The Hawk is awesome!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .but honestly aside from the EMP, I believe the stalker or cutty blue are better hunters. . .
Yes, but isn't the EMP the game changer? The Warlock and Raven don't have room for a boarder or captive. If the Hawk pulses a target, and a comrad climbs out of the rear seat, uses a boarding charge on the target and takes the captive, he can then fly the captive's ride home. The Hawk is a poor man's privateering vessel.

Reactions: Talonsbane

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Yes, but isn't the EMP the game changer? The Warlock and Raven don't have room for a boarder or captive. If the Hawk pulses a target, and a comrad climbs out of the rear seat, uses a boarding charge on the target and takes the captive, he can then fly the captive's ride home. The Hawk is a poor man's privateering vessel.
To a certain extent. And counting on the fact you have a friend handy. They have mentioned EMP missiles. Which is a slightly concerning idea? Why arm anything else, something to be said for disabling any opponent, then capturing a ship or blowing it to atoms.

Of course, all this stuff will go through endless balance passes, probably end up being a shield modulator or insulated components that protects against this kind of thing. Might devolve into a twitch scenario. Someone picks up a hawk on scanners you don't know, most people are going to get into the mindset it's better to deal with the threat early or run than get disabled. It may come down to Han Solo style, who shoots first, emp discharge or the guy locking on a pair of missiles, one of which is a s3 emp.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
I try to ignore the EMP on the Hawk. I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist for the most part, and use the weapons to disable/cripple the enemy ship, using the maneuverability and durability to my advantage. I see this as a ship I'll use for targeting one specific person, not for flying around and gathering up a bunch of crooks then turning them all in to the UEE. If I need a certain ship completely undamaged, I'll have a buddy distract them and whittle their shields down, then pop the EMP and fry their ship.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
They have mentioned EMP missiles. Which is a slightly concerning idea?.
Yes, there are three ways to disable a ship: distortion weapons, spike missiles and EMPs. Distortion weapons have very limited range, as does the EMP, but spike missiles have long ranges.

At present it appears spike missiles will be hard to get. The only ones presently showing are the Arrester III missiles that come with the Sentinel. S3s are supposed to be hard to shake, have 9km range, are the fastest of the S1, S2 and S3 missiles, and do 1,500 points distortion damage. That should be enough to stop any small bird with a single shot.

You do well to be afraid of them, but they will be expensive, and the EMP charges cost nothing.

Hence "poor man's privateering vessel". The next step up is a Sentinel, and that's three times the price plus missiles.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I dont even care about bounty hunting, or EMPs, it looks good and flies well.

Its firepower is hardly worth mentioning as it’s pitiful, it is absolutely meant to be tackling basic mission board bounty hunting missions, “deal with Conrad McMadupname, he has been terrorising the local corner shop in his supped up aurora, the reward is 2500UEC and 100 rep with the advocacy”

Its not meant for being your actual bounty hunting proffesion ship, you are going to need something more along the lines of a Krait or Viper from elite, a medium combat vessel, forward firing weapons, fast, room for weapons, can take a hit, customisable etc, a ship which CIG dont currently offer.

The best you can feasibly field is the Cutlass blue, and thats not really anything to write home about.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Don't get me wrong, I own one. I think it's a bad- ass looking ship, It's the ship i was fully planning on operating alone in, working a single system (until I have it moved) power landing in the middle of a "family gathering" shooting the mark in the crotch, tossing them in the back seat and burning off again.

If marks start running across multiple systems, I'll break out the stalker or the cutty blue.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Its not meant for being your actual bounty hunting profession ship, you are going to need something more along the lines of a Krait or Viper from elite, a medium combat vessel, forward firing weapons, fast, room for weapons, can take a hit, customizable etc, a ship which CIG dont currently offer.
The Lancer, all four Vanguards and the 600i all work fine for small team bounty hunting. They're all fast, they can all disable with S3 missiles or guns, and they all have room for your catch. If you want to rely on guns and stealth, the Prowler will do the job too.

Of these the Vanguards are the fastest, probably will have the best shields, and have the best missile lock system which is important. If you want life support for more than two, choose the Hoplite. You can put a team of 8 in that if you really want to. People are not getting how mighty the Vanguards really are.

Still no word on what the missile situation is with the Prowler. At first was no missiles but I heard they are rethinking it.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I dont know about pitiful. Get a decent load out and it has DPS close to other light fighters. And it has an EMP.
It has an EMP which has the shortest range out of all other EMP weapons in the game, and its standard load out is not great.

Look, i love it, its an absolute dream to fly, but its not for anything more than scrubbing around in beginner bounty hunting missions.

There could well be some uber badasses who can make it sing and will no douby be taking Bengal captains out with it while they are in their Bengal, surrounded by entire fighter squadrons and 50 or so marines, but thats not your average pilot.

I think the Stalker is a better beginner bounty hunter, simply because it can hold more marks, packs more firepower, and has more endurance, but its nowhere near as cool looking, or as fun to fly.

Forgot your password?