Black_Sunder

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I asked my neighbor who lived/grew up in Hawaii... he said where the fissures have been happening are in rural areas and that they choose to live in that area where that could happen. However he also said this is the first time he's seen something like this for that area. *shrugs* just hearsay from someone who said they lived in Hawaii.. Seeing a river of lava plow into and through a house is insane.... I really hope no one gets hurt.

lol this

To me... that's a good warning by nature to GTFO while you can... but some people are just like... this ^

but... sacrifices have been made to Pele

and... well.... lava seems to love eating perfectly fine mustangs
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5733935/Hawaii-goes-RED-ALERT-major-eruption-Kilauea-volcano.html#v-2319660353515271935

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My boss (Hawaiian) was telling me flights to Hawaii are pretty cheap right now... who wants to go?
If I'm not mistaken, geological events such as volcanic eruptions & earthquakes have been known to trigger tsunamis in the past. If so, there will be some surfers upset with missing out on catching an ultimate killer wave.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
If I'm not mistaken, geological events such as volcanic eruptions & earthquakes have been known to trigger tsunamis in the past. If so, there will be some surfers upset with missing out on catching an ultimate killer wave.
Tsunamis occur when large amounts of rock are suddenly displaced from their original position. If something like the Canary Islands ever experiences flank collapse then the tsunami wave that hits the US East Coast will wipe it out.

cmink

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2017
RSI Handle
cmink
Many reasons to live here! A little sad that the Volcano Wilderness Runs will probably be cancelled. We can still outrun the lava flows and the rocket rocks introduce an added element of difficulty. The Vog can be a real struggle, though.

Aloha!

Aloha.jpg
Onolicious!.jpg
Shave Ice.JPG

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Some stuff you can outrun but IIRC, when Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii the explosion burned all the O2 in the air, and thousands suffocated even before the ash began to fall. When mother nature pops a zit, be careful.

Some things you can't outrun, even in an Aurora.
Pyroclastic flows (Bubbles of 1000 degree Celcius hot volcanic gases which can get farted out by volcanoes sometimes) can travel up to 430mph.

Don't know if thats a risk for this volcanic area, but yeah... 430mph...

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Tsunamis occur when large amounts of rock are suddenly displaced from their original position. If something like the Canary Islands ever experiences flank collapse then the tsunami wave that hits the US East Coast will wipe it out.
Yes. there are some geological features underwater, to the South South-East of the current fissures that indicates this is exactly what this volcano does, from time to time. It's unlikely this time, but it depends on how the eruption develops this time around. The geological features consist of the debris fields from prior collapses of that portion of the island.

Forgot your password?