The Community That Never Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
Recently there has been a lot of anger over RSI going international; this is in part because anyone outside the United States will be subject to VAT and inevitably higher ship prices. In short only American members of the RSI community will be able to purchase ships cheaper than their fellow citizens outside the US.

Personally I don't see what all the hubbub is about. I have always stated that Star Citizen is a business and its constant usage of the 'Community' was simply a means to stoke enthusiasm, hype and inevitably profit from it. What brought me to this conclusion was the simple fact people were getting banned left and right for opinions that did not sit well with fanboys: nothing quells sales more than criticism and tempered optimism! And no doubt my posts expressing as much probably put me square in the sights of certain RSI moderators.

Some people would argue that the recent introduction of VAT does nothing to diminish the so called RSI 'Community'. I on the other hand believe VAT does everything to seal the fate of the 'Community' that never really was: I say 'never was' because a profit based company with 100% control over its members will never place the community's needs over its own. And I think the recent adoption of VAT expressly proves this.

So what is a 'Community' or at least how should it be defined? For me community is comprised of equals who have power over their own destiny. For example, in TEST, anyone can challenge Montoya's leadership and take over - and he may even welcome it after the headaches this post will no doubt cause. Self-determination is essential for any true community as is freedom of expression which are sorely absent on RSI Forums. Also the fact that TEST isn't pushing products at every turn demonstrates that here at least there are no ulterior motives. And I would venture to guess that if not a single person donated a cent to TEST, Montoya would still be at it because it's truly what he loves doing. To me TEST is a Community in every sense of the word - RSI is simply pretending to be.

And again I don't know what all the fuss is about. Companies are there to make money and the more money RSI makes, the better for the game. And I can tolerate the VAT charges I will have to pay although I will be a little more frugal regarding future purchases. But please devs, stop talking about the RSI community all the time - it really isn't funny anymore. After VAT it's downright insulting.

EDIT:

Finally, and after much discussion, I think this post is done and would like to ask mods to close it. I would like to add however that I can only base my opinions on my personal experiences; as a result I take everything CIG does with a grain of salt - because I have seen what they are capable of. I'm sorry but I cannot trust a company that bans people for speaking their mind, especially if CIG doesn't follow their own code of conduct guidelines for banning. And I'm not the only one. Many have been banned - even for wanting to start a woman's organization. And to those who keep saying it was all just a big misunderstanding, do you really think that this person would have been unbanned if the media hadn't interceded? Please....

So my opinion of CIG and Mr. Roberts is always tempered because I have seen some of their handywork up close and have been effected by it. Fortunately for us their handywork, extends beyond moderation: when it comes to building games no one can hold a candle to Mr. Roberts and CIG. I only wish I could be there on Reddit defending Star Citizen but somehow the motivation isn't there. lol. Of course I will never concede that companies with financial interests shouldn't be moderating 'communities' but if anyone is willing to dissuade me of this illusion then I am more than happy to let them try.

In the meantime I must concede that certain TESTies have made some compelling arguments that VAT was inevitable despite not seeing a single link to a reputable document that forces England to abide by the same VAT laws as the rest of Europe. But I would have to say it is logical conclusion that England would also fall under the jurisdiction of VAT despite it's long history of remaining independent. And the fact that said company in England was able to avoid VAT because it was considered a 'sister company that doesn't generate any profit' does make sense. Thanks CG Pepper for that information and I do appreciate your input. But I would appreciate it if you read the original post given that I did explain exactly how I defined Community.

On a personal note, I would like to ask everyone take whatever I say in stride because my history is not your history. We all experience different things and are shaped by them. Mine is particularly skewed so I ask everyone to take everything I say with the same grain of salt that I direct at CIG. I could be wrong. I probably am. But at least here you can prove me wrong. And that's what a real community does: it discusses, analysis, argues, helps and even endures its more vocal members - and it even forgives. And that is something you will never find in the RSI community. Oh and it drinks, but you already knew that.

Joe

Last edited:

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Here's how I see it: It's a legal obligation - the folks getting mad about VAT should be getting mad at their countries for getting involved with that nonsense.

You shouldn't be upset at RSI, period. The fact is, they do business in Europe, and they are obligated to deal with VAT. To do otherwise would bring legal repercussions.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
The whole VAT thing is being blown out of proportions, imo. This is nothing specific to Star Citizen. Europeans have been paying VAT for everything else. It shouldn't be a sudden "OMG WTF CIG! YOU SUCK!". As NKato said, it's a legal obligation. People are getting pissed at CIG for not participating in tax-evasion? It all seems very silly.

Disclaimer: I actually know nothing on the specifics of VAT or European laws.

Statix

Commander
Dec 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Statix
In short only American members of the RSI community will be able to purchase ships cheaper than their fellow citizens outside the US.
To be clear, those US citizens that aren't legally forced to pay tax at the time of purchase (like Texas as noted above) are supposed to state it at the end of the year. RSI was forced to charge VAT and everyone else is supposed to be paying tax as well... at least in the US.

And again I don't know what all the fuss is about.
Then why perpetuate the fuss?

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
"We now return to tonight's episode of Jeopardy"

"I'll take amazing internet technology for 500, Alex."

"This service allows one to access the internet through the internet, with their new internet's point of origin being listed in practically any location on earth."

"What is a proxy?"

If European p[layers REALLY don't want to pay vat, there are always way around it.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
Good points but was RSI served notice about tax invasion? Did any officials notify RSI and ask why they weren't charging VAT?

Also if SC hasn't been charging VAT as they are suppose to, aren't they liable for tax evasion? Is ignorance now justification for tax evasion?

Last edited:

Statix

Commander
Dec 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Statix
Good points but was RSI served notice about tax invasion? Did any officials notify RSI and ask why they weren't charging VAT?
The laws changed and required it. This wasn't an option for RSI, it was a legal requirement.

Statix

Commander
Dec 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Statix
To elaborate:
"What is going to change per 1 January 2015?
Based on this new VAT rule, your EU company must pay VAT in the EU country of establishment of your customers."

Now, since RSI didn't enforce this until Feb 1st that tells me that they ate VAT on all EU purchases for the Anniversary sale or their German office wasn't official until February 1st.

At worst it was compliance to law, at best they ate the additional cost as a favor to EU customers... neither of which justify any negativity towards RSI.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
To elaborate:
Based on this new VAT rule, your EU company must pay VAT in the EU country of establishment of your customers."

Now, since RSI didn't enforce this until Feb 1st that tells me that they ate VAT on all EU purchases for the Anniversary sale or their German office wasn't official until February 1st.

At worst it was compliance to law, at best they ate the additional cost as a favor to EU customers... neither of which justify any negativity towards RSI.
'pay VAT in the EU country of establishment of your customers'. So this would require an office or branch? No?

Statix

Commander
Dec 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Statix
Here is the entire quote:

Based on this new VAT rule, your EU company must pay VAT in the EU country of establishment of your customers. In the above example, your Dutch company will have to pay different VAT rates applicable in each of the EU countries where your private customers are located. This means for example that your Dutch company will need to pay 21% Dutch VAT for the fees collected from your Dutch private customers, 25% Swedish VAT from your Swedish private customers and 19% German VAT from your German customers, etc. In principle this new rules mean that if you have private customers in each of the 28 EU countries, you will need to register for VAT in each of the 28 EU countries, file VAT returns in each of these 28 countries and charge local VAT with different rates in each of the 28 countries, etc."

As long as they have an office anywhere in EU, VAT must be paid to the country the customer resides in. They have a UK office currently and they are opening an office in Germany.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
Interesting. But given EVERY single response here was from an American, I would definitely like to hear from the other side of the pond. Is this indeed the case or was there absolutely no other recourse. Moreover at the rate SC is raking it in couldn't they simply pay the VAT tax? You know, for the community.

Kratok

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Kratok
Interesting. But given EVERY single response here was from an American, I would definitely like to hear from the other side of the pond. Is this indeed the case or was there absolutely no other recourse. Moreover at the rate SC is raking it in couldn't they simply pay the VAT tax? You know, for the community.
They lowered they price of ships in Euros to compensate for the vat increase.

TriteBoon

Space Marshal
Apr 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Trite
Wait so "some people" thought that CIG was trying to get more cash out of them with VAT ?

Kratok

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Kratok
Then why are Europeans complaining about the prices being higher now?
Not sure. It's possible they raised them after some non Europeans were talking about paying in euros to get cheaper ships. It was all over reddit. But at the end of the day they had the sale for over a week so that people could get ships. They were supposed to only have wave 2 ships but were kind enough to sell the carrack and the reclaimer again. It sucks for new players but older players have no excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?