The Division 2 - Another letdown like Anthem or promising? Any insights?

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
The pass costs $40 USD and will grant players seven-day early access to all post-launch episodes during the game's first year, as well as instant access to any new specializations. Pass holders will also get eight Classified Assignments and a slew of exclusive cosmetics. You get all DLC free. All year one pass does is give you very minimal to almost nothing except headstarts on dlc and easier access to new specializations that anyone can unlock in game. The classified assignments offer nothing that can't be obtained in game. This was all stated by the devs on live streams and news feeds
to me being a week behind friends who have it is a big deal for me, because if they play as much as I do they will always be a week ahead unless i buy the pass :\ I enjoy experiencing content with friends at the same time and getting the same experience, not having everyone know how to do it before i get there. So now i have to pay in order to experience the content with friends :C

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
to me being a week behind friends who have it is a big deal for me, because if they play as much as I do they will always be a week ahead unless i buy the pass :\ I enjoy experiencing content with friends at the same time and getting the same experience, not having everyone know how to do it before i get there. So now i have to pay in order to experience the content with friends :C
Quite the opposite, actually.

The vast majority of people are waiting. Thus most of your friends are also waiting.

If you want to play with friends, you should NOT buy the more expensive headstart package, and instead you should pay less, and wait, like most of your friends will do.

EDIT: As a practical matter, all people play at different rates anyway. You will never get more than the first few hours "learning together" before one of your buddies gets more hours than you. This is more and more the case the older you get when people have more RL obligations.

Reactions: Bambooza

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Quite the opposite, actually.

The vast majority of people are waiting. Thus most of your friends are also waiting.

If you want to play with friends, you should NOT buy the more expensive headstart package, and instead you should pay less, and wait, like most of your friends will do.

EDIT: As a practical matter, all people play at different rates anyway. You will never get more than the first few hours "learning together" before one of your buddies gets more hours than you. This is more and more the case the older you get when people have more RL obligations.
i think my friends would get the season pass unless you are talking about you guys. I got other friends besides test, i swear D: Most of my friends are impatient and since we mix and match other people and they have the season pass they will always be progressing and I loathe the idea of having to pay to keep pace with friends -.- that is not affecting my gameplay it might as well be DLC at that point imo if its going to push me to buy a dlc early pass which is the same cost as dlc season pass just to enjoy the content with friends on a fresh set of eyes. It benefits people who dont want to pay though which is nice.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
Don't let him fool you thats @sum1 and @Montoya special chat time and they figured they would grab the Division voice channel since no one plays the game and thus get some privacy.
be cool man... don't rat us out... the sweet nothings Montoya whispers in my ear are none of your business.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
The pass costs $40 USD and will grant players seven-day early access to all post-launch episodes during the game's first year, as well as instant access to any new specializations. Pass holders will also get eight Classified Assignments and a slew of exclusive cosmetics. You get all DLC free. All year one pass does is give you very minimal to almost nothing except headstarts on dlc and easier access to new specializations that anyone can unlock in game. The classified assignments offer nothing that can't be obtained in game. This was all stated by the devs on live streams and news feeds
They are using a content system similar to R6S season pass after seeing it’s sucess, according to a few people there.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Such an ugly truth. I think i need more beer.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
i think my friends would get the season pass unless you are talking about you guys. I got other friends besides test, i swear D: Most of my friends are impatient and since we mix and match other people and they have the season pass they will always be progressing and I loathe the idea of having to pay to keep pace with friends -.- that is not affecting my gameplay it might as well be DLC at that point imo if its going to push me to buy a dlc early pass which is the same cost as dlc season pass just to enjoy the content with friends on a fresh set of eyes. It benefits people who dont want to pay though which is nice.
Well isn't the whole matter of your friends outside TEST getting the season pass something you should ask them about? Just ask who is getting the season pass out of your friends. You will always have people around who didn't get it as well. I have the Ultimate edition and I'm sure there will be times when I miss the early access on the DLC's as Division isn't my only game, nor my primary game and add in real life on top.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Well isn't the whole matter of your friends outside TEST getting the season pass something you should ask them about? Just ask who is getting the season pass out of your friends. You will always have people around who didn't get it as well. I have the Ultimate edition and I'm sure there will be times when I miss the early access on the DLC's as Division isn't my only game, nor my primary game and add in real life on top.
True, but why would you force people to make this choice?

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
They are using a content system similar to R6S season pass after seeing it’s sucess, according to a few people there.
Yea, that method only works with fps multiplayer games where maps and new characters dont affect the overall progression. Waiting for a new map doesnt stop me from progressing in those games. In a rpg game you halt progression and split the community for a week. Its a soft lock out and those who dont purchase it get left behind and if PvP is integrated into this as well you now stem progression in a rank system. Which then effectively turns it into a pay 2 win system if it affects anything ranked or pvp related. I dont know enough about it though to make a decision so we shall see, im still waiting to see how the end game content is and so are my friends.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Anybody interested in playing Division 2, make sure you join the TEST Discord and enable Division 2 channels!

After you verify yourself, go to the #game-roles channel and click the Division 2 reaction. This will enable you to see the Division 2 stuff.

There is a channel there where you can post your Ubisoft ID so other TEST Division 2 players can add you as a friend, and you can add the other people there as friends. Never want for friends to play the game with!

Get on Discord.

@Phil I'm looking at you! 😋

I will be on this weekend, I am level 7 but its been a rough week I am tired so I only hop on for an hr or two but fri/sat off I will be on for sure!!! :p

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
That's on the consumer at that point. The content is available to everyone, for free. If people want to pay for a year pass to play said content 7 days early, that is their choice. Everyone will have access to everything and crucial content such as raids will be available at the same time to everyone. Getting early access to things has always been a paid feature in games for a long time, Ubisoft is not the first time a company has done it. It's better than some games which locks content behind yearly passes or subscriptions compared to those that don't get the year pass or sub.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I think you're putting way too much emphasis on the early start.

This game, like so many others, are ultimately gated by RNG.

No matter how badly you want to be the very best, it doesn't really matter. Someone else will always play as much or more than you, and someone else is almost always going to have better RNG luck than you.

So you'll have to play and play and play hoping to get that sweet perfect drop. Some noob will come in and get that drop the first time he runs the raid. You will have to run the raid 50 times before it drops.

Who cares that you started a week early? It's 1 extra chance at a drop (assuming weekly raids) at maximum in the end game. It literally means nothing in the big picture.

Reactions: Thraesh

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I think in a pvp situation early access is a no no, even if its only a day a week or a month, you are forcing people to pay to be competitive, pve not so much. Now I do not know what advantages we will have if any in pvp I am purely speculating overall when it comes to gaming people should never have the option to pay to win even if its a short time period.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I think in a pvp situation early access is a no no, even if its only a day a week or a month, you are forcing people to pay to be competitive, pve not so much. Now I do not know what advantages we will have if any in pvp I am purely speculating overall when it comes to gaming people should never have the option to pay to win even if its a short time period.

Standard PVP FPS like Counterstrike, Quake or StarMarine were you don't unlock or gain gear that effects your stats then I would say a early access has no impact. But for games like Anthem, The Division and even games like Battlefield would have an impact on those who came to the game later as they now have a tactical disadvantage against the players who got in first. This is not to down play the other disadvantage of different luck and time commitment players have with the game. And in the end is a day really that big of an impact that can not be overcome in a week or two's time?

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
Anybody interested in playing Division 2, make sure you join the TEST Discord and enable Division 2 channels!

After you verify yourself, go to the #game-roles channel and click the Division 2 reaction. This will enable you to see the Division 2 stuff.

There is a channel there where you can post your Ubisoft ID so other TEST Division 2 players can add you as a friend, and you can add the other people there as friends. Never want for friends to play the game with!

Get on Discord.

@Phil I'm looking at you! 😋

We removed the roles thing on discord right? I think this is why some people thought we didn't have channels set up for certain games.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Standard PVP FPS like Counterstrike, Quake or StarMarine were you don't unlock or gain gear that effects your stats then I would say a early access has no impact. But for games like Anthem, The Division and even games like Battlefield would have an impact on those who came to the game later as they now have a tactical disadvantage against the players who got in first. This is not to down play the other disadvantage of different luck and time commitment players have with the game. And in the end is a day really that big of an impact that can not be overcome in a week or two's time?
In pvp there are 3 people, people with time, people with money, and people with both. If someone has time and money + skill you will never over come them. In this case it would be subtle in comparision to games like mobile, but if there was a rank system in place then it would affect greatly. You get content a week ealier, you learn the ins and outs a week earlier. While a person who just entered the content after a week they are learning the new content while the person with a week head start is learning more advance content or mechanics. In pvp related a week is a huge issue. Imagine if people could pay in mmos to get access to new raids a week in advance where people fight for world first. In PVE games like this if you want to claim victory on raids for worlds first you now HAVE to pay to get access to the new content. PVE even has rankings for clearing amongst others.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
In pvp there are 3 people, people with time, people with money, and people with both. If someone has time and money + skill you will never over come them. In this case it would be subtle in comparision to games like mobile, but if there was a rank system in place then it would affect greatly. You get content a week ealier, you learn the ins and outs a week earlier. While a person who just entered the content after a week they are learning the new content while the person with a week head start is learning more advance content or mechanics. In pvp related a week is a huge issue. Imagine if people could pay in mmos to get access to new raids a week in advance where people fight for world first. In PVE games like this if you want to claim victory on raids for worlds first you now HAVE to pay to get access to the new content. PVE even has rankings for clearing amongst others.

Don't forget the wonderful RNG and its effect even with a head start sometimes lady luck does not smile upon you and thus you get stuck at a tier.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
You make a valid point, which pertains to the tiny, TINY number of players who care about sinking their entire life into a single game and not eating, breathing, sleeping or othering.

I can't say that I care about those people.

Also, this seems to be a common complaint from you, that nobody should ever have to pay anything except the bare minimum price, and yet nobody should ever be able to buy anything more than the bare minimum price either.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think the consequence of that is that the game would COST MORE for everybody. I think that's dumb, personally. Let it cost less, and let people who really care about it pay extra. This makes it cheaper for the vast majority of players, which increases the number of players, and is good overall, I think, in spite of a few minor annoyances it might cause.

We can agree to disagree. 😄

Forgot your password?