The future of gaming

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This 'aint the future of games, it's the present.

Someone I know is playing a game like this, not this example it's not a random lucky draw loot dispenser but something with similar revenue mechanics...

...they've been through 2x phones and I think that game is the only non-default app which has made it through both migrations...?

They are a completionist and their game has a soap-style storyline which you get another part of the story after every level so where the guy in the video says there isn't a progression style exploit because it costs too much to make new levels I'd say he is wrong: in this case it's a candy crush style puzzler with an ongoing storyline so the new levels are quick and simple to make... My friend is over 1,500 levels in. There is all the monetisation junk, time stall and progression ease spend in there which doesn't help, but it appears it's the rolling soap opera story which keeps them going back to it...

I'd wonder if every mobile game of any quality isn't using these revenue methods these days?

They also used to play a Facebook Game, can't remember which one soone kind of gardening monster game or maybe it was a NICS branded puzzler or a Harry Potter wizard clone...? They used to play them all... Anyway, the game servers were closed with only a weeks notice and it vanished - they were furious. I was like aww, all that time invested and it's gone and they were like, no, all that money spent. They refused to tall me how much, but they said it was "more than was sensible"... I fear what I will find out the day their mobile App game is no longer supported on the latest operating systems... Just like the FB game, that day will come... I suspect it may be something that is more than sensible...

Last edited:

Hogan_Dou

Captain
Jul 12, 2020
RSI Handle
Hogan_Dlb
Gacha games have already dominate the Chinese gaming market for at least 5 years. it is nothing new because Japanese have already doing it a decade and we Chinese “learned” that. These type works in the otaku games but not really for most of the PC/ Console gaming like some of the EA’s work. Still a interesting video though.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
well, some of us have already sunk nearly a decade into Star Citizen

there are SC whales that have spent thousands on ships

and there isn't even a playable game yet

what does that make us?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
well, some of us have already sunk nearly a decade into Star Citizen

there are SC whales that have spent thousands on ships

and there isn't even a playable game yet

what does that make us?
Crowd funders/Project backers.

There is filling a publishers bank account with a full price title which also tempts you with Lootbox money transactions and swallowing monetization after monetization after monetization until there are more money mechanics in a game than there is gameplay itself (in a £60 pay-to-own title no less!), and there is donating to a project which is building and growing in front of our very eyes.

Last edited:

Lethal1961

Commander
Donor
Feb 27, 2022
RSI Handle
lethal1961
The things he brings up are all over alot of games several I have played for years are that way now with the battle passes and loot boxes. Some rarely even put out content to be purchased you haft to gamble and try to get it in a loot box .
Yeah it's definitely a game mechanic that more and more will be going to sadly. Thanks for the video 👍 .

Reactions: Bruttle

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I've heard plenty of stories about people getting caught up in these mechanics. I don't think it's the future of gaming though. I think it's more about developers cashing in on the lack of regulation. The gatcha and loot box mechanics are 100% unregulated gambling. The same triggers, designs, and psychological ploys that have been developed since the late 1800's in the gambling industry are being used to full effect by these developers. Multiple countries are attempting to abolish them as a result. They are predatory and scummy. It should be only a matter of time before this door is shut... I hope.

As for the morality of it, I can't really blame them. These developers are not here to provide us entertainment. They don't set out to make the perfect game that we all want to play. Whether or not we want to play their game is a byproduct of how successfully they achieve their primary goal. Their goal is to make as much money as possible. If that means crossing a few lines, so be it. If that means catering to 1,000 whales while pissing off 1,000,000 free players, so be it.

Is it right? No. Can I blame them? Also, no. People are willingly paying into these mechanics to the tune of billions of dollars. I can't even begin to list the shitty things I would do for a cool billion...

Reactions: Lethal1961

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Update on my friend - I witnessed them drop £70 on it in one go... I asked what was going on and they said it was just boosters to get through tricky bits and extra move credits as it had an artificial move limiter you either had to wait to replenish or pay to play.

I asked if that was the first time they'd paid over what a full AAA game costs on a mobile free to play game. Nope, they pay that much about twice a month.

Lethal1961

Commander
Donor
Feb 27, 2022
RSI Handle
lethal1961
Crazy. Guy I work with was into World of Tanks for over 10k, and some tower/castle game (game of war?) for another 10k
He said it was to speed up leveling.
Wow that's crazy I have played WOT since closed beta and other that a few premium tanks I have probably spent less than 300 bucks for all the years I have played . I can't play regularly but have over 35 tier X tanks with more than 45k battle's .

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Update on my friend - I witnessed them drop £70 on it in one go... I asked what was going on and they said it was just boosters to get through tricky bits and extra move credits as it had an artificial move limiter you either had to wait to replenish or pay to play.

I asked if that was the first time they'd paid over what a full AAA game costs on a mobile free to play game. Nope, they pay that much about twice a month.
Not just that, but paying over a full AAA to remove ... penalization for not paying more (over a AAA title)?

What in the actual fuck? That is crazy...well, I shouldn't get judgmental. Clearly, at that point, one is addicted to the game, and the developers are exploiting all those cognitive decision-making errors we are all suspect to (sunken costs, avoidance of loss / fear of regret, etc.).

I just want my games to be a test of my skills or decision-making, and I'd like to just be able to get better by playing more and understanding the game more. I don't want my game to be a giant mind-fuck that preys on me (SC gets a pass because it is still alpha...talk about mind-fucks sometimes, ha ha).

minor_accident

Captain
Mar 25, 2022
RSI Handle
minor_accident
Crazy. Guy I work with was into World of Tanks for over 10k... He said it was to speed up leveling.
I've spent more than I should have on WOT, but nowhere remotely near that. It's a fool's errand to think Tanks is truly PTW. Sure, you can go cash-buy a fabulous tier 8 premium, crew, or equipment, but if you don't understand armor/penetration mechanics, effective positioning, battle progression awareness, etc., you're just going to die. Spend as much as you want to get farmed, or learn the game. There are some games out there where cash purchases will make you super-OP, but tanks isn't one of them! Don't get me wrong, it helps... But if you suck, you suck expensively.

Forgot your password?