The Best of Both Worlds

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It's a review of the current tech coming from Magic Leap--augmented reality that lets you see through the glasses but superimposes images on that. So given the development one hopes for (they have multi-billion dollar funding) you could see the inside of your cockpit while flying and your keyboard, sticks, etc too.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
It's a review of the current tech coming from Magic Leap--augmented reality that lets you see through the glasses but superimposes images on that. So given the development one hopes for (they have multi-billion dollar funding) you could see the inside of your cockpit while flying and your keyboard, sticks, etc too.
well i want that now lol

Reactions: Ammorn and Bruttle

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
The first time I hooked up the Rift and played around on it, I fully understood that this is where things are going to end up. I see the tech branching off in two directions, but I think Augmented Reality is going to be the first one to successfully hit mass marketing. In the long run, it's easier to do and more in line with our current technology.

It sounds a bit backward, given the product lines available today, but it's actually not. VR is available today in full consumer versions. However, it is still situational. Most people with a Rift or Vive still play the vast majority of their games outside the headset. It's amazing, sure. I love my Rift. However, it is impractical for the vast majority of the games I play. When I have it on, my wife and daughter might as well be across the country. I have fully checked out of the room and am in another world entirely.

The same goes for anyone playing. Just imagine all the things you do while you are playing a game. You occasionally check your phone. You watch some show on TV. You listen to music or audiobooks, etc. When you're in VR though, that's it. That's what you are doing, nothing else. That's not even counting the other time spent on your PC. You look up stuff on google. You hang out and post ridiculously long replies on forums (ok, that last part is mainly just me...). None of that stuff is practical in VR. So, it's not worth checking completely out of your real world except occasionally. ...not yet at least.

Once haptic feedback and locomotion comes out in a workable form, that all will change. I'm talking about full Ready Player One and Sword Art Online shit. Only then will it be truly emersive enough for people to devote large chunks of time. People will flock to the stores like the latest apple phone and stand in line to buy into this tech. People will sell their cars and ride the bus so they can afford to buy it. They will downgrade their jobs and live in studio apartments so they can spend more time in those worlds. As it is now though, it is too expensive and too situational for the masses to buy in.

Augmented reality though, has real world practical applications. Imagine not having to buy a TV, just an AR headset that projects a perfect 80in 4k screen onto your wall. Imagine your desk without a monitor(s). Imagine popup reminders, 360 degree movies, virtual pets, virtual wall decorations, immersive 3d browsers that act like the interface in ironman. Those will all be possible with AR and it is just around the corner. THAT will be the first to go widespread. It's practical and can change your entire world while still participating in the real world.

or at least that's what I think...

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Imagine your desk without a monitor(s)
nope, impossible
VR is available today in full consumer versions
yeap, I had my first VR experience yesterday. The guy told me that nobody could keep standing at the rollercoaster demo, hell, I didn't told him that I play SC, so after a while he had to remind me that the chair wasn't behind me anymore

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
I can see that connected up to head tracking and Face rig, although the model may need to have glasses. that looks amazing.

Reactions: Ammorn

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Has nobody considered how much they’re going to be molested their spouses when bumbling around the house wearing that?

I just know my wife would be unable to leave me alone with *that* strapped to my face. It’s basically a head-mounted aphrodisiac.

Forgot your password?