The future of Spectrum in the PU?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wondering through the wilderness recently I found myself in the shadow of a vast mountain home to a huge salt mine. In the shadow of the mountain, but sheltered away from the mine, I stumbled across a fallow garden. It lay empty but with rich soil - little touched but full of potential.

That garden is the TEST org forum section of Spectrum.

I am expending a little effort to breathe some life in to SpecTESTrum at the moment, as Spectrum is eventually supposed to be implemented in game in the Persistent Universe and I have a theory when it does it'll suddenly have a lot more point to it - somewhere for TESTies inside and outside of the game to converse with each other at the same time without having to run the gauntlet of the greater Spectrum experience.

Right now SpecTESTrum is quiet and peaceful with a population of 1 regular (myself) and a few visitors and it's a nice place to be if things get too Extra elsewhere, so please feel free to swing on by and start a few threads and sew a few seeds to see if we can bring the garden to life.

Will it catch on? I don't know it depends on how well they weave it into the game, but if it does there'll be someone there to provide a welcome.

Has anyone seen anything recently on how they intend to integrate Spectrum in game and if we think it'll catch on for casuals who won't be bothered or in some cases able to dual box or have a browser running other comms in the background?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Wondering through the wilderness recently I found myself in the shadow of a vast mountain home to a huge salt mine. In the shadow of the mountain, but sheltered away from the mine, I stumbled across a fallow garden. It lay empty but with rich soil - little touched but full of potential.

That garden is the TEST org forum section of Spectrum.

I am expending a little effort to breathe some life in to SpecTESTrum at the moment, as Spectrum is eventually supposed to be implemented in game in the Persistent Universe and I have a theory when it does it'll suddenly have a lot more point to it - somewhere for TESTies inside and outside of the game to converse with each other at the same time without having to run the gauntlet of the greater Spectrum experience.

Right now SpecTESTrum is quiet and peaceful with a population of 1 regular (myself) and a few visitors and it's a nice place to be if things get too Extra elsewhere, so please feel free to swing on by and start a few threads and sew a few seeds to see if we can bring the garden to life.

Will it catch on? I don't know it depends on how well they weave it into the game, but if it does there'll be someone there to provide a welcome.

Has anyone seen anything recently on how they intend to integrate Spectrum in game and if we think it'll catch on for casuals who won't be bothered or in some cases able to dual box or have a browser running other comms in the background?

Not a clue as far as I know spectrum is a dumpster fire that still doesn't have all the features of the forum it replaced and why I still do not trust turbulent.

But I thank you for an enjoyable read none the less and bid you safe adventures in that most forsaken land.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Not a clue as far as I know spectrum is a dumpster fire that still doesn't have all the features of the forum it replaced and why I still do not trust turbulent.

But I thank you for an enjoyable read none the less and bid you safe adventures in that most forsaken land.
Well there is the thing. SpecTESTrum is hosted on Spectrum but it is entirely separate from it. You don't have to go into main spectrum at all, you can just hang out in the TEST part and make a Glorious little Eden in the shadow of the mountain with the rumbling salt mine inside it and never be aware it's there...

I know what you mean about old forum features but if we stop thinking of spectrum as being a new forum and start thinking of it as being a new inner/outer PU comms independent from forums at all, it fits much better... which reminds me I have to report a bug I think I've found... :like:

And this is what I'm wondering about when Speccy gets in to the Mobiglas in the PU. For a large part of the player base (casuals) I'm betting they'll be using that in game and out of game as their game comms especially if a lot of the NPC comms is entwined in there too, maybe not in Spectrum but in an app in the Mobiglas right next to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Burn it with fire!
Don't get me wrong, it will never replace a proper forum like Testsquardon.com, it's a totally different and independent thing to be used in an independent and different way, especially if you don't have to use the salt-mine part of it.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well there is the thing. SpecTESTrum is hosted on Spectrum but it is entirely separate from it. You don't have to go into main spectrum at all, you can just hang out in the TEST part and make a Glorious little Eden in the shadow of the mountain with the rumbling salt mine inside it and never be aware it's there...

I know what you mean about old forum features but if we stop thinking of spectrum as being a new forum and start thinking of it as being a new inner/outer PU comms independent from forums at all, it fits much better... which reminds me I have to report a bug I think I've found... :like:

And this is what I'm wondering about when Speccy gets in to the Mobiglas in the PU. For a large part of the player base (casuals) I'm betting they'll be using that in game and out of game as their game comms especially if a lot of the NPC comms is entwined in there too, maybe not in Spectrum but in an app in the Mobiglas right next to it.
The honest truth is I don't have the time or desire to go anywhere else at the moment. I don't even go on Discord or guided and I can't remember the last time I logged into SC.

As for spectrum being a in-game out of game communications platform I know that was the intention but I have zero faith in turbulent abilities to pull it off.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The honest truth is I don't have the time or desire to go anywhere else at the moment. I don't even go on Discord or guided and I can't remember the last time I logged into SC.

As for spectrum being a in-game out of game communications platform I know that was the intention but I have zero faith in turbulent abilities to pull it off.
yeah I'm not into all those voice comms channels either. I'll have time for that if I ever retire.

I understand your opinion on Spectrum. You'll be aware I've been a critic too but if it's ever going to work someone's gotta use it and that someone is me :like:

Reactions: Aramsolari
Forgot your password?