would sound normal. But that video, seemed to be about the game play, with the weapons as an overlay only. Make your main topic the focus of what you're presenting.

I would start by simply showing an image of the weapon, talk about it. A few scenes to demonstrate while you talk. You can get software for doing that, actually you're obviously using something like that. A little action isn't bad, but it's about the weapon, not the gameplay - or at least I thought it was supposed to be.

Also, just something to keep in mind. You know in Youtube how there is a running count kept of thumbs up and thumbs down? This might be a bit premature to say but it's not the number of thumbs up that you should pay attention to. It's the number of thumbs down. It's kind of counter intuitive, but you want to target less than 0.2% of the count of likes. The reason why is most people won't vote, but those who like it are far more likely to vote than those who don't. Every Like might be 100 viewers. Every dislike can be thousands.

*** If you have an actual destroyed voice (that is a real thing) or impediment that might prevent someone from understanding you, there are tools to help. Isaac Arthur for example used to display an image of Elmer J Fudd and explain the situation. He's come a long way since those days. The other, and far less attractive option is an AI voice. Both Google and Microsoft have some, and there are other providers. The main drawback is, everyone knows it's an AI voice. they have a tendEncy to put the emphAsis in the wrong syllAble, and the number of mispronunciations are very high.

And before you get depressed, producing videos has a steep learning curve, and I appreciate the effort you're putting into understanding your audience!!! And sorry for the long ass post.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I've just been watching something on YouTube when I've realised that it's relevant to some points that were made in this thread. This relates to the effective range.
We have been discussing things like how come a rifle only has an effective range of 50 meters, when the common sense is that rifles can fire a projectile for several thousands meters.
This video (and also a great channel IMHO) uses a "basic training definition", that a "maximum range is the greatest distance that a projectile can travel and still inflict the wound", while "maximum effective range is the greatest distance at which the average marine can consistently hit a target"

So, then I believe P4-AR having a 50 meters effective range makes sense, as that's about the distance at which you can consistently hit a target, but it doesn't mean that 50 meters is all the distance the projectile travels.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
Ive been using the p8 ballistic smg in star marine with medium armour, i felt invicible 9-0 kill streak in one game, plus the balistics are alot harder to see the source from so another advantage there plus a silencer to boot but my alltime favorite is the custodian smg for sure

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Why do you prefer the SMG over the LMG? Have you tried the Demeco?
I guess the stealth and speed may be the reason: strafing and firing without giving away their position. The Demeco is great in terms of the longevity, and it may well be very useful in prolonged encounters, where you could fall back and heal, and re-engage, since you will run out of ammo very slowly, given the Demeco properties. However, in highly dynamic and intense close quarters encounters something more nimble may give you an advantage, i.e. with an SMG you may be able to aim faster and give enough damage to take down an enemy faster, than you can with Demeco, as well as you can strafe and jump (arcade game style). It also depends on team tactics. A support marine with Demeco may not give a chance to an enemy to jump out of cover with suppressing fire, while other marines with AR or SMG flank the enemy.

Reactions: Cugino83 and Deroth
Forgot your password?