The best Star Wars space combat ever is a fan film!

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
The only thing I don't like about it is the director's choices and sometimes the lack of attention to detail in the acting performances. That whole project took immense effort, love, care, and time. But I kept cringing at moments in the performances while I was trying to enjoy it. I don't know the whole backstory, but I would be surprised if the person who directed this was really experienced. An example of excellent directing is Godzilla Minus One. It is a low budget for blockbuster films, but phenomenal directing. If anyone hasn't seen G-1 but loves classical quality cinema, you need to see it. Like right now.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The only thing I don't like about it is the director's choices and sometimes the lack of attention to detail in the acting performances. That whole project took immense effort, love, care, and time. But I kept cringing at moments in the performances while I was trying to enjoy it. I don't know the whole backstory, but I would be surprised if the person who directed this was really experienced. An example of excellent directing is Godzilla Minus One. It is a low budget for blockbuster films, but phenomenal directing. If anyone hasn't seen G-1 but loves classical quality cinema, you need to see it. Like right now.
I've popped G-1 on my to-watch list along with Everything Everywhere All At Once.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well, I just watched the best Star Wars movie of the last 10 years (for the third time and I still smiled from first frame to last). It was a bit strange, while the movie was centered around introducing and training the next generation of diverse yet actually likable heroes for a trench run, they weren't flying the usual X -wings. Instead they used some ancient grey flying things, and they only used the lasers for targeting, not shooting things... weird. But the whole thing was centered around flight combat and it was glorious!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
But damn isn't it just awesome when they make movies with REAL flight footage instead of just CG-ing everything? Makes all the difference in the world, at least IMO!
Hell yes it does!

Ya know, the "mistake" of seeing the reflection of the back of the front seat (and camera slightly) in the actors vizor when it's supposed to be a single seater plane... it's not even a mistake, it just makes it subconsciously even more real, cos it is real! They did the best kind of CG in that movie, where it only adds and hides and enhances stuff where totally necessary, and it remains mostly invisible throughout.
Unlike in the new MI where TC jumps the bike off that insanely high cliff. I watched the short film on how it was made that came out before the movie on YT, it had some B roll and cut raw footage that looked truly breathtaking and I was shitting myself the whole way down cos OMFG that really was an awesome real stunt and so on...
Then they managed to a 100% ruin it in the final cut by cutting back and forth, not letting the audience comprehend the scale of the jump/drop, and also filling it with fake CG crap like fog and clouds and whatnot. Both as a CG artist and as an audience member, I fucking hate what they did with that. It was basically perfect raw as it was filmed, it needed a "simple" rig removal and a replace for the enormous safety cushion on the ground, and that should have been it.

Anyways, for some reason I only found out now that this exists, probably thanks to the YT algorithm taking the hint from me clicking the wingman vid.:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC9fYUDQ6CM

I only watched the first 2 mins then jumped around to see how it goes, as far as I can remember, it is word for word exactly as it is in the book of the same name.
The character renderings are absolutely horrible but recognizable, the VA is atrocious but at least the dialog in itself isn't that cringe cos again, it is word for word from the books. After this initial long cut, the rest of the story seems to continue in short 5 min vids. The last vid is currently at maybe 2/3 way through the book so it will take quiet a while yet until it get's finished.
Wish this whole project was made into a kickstarter with the goal of remaking it with better animation and hiring some more experienced VAs. Although I'm guessing that would be the point where the mouse cracks down on it so it's either this quality or nothing.

Forgot your password?